• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,447 posts in this topic

I like True Blood. Take it for what it is, not the worst show on TV and pretty enjoyable characters IMO (the side players on the show are the best IMO)

JJ

Don't worry about it. You like good vampire stuff. I remember you said you liked Let The Right One In. It's my favorite vampire movie ever, if not one of my all time favorite movies. I hear from a lot of people how they hate it and think it's boring. It surprises me they don't get it.

Loved Let the Right One In!

Jerel, it is just a soap opera Vampire show. Sookie doesn't do much for me, neither does Bill (the 2 main stars), but LaFayette, Eric and others are just great and really make the show. I think you will enjoy, just give it a few episodes.

That and the theme song is the best since Sopranos lol, love that song!

JJ

I don't watch True Blood since I read all the books - I love the books, they are awesome. But the cast of True Blood looks nothing like I would have pictured ANY of the characters, so it's just a turn off for me.

I have a lot of friends and family that love the show though.

...but LaFayette, Eric and others are just great and really make the show.

"In this restaurant, a hamburger deluxe comes with french fries, lettuce, tomato, mayo, and AIDS!"

0.jpg

OK, I might have to start a real TWD discussion thread, too much non-related junk here to wade through.

• We have had multiple tie ins with the kid with the black eye and the dad with the attitude. Another discerning look from Rick.
  • Michonne and Morgan hooking up? Clearly Michonne doesn't have an identity outside of her sword.
  • Is it me or is Rick becoming more like the Gov with each passing issue?
  • Will Andrea hook up with another older man?

This plotline so far has been a major snoozer. There's a ton of places Kirkman could take this; we get that man is more evil than the monsters out there...he plans on showing us multiple domestic situations in the next few issues.

My Speculation...You heard it here first!

• Andrea hooks up with the old man. There will be some plot developments that will uncover his true nature.
  • Rick will confront the black eye kid's father. Something nasty will happen.
  • Glenn will die on one of his runs. Maggie will do something nuts.
  • Abraham will become the new leader.
  • Eugeune is useless.
  • Preacher man will start a cult following. Expect some weird stuff there.
  • Rick dies by the end of this plotline.

In other words, The Walking Dead has turned into "The Jerry Springer Show". I'm ok with domestic situations but character development has become weaker steadily since D-day (issue 48) imo. Kirkman rants and raves about his show; meanwhile I think the book is suffering. Watch your step.

Think about it...since #48...this is what has happened in ~25 issues.

• Rick suffers dementia...Carl fends for himself; dad almost dies.
  • Rick meets with Abraham and his clan, Preacher man, and Morgan.
  • Eugene misleads, Carl almost gets raped, Maggie attempts suicide
  • Some Zombie action a la "herd"
  • The clan has to fight a gang of cannibals...Dale dies.
  • Everyone is led to current location
  • Introduction to new characters
  • Subtle hints of potential plotlines...Rick gets aggressive.

That's it.

I'm curious if anyone here is developing the same sentiment as I. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to have lost its edge. Perhaps the non threatening environment is the cause...but the whole situation seems...well...weak.

Somebody wake me the hell up when this gets interesting again.

OK, I might have to start a real TWD discussion thread, too much non-related junk here to wade through.

I'm curious if anyone here is developing the same sentiment as I. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to have lost its edge. Perhaps the non threatening environment is the cause...but the whole situation seems...well...weak.

I really disagree with some of the statements that you made with the above post. I really think by Issue 78 that you will be singing a new tune. Maybe the climax in Issue 48 was the best so far, but remember that it took 48 issues to get to that point. This story is about the people not the zombies...so of course Kirkman will have to build up some of the newer characters and sometimes it takes many issues but I can honestly say that I have never been disappointed with a single issue. I am done with my rantrant

Edited by dhurley1125

I really disagree with some of the statements that you made with the above post. I really think by Issue 78 that you will be singing a new tune. Maybe the climax in Issue 48 was the best so far, but remember that it took 48 issues to get to that point. This story is about the people not the zombies...so of course Kirkman will have to build up some of the newer characters and sometimes it takes many issues but I can honestly say that I have never been disappointed with a single issue. I am done with my rantrant

I couldn't agree more with Doug. IMO Walking Dead is as good as ever and the fact that I am expecting something bad to happen anytime soon the way it's written is keeping me on Edge with every issue. :cloud9:

• We have had multiple tie ins with the kid with the black eye and the dad with the attitude. Another discerning look from Rick. Yeah, something will happen with this. Either Carl is a bully or the dad is going to lead the charge against Rick.
  • Michonne and Morgan hooking up? Clearly Michonne doesn't have an identity outside of her sword. Girls need to get some too. She was a dirty ho in the beginning too if you remember. It took her what, 1 or 2 issues to go down on Tyresse??
  • Is it me or is Rick becoming more like the Gov with each passing issue? Yup, but not that far yet. He's still got a ways to go before Governor status. Kirkman said something like this from the beginning though. He always said his long term plan for Rick was for him to be completely different from the Rick we first meet at the beginning of the series.

Or will she begin to hear voices too? Just like Rick, Michonne and Allen. I think there is more to the ghost angle of significant others talking to the living.

This plotline so far has been a major snoozer. There's a ton of places Kirkman could take this; we get that man is more evil than the monsters out there...he plans on showing us multiple domestic situations in the next few issues.

I do think the arc feels slower because of the lack of action, but will read really fast in trade format. It's still keeping my interest as I enjoy the character interactions. I do think he's still got a talent for ending each issue well.

• Andrea hooks up with the old man. There will be some plot developments that will uncover his true nature. +1
  • Rick will confront the black eye kid's father. Something nasty will happen. +1
  • Glenn will die on one of his runs. Maggie will do something nuts. He might get hurt badly and the "I told you so" nagging would be worse than death. It's also more likely to happen while getting the guns for Rick. I don't see Maggie doing anything crazier than hanging herself anytime soon.
  • Abraham will become the new leader. Nah, he's filling the Tyresse role as the #2 enforcer.
  • Eugeune is useless. +1 Yeah, he's a dead man walking.
  • Preacher man will start a cult following. Expect some weird stuff there. +1 Kirkman really hasn't used him effectively yet.

Nope.

In other words, The Walking Dead has turned into "The Jerry Springer Show". I'm ok with domestic situations but character development has become weaker steadily since D-day (issue 48) imo. Kirkman rants and raves about his show; meanwhile I think the book is suffering. Watch your step. JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!

• Rick suffers dementia I don't think it's dementia as two other characters heard the voice of their dead significant other too (Michonne and Allen) I think more will be revealed about this in the long term...Carl fends for himself; dad almost dies.
  • Eugene misleads, Carl almost gets raped, Maggie attempts suicide I enjoyed all 4 of these storylines (shrug)
  • Some Zombie action a la "herd" the herd was cool too...
  • The clan has to fight a gang of cannibals...Dale dies. I liked this story too...

That's it.

I'm curious if anyone here is developing the same sentiment as I. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to have lost its edge. I don't think it's lost it's edge; however, I do think issues 46-48 were still the most shocking. Perhaps the non threatening environment is the cause...but the whole situation seems...well...weak.

Edited by maloney414

For those of you who missed the Allen hearing his dead wife Donna talking to him, here is the page from issue #11.

It was very subtle and before we met Michonne and way before Lori spoke to Rick. I caught it recently while rereading the series.

When I read it originally, just like Rick I thought Allen crazy. But after Michonne talking to her dead boyfriend and Rick talking to Lori there might be something more to this... hm

WD11Page6.jpg

• We have had multiple tie ins with the kid with the black eye and the dad with the attitude. Another discerning look from Rick.
  • Michonne and Morgan hooking up? Clearly Michonne doesn't have an identity outside of her sword.

• Andrea hooks up with the old man. There will be some plot developments that will uncover his true nature.
  • Eugeune is useless.

In other words, The Walking Dead has turned into "The Jerry Springer Show". I'm ok with domestic situations but character development has become weaker steadily since D-day (issue 48) imo. Kirkman rants and raves about his show; meanwhile I think the book is suffering. Watch your step.

That's it.

Well, sorry if a comparison with another horror show on cable was made. I mean, if Mad Men was brought up instead, I could see you having a legitimate gripe with the discussion. But really, how many horror TV shows are out there that last? Especially, one that is being released into the Christmas season after a major recession?

...and from reading your spoiler, it sounds like your bored of the series. Drop it then. I did at #33(it had gotten so ugly), but came back by issue #44(when I understood Kirkman's storytelling skills). I remember people on different forums complaining the series got too campy with the antics Governor and then after issue #48 hit, there was silence and only anticipation for the next issue. To me, this is a story about people trying to make it through a zombie holocaust once society is turned upside down. Kirkman is constantly putting his characters through hell and misery and we as the reader are supposed to connect to their plight as they make it through each obstacle with them. Kirkman is always winding us up for the next "D-day". When that happens, there will be anticipation for the next issue. Like it or leave it.

I have been worried AMC has marketed The Walking Dead all wrong since day one of posting it's release date. This show should have been released at the end of August or September and had it's finale on Halloween night. A lot of horror movies do this, because they don't play as well into the holiday season. I think the pilot will have huge ratings, but the rest of episodes will struggle. To me, they dumped this show(into a novelty time of the year) hoping it will find an audience and comic fans might not be enough, IMHO.

• Eugeune is useless.

That's it.

Well, sorry if a comparison with another horror show on cable was made. I mean, if Mad Men was brought up instead, I could see you having a legitimate gripe with the discussion. But really, how many horror TV shows are out there that last? Especially, one that is being released into the Christmas season after a major recession?

...and from reading your spoiler, it sounds like your bored of the series. Drop it then. I did at #33(it had gotten so ugly), but came back by issue #44(when I understood Kirkman's storytelling skills). I remember people on different forums complaining the series got too campy with the antics Governor and then after issue #48 hit, there was silence and only anticipation for the next issue. To me, this is a story about people trying to make it through a zombie holocaust once society is turned upside down. Kirkman is constantly putting his characters through hell and misery and we as the reader are supposed to connect to their plight as they make it through each obstacle with them. Kirkman is always winding us up for the next "D-day". When that happens, there will be anticipation for the next issue. Like it or leave it.

:applause:

I have been worried AMC has marketed The Walking Dead all wrong since day one of posting it's release date. This show should have been released at the end of August or September and had it's finale on Halloween night. A lot of horror movies do this, because they don't play as well into the holiday season. I think the pilot will have huge ratings, but the rest of episodes will struggle. To me, they dumped this show(into a novelty time of the year) hoping it will find an audience and comic fans might not be enough, IMHO.

I've been thinking this myself (shrug) This issue could be that they were planing on airing he pilot at Halloween and if it was picked up running a series next year at some point. However, they then decided to do a six epidode mini but kept the original pilot date. For this reason Timing constraints may be an issue as they are doing a long stint in a short amount of time. I'm also not sure that the length of the episodes won't be an issue, Half hour programmes are always seem a little risky and am less I am wrong (they are half hour, are they not) why not run them at an hour each (shrug)

• Eugeune is useless.

That's it.

Or better yet, read the Crossed TPB. After reading Crossed, TWD seems like watching Mary Poppins after a three hour Care Bear marathon.

• Eugeune is useless.

That's it.

Or better yet, read the Crossed TPB. After reading Crossed, TWD seems like watching Mary Poppins after a three hour Care Bear marathon.

+1