• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,447 posts in this topic

I need to say a big thank you to Gary for the awesome print I received in the mail today, as well as a big thanks to Doug for packing and shipping my print to me after it arrived in the States (it was a team effort.) You two are the best!

I know these have been seen already but damn, it's such a sweet print, I have to show mine ;)

032-1.jpg

Evidence of an oversaturated market brought about by exponentially growing prices paid over the last few months? The number of people to sell to is in no way infinite and we're finally being shown proof of it.

But I'm just spitballing.

It's probably Davidson's fault, right?

I'm trying to figure out how mine is going to fetch $1500 in October is all. :-)

Maybe I should just snatch all these up at the bargain prices that they're at.

Oh wait, that's like $7,000 for ten books.

Evidence of an oversaturated market brought about by exponentially growing prices paid over the last few months? The number of people to sell to is in no way infinite and we're finally being shown proof of it.

I'm trying to figure out how mine is going to fetch $1500 in October is all. :-)

:signfunny:

Waiting for it...... :taptaptap:

:signfunny:

Waiting for it...... :taptaptap:

I'm not your monkey! I don't dance on cue! Yeesh! Why would I want to pay 234 times cover for this book! Why for the love of DAVIDSON!!! why?

Okay maybe I am a little bit of a monkey.

IMHO as a Walking Dead fan the Price for #1 is overpriced and near the top of its bubble. Is the print run relatively small? Yes, but the numbers that are out there in highers grades are is high. Most of the fans now, mainly for moderns, are happy with TPBs and are unwilling to pay these nosebleed prices. The prices realized are from speculators and fan based speculators. How many multiple copies do board members own. Simply put this parallels the housing market where people where buying multiple houses as it was a sure thing to make money. Demand will dry up and prices will fall. I bet within 2 years these will be 100-200 tops. Right now we are in a feeding frenzy. This go the same for CPG actually CPG more so.

IMHO as a Walking Dead fan the Price for #1 is overpriced and near the top of its bubble. Is the print run relatively small? Yes, but the numbers that are out there in highers grades are is high. Most of the fans now, mainly for moderns, are happy with TPBs and are unwilling to pay these nosebleed prices. The prices realized are from speculators and fan based speculators. How many multiple copies do board members own. Simply put this parallels the housing market where people where buying multiple houses as it was a sure thing to make money. Demand will dry up and prices will fall. I bet within 2 years these will be 100-200 tops. Right now we are in a feeding frenzy. This go the same for CPG actually CPG more so.

Wait till the show hits and mainstream people realize how great of a story it is...#1 demand goes up and the 7,000 copies made stay the same that will equal higher prices then the $450-$600 we see them sell for now.

Your point about being happy with just TPB--what real comic fan is happy with just TPB? I read the TPB of Walking Dead first then I had to have the complete run of comics then i had to buy OA it just keeps going and going

I am done with my rantrant

Wait till the show hits and mainstream people realize how great of a story it is...#1 demand goes up and the 7,000 copies made stay the same that will equal higher prices then the $450-$600 we see them sell for now.

Your point about being happy with just TPB--what real comic fan is happy with just TPB? I read the TPB of Walking Dead first then I had to have the complete run of comics then i had to buy OA it just keeps going and going

+1

Good point. I just emailed Image Comics and demanded a second print with a one million copy print run be made to meet a possible demand. (thumbs u

:devil:I still need to get a 9.8 one cheap.

I think you're both right.

Personally, I'm more like Doug and once I finished the 1st 3 trades I got a serious case of WD ocd and had to buy everything.

But... Brain has a good point about the speculators. They are out there and as Jeff (Branget) keeps pointing out these books are constantly flipping on eBay. Which means they aren't being primarily bought by new fans who want to own a copy to keep because they like the story.

Still, his target of where the book will settle is too low. Even if the show is terrible a WD #1 9.8 won't ever drop below $300. It was above that long before the announcement of the TV show. As long as the comic book remains good, the early issues will still be valuable. (thumbs u

Edited by maloney414

Good point. I just emailed Image Comics and demanded a second print with a one million copy print run be made to meet a possible demand. (thumbs u

There's already a reprint with a $1 price tag on it :)

Yeah I did notice that the WD 1 prices started to decline around the time that the Image Firsts was released. How this makes sense considering the trades have been readily available I'm unsure.

Yeah I did notice that the WD 1 prices started to decline around the time that the Image Firsts was released. How this makes sense considering the trades have been readily available I'm unsure.

Tell that to those that bought a CGC 9.8 copy for $400-$600 on Feebay :insane:

When I say "decline" I mean not hitting the $700 and beyond mark.

When I say "decline" I mean not hitting the $700 and beyond mark.

Good point.

So out of you guys and gals that don't see a decline how many copies do you own? Which is my point. Spectulators and fan based speculators are causing this demand not "new" fans. 7,000 books may not seem like much but is actually is quite a bit as 99% of them are in NM or better condition. As for the TV series, yes, a few more people will be exposed to the book. Remember while its on a relatively well known cable network. The network and the show are not completely mainstream and will only truely be noticed by fans that are already fimiliar with the comic and that are zombie fans. Remember the Prisoner? Fans of the original knew about it, but not so much anyone else.

If this were a movie I would get excited, Mainstream Network TV maybe, cable with hundreds of other options to watch not so much.

If you have multiples, sell between now and Oct. as next year the hype will be gone and it will be back to the original fan base.

If you want an example of a comic take a look at Valiant. It has a very loyal base. At its highest point those low print early issues went through the roof just like Walking Dead, then the bubble burst. Recently they found a resurgence with ultra high grade copies $1000.00 + and now they went back into normal price ranges. Heck there are Valiants that have less print runs than Walking dead and the fan base is larger yet the prices are low for those "key" issues.

You need to look at this realisticly not with rose color fanboy/ fangirl glasses.

Like I said I collect Walking Dead and I also collect Valiant.

+1

Look at the sale numbers of TPBs they are now getting higher than the actual comics.