• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quality Comix vs. Greg Jortner - Important Information For The Community

324 posts in this topic

In this case, I don't believe a written contract is necessary, just proof that the money was loaned.

The court will go under the assumption that if you were loaning money in a partnership, that the goal would be to recoup your entire investment plus a profit.

Quality Comix needs to prove that they loaned Jortner money (canceled check, etc.), have an inventory of the books purchased by Jortner, and provide records of the books sold on E-Bay.

Without a contract this is a partnership. It sounds like Jortner did the leg work to find the books, and handled the selling of the books. A court would rule how equal the partnership is. One guy wrote a check and the other guy did all the work. Both are important aspects to the partnership.

Now if Jortner bought 200 books, sold 100, and is still holding the other 100 AND not paying Quality back, he is obviously in the wrong. If he bought 200, sold 200, and only shared half the money from 100 of them with Quality, he is obviously in the wrong. If he bought and sold all the books, and they just didn't earn enough to recoup the full $10k, then I don't think Jortner is obligated to be the only one left holding the bag. Also, if that were the case, Quality should have gotten the entire $4k back. Quality would loose money on the deal, and Jortner would loose time, which is what each partner put into the deal.

Now for another question. How come when you hear about shady comic deals, it almost always seems to involve someone from New York or New Jersey? The lesson I've learned is to never enter into business dealings with anyone from New York or New Jersey. It seems this is true for comics, baseball cards, major electronics, real estate, etc. It just seems like this area is the fraud capital of the US.

This is the 2nd time in less than a few weeks where someone has said they wouldn't do business with someone from NY or NJ. Statements like this are unecessary and not based on fact only on a few bad apples. I, myself, am from NY and have never had a bad transaction either here, ebay, or the valiant message boards. Korvac Saga (NY) and burntboy (NJ) Mutant Keys (NY) and I am sure many other NY/NJ people are above the line people as well. If I have forgotten anyone :foryou: Please don't lump us all into "bad NY/NJ people" . That's just not a fair assessment.

You may not like ComicLink, Metro, or Silver Age, and if that's the case, don't deal with them. Your general prejudice against the entire NY/NJ region is just wrong and, if I may be so bold, uneducated. Shady dealings happen every day in every corner of the world...don't make assumptions on your limited knowledge/prejudice. This mess pisses me off...

Bill

(Proud NYer)

Raises hand...New York!

It's just the concentration of population here...I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you'd find the same percentage of crooks anywhere, we just have more and better newspapers and more publicity;) Meanwhile, I read one of the threads that mentioned a comic book store named Fantasia in Westchester...I never bought any back issues when I went there, but it was not far from me... :o

I used to go to Fantazia back in the day. Bought new issues and back issues. Nearly 50% of the back issues came back with slight CT when I submitted them a few years ago. :(

I used to go to Fantazia back in the day. Bought new issues and back issues. Nearly 50% of the back issues came back with slight CT when I submitted them a few years ago. :(

:flamed:

Wow, what an interesting post.

I guess I fall into the category of "Shady dealers" from NY.

I guess so long as you smile and are nice it's ok to rip people off. Being that we have so little charm being New Yorkers it's easy to hate us and lump us all together.

You should relocate to Eugene Oregon were all the honest comic guys live.

:baiting:

Last October I sold purecomics72 an Avengers #1 which was never paid for. I emailed about the auction and got a reply from Greg Jortner saying that one of his buddies had bid on the comic and was sorry but he couldn't pay for it since he already had several Avenger #1's.

He then went into a spill about a great GA collection in east TN. that he needed $10K so his buddie who lived in Atlanta could go and get. I asked what was in the collection and he rattled off comics that would make the collection worth 100K+. I asked him why he didn't fly down to get the comics and he said the seller was strange and didn't want "no damn Yankees showing up at his door" thus the reason for the buddie in Atlanta to go get the comics. It was excuse after excuse why I couldn't go with the Atlanta buddy and get the comics. So, sorry to say I missed out on that deal. hm

Since I never sent any money he then wanted to know about other GA comics that I had for sale. He told me he worked for Silver Age Comics and he could pay guide prices on my comics. I gave him a list and sent some scans but the money offered on the comics never arrived.

I then noticed that Silver Age Comics had left him feedback on a few auctions and that purecomics72 was shilling Silver Age comics auctions. I filed a NPB alert and got credit in the Avengers #1 then reported the shill bidding to ebay but you all know what ebay does to shill bidders, nothing!

That's my dealing with Greg. If I had just sent him $10K then I would probably know Mr Zaid a lot better than I do. (thumbs u

BTW this is my 50th post and it was a long one. :banana:

I guess so long as you smile and are nice it's ok to rip people off. Being that we have so little charm being New Yorkers it's easy to hate us and lump us all together.

You should relocate to Eugene Oregon were all the honest comic guys live.

Hadnt you heard?The POS moved to Washington :gossip:

Last October I sold purecomics72 an Avengers #1 which was never paid for. I emailed about the auction and got a reply from Greg Jortner saying that one of his buddies had bid on the comic and was sorry but he couldn't pay for it since he already had several Avenger #1's.

He then went into a spill about a great GA collection in east TN. that he needed $10K so his buddie who lived in Atlanta could go and get. I asked what was in the collection and he rattled off comics that would make the collection worth 100K+. I asked him why he didn't fly down to get the comics and he said the seller was strange and didn't want "no damn Yankees showing up at his door" thus the reason for the buddie in Atlanta to go get the comics. It was excuse after excuse why I couldn't go with the Atlanta buddy and get the comics. So, sorry to say I missed out on that deal. hm

Since I never sent any money he then wanted to know about other GA comics that I had for sale. He told me he worked for Silver Age Comics and he could pay guide prices on my comics. I gave him a list and sent some scans but the money offered on the comics never arrived.

I then noticed that Silver Age Comics had left him feedback on a few auctions and that purecomics72 was shilling Silver Age comics auctions. I filed a NPB alert and got credit in the Avengers #1 then reported the shill bidding to ebay but you all know what ebay does to shill bidders, nothing!

That's my dealing with Greg. If I had just sent him $10K then I would probably know Mr Zaid a lot better than I do. (thumbs u

If only you'd used your 49th post to warn off others to the $10,000 needed for a collection scam. :sumo:

I wonder how many other "collectors" or "dealers" chipped in to buy that collection? I'm sure Mr. Zaid has gotten numerous past scam history and other tidbits he's not disclosing at this point.

On a different note.......Allen Shevy in Tampa Florida is also a scam artist so be on the lookout for him everyone. Took my money......and I'm still bitter.

Greg's Atlanta buddy (Dave) is the one who found the deal in Atlanta that I bought and subsequently caused all of these problems.

I put up the 10K for the deal. The deal was worth not much more than 10K. "We" were paying top dollar for this group because the seller had more and we wanted first shot. It had a nice World's Finest run including a World's Best #1. I met Dave (Greg's buddy) in Atlanta and we picked up the collection (Greg was not there). Then Dave asked if they could sell the World's Finest run and I take the rest (The rest was misc SA DC stuff, nothing great). I had misgivings, but I said ok, since he had found the deal, I figured I owed him that much.

The verbal agreement we had was that I would receive all of the money up to 10K, and then we would split any further profits 50/50.

He sold the run on ebay under Dave's ebay account. That's when the problems started. I found out Greg was shilling the auctions. So did ebay apparently. They shut down his ebay account, but not before the auctions had ended and the World's Finest run was sold (individual books were sold). The total sale price was nearly 5K. Much was said after the fact as to what was going on, but the bottom line is I never saw any of the money which was owed to me. Greg promised to make good on the debt. He did send 2K about 2 months later towards the balance he owed me, but never sent anymore.

Based on my conversations with Greg, he has a problem with telling the truth either because he wants to tell you what you want to hear (but can't deliver) or it just comes natural to him to constantly tell untruths. He would send me bogus tracking numbers for payments that never arrived. After viewing his auctions for a period of time, it became clear that they hype was more important than the truth in the auction descriptions. He gave new meaning to the term Original Owner collection. Books would be sold, resold, and then resold again until the right number was achieved for a sale. He's always got this "amazing" deal cooking but never has any money with which to buy it.

The point of all of this is so that others can be made aware of this guy and to avoid or be very, very, very careful in their dealings with him.

This guy was an investment banker with JP Morgan, is very affable and extremely intelligent. Unfortunately, he is also very unethical and I don't think he can even distinguish anymore a truth from an untruth.

Brent

The book I purchased from you was great. Your bedside manner could use a little work.
That's part of the Blazing Bob experience...kinda like that restaurant 's where they....well...treat you like a .

Now, if you are meeting him bedside that's another story entirely.

Too bad so many good people get lumped in with a few smoking anuses who rip people off simply because of location. Great to see these fools exposed here though. Getting ripped off is never fun.

I wonder how many mess -heads have ruined this hobby for honest collectors and sellers. After a deal where I got burned a few years ago, I'll tell you that nearly made me quit collecting I was so pissed off.

The wheels of justice turn slowly, but they do grind fine and there is a special place in hell for these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. :devil:

Edited by Designer Toast

If you don't start working on your charm, I'm going to make you sit next to my missus again for an evening. :baiting: