• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,448 posts in this topic

JJeanius said

"Excitement of owning a page from issue 1, vs dawning realization that it's really just a guy in a hospital bed.."

I am going to have to agree with the latter. I would wake up in bed one day (pun intended) and say it is just a guy laying in hospital bed.

edit: My 6666th post :headbang:

No, it's not an exciting image. And there's no disputing that it's a page of a guy laying in a hospital bed. But it's not just *any* page of a guy laying in a hospital bed. And not just any guy, either.

I've never been a huge fan of this page, but I get why it's important to others. Even more now than when it was first sold on eBay. At that time, I would have said that I'd much rather have the dollar equivalent in covers and/or later pages that I liked better. Now I'm not as sure. #1 pages have always carried a premium in the hobby. And the premium for a successful ongoing series like WD only gets bigger over time.

JJeanius said

"Excitement of owning a page from issue 1, vs dawning realization that it's really just a guy in a hospital bed.."

I am going to have to agree with the latter. I would wake up in bed one day (pun intended) and say it is just a guy laying in hospital bed.

No, it's not an exciting image. And there's no disputing that it's a page of a guy laying in a hospital bed. But it's not just *any* page of a guy laying in a hospital bed. And not just any guy, either.

I've never been a huge fan of this page, but I get why it's important to others. Even more now than when it was first sold on eBay. At that time, I would have said that I'd much rather have the dollar equivalent in covers and/or later pages that I liked better. Now I'm not as sure. #1 pages have always carried a premium in the hobby. And the premium for a successful ongoing series like WD only gets bigger over time.

Yea I get it. It is what it is. I'm just bored at work and really have no thoughtful input anymore.

JJeanius said

I've never been a huge fan of this page, but I get why it's important to others. Even more now than when it was first sold on eBay.

Yes, the historical importance is the reason it is now a $10,000+ page rather than a $10 page. Unfortunately, though, that doesn't exactly change the fact that it's aesthetically uninteresting (and this is probably why it has changed hands as often as it has).

At that time, I would have said that I'd much rather have the dollar equivalent in covers and/or later pages that I liked better. Now I'm not as sure. #1 pages have always carried a premium in the hobby. And the premium for a successful ongoing series like WD only gets bigger over time.

I guess it just depends on why you are buying the page. Are we talking about it as a pure investment / status symbol, or as something you might want to hang on your wall? If it's the latter, I know for a fact that I can cover my walls in more exciting artwork for less than the final price on this page. If you are only talking about it as an investment, though, then I guess it really depends on what else you might be able to do with the money.

JJeanius said

I've never been a huge fan of this page, but I get why it's important to others. Even more now than when it was first sold on eBay.

Yes, the historical importance is the reason it is now a $10,000+ page rather than a $10 page. Unfortunately, though, that doesn't exactly change the fact that it's aesthetically uninteresting (and this is probably why it has changed hands as often as it has).

A buddy of mine of owns the title splash for AVENGERS #1. It could also be called "aesthetically uninteresting". My buddy wouldn't deny it. But, ultimately, it's page one to AVENGERS #1. (shrug) That's why he bought it.

At that time, I would have said that I'd much rather have the dollar equivalent in covers and/or later pages that I liked better. Now I'm not as sure. #1 pages have always carried a premium in the hobby. And the premium for a successful ongoing series like WD only gets bigger over time.

I guess it just depends on why you are buying the page. Are we talking about it as a pure investment / status symbol, or as something you might want to hang on your wall? If it's the latter, I know for a fact that I can cover my walls in more exciting artwork for less than the final price on this page. If you are only talking about it as an investment, though, then I guess it really depends on what else you might be able to do with the money.

Well, like I said, in the time that's elapsed since this splash first went on sale, the equation has changed. There have been plenty of nice new WD covers and pages that have been produced. And that will continue to be produced. But there will only ever be so many pages from #1.

Not many of us hang all of our OA on our walls, so there are certainly other motivations behind our purchases than simple aesthetics. Trophy/status symbol is one. Nostalgia is another. If all we wanted was a nice drawing of Batman, we wouldn't have bothered paying up for Frank Miller (in my case) or Jim Lee (in yours).

The intro to that game is insane!!! Holy cow, that was genius!!!

RK with Lucille looking as dangerous as a baby with a pacifier! :headbang:

I wonder if that's the Lucille that bigclutch (Shawn Kirkham) made and then referenced some time ago in this thread when he said that the Skybound replica at SDCC would be cheaper than the actual cost of making a Lucille using a real bat and barbed wire... hm

Almost forgot, Bernie's back baby!

E04CF06D-3C04-41E7-88D0-27B8E8BEE85B.jpg

BDA4E4F2-37A2-41E0-812D-45A4C0FF09D9.jpg

Haha I love it. Glad he gets a few more minutes in the Sun.

My take on the Talking Zombie thing. I think it was some people who were in the zombie horde covered in zombie muck like rick did before as a way to disguise.. they never saw them, only heard the talking.

I think you're right. Regardless, this is an interesting development made even moreso by the cover/teaser for #134. Unless it's talking walkers, in that case in not interested :). I'll leave it up to RK to convince me.

OMG FINALLY A GOOD LOOKING GAME FOR US GAMERS!!!

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

good looking game? i didn't see any game, just blood splattered on a chalkboard, then kirkman with lucille.

Zombie evolution - like the 'super-crossed'

They eat, talk and feel pain.

They will be voting for each other by issue #170 ;)

OMG FINALLY A GOOD LOOKING GAME FOR US GAMERS!!!

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

good looking game? i didn't see any game, just blood splattered on a chalkboard, then kirkman with lucille.

Howdy everyone :)

I agree - no game play -- I am keeping my fingers crossed for a Fallout type game in the WD universe. It has the potential to be a "best yet" franchise hit. The community is aching for a FPS/open world universe similar to Fallout / Borderlands / L4D / Portal blended into one..well at least I am! WD will fit that bill nicely!!

Did someone mention a page 1 interest....James, PM me :)

:o

What's $10,000 to $20,000 between friends, anyway? (thumbs u

Seriously, though...once James gets all the OA to issue 1 I'll be :applause:

It's gonna happen folks...trust me!

:o

What's $10,000 to $20,000 between friends, anyway? (thumbs u

Seriously, though...once James gets all the OA to issue 1 I'll be :applause:

It's gonna happen folks...trust me!

*tsk* *tsk*

No it isn't.

I wonder if that's the Lucille that bigclutch (Shawn Kirkham) made and then referenced some time ago in this thread when he said that the Skybound replica at SDCC would be cheaper than the actual cost of making a Lucille using a real bat and barbed wire... hm

Wasn't my Lucille.

-shawn

Wasn't my Lucille.

-shawn

I'm starting to think the Skybound dress code consists of Free Negan shirts and Lucilles. hm