• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,448 posts in this topic

Just so you don't think I am relatively new at collecting and seeing trends. I've been actively collecting since 1978. While I am not an expert I can see a bubble when there is one. Sandman had a nice bubble for a while as well.

I have one issue of # 1. It's a 9.8 and I intend to hold it unless my money can be doubled on it.

I want it to be clear I'm not knocking the book just the prices "people" are paying. Just looking at the last two pages Too Snappy has a couple copies in his Sig line.

Here is a toy example. We all know there are a ton of Star Trek fans out there that will buy almost anything. Anyone remember playmates 1701 limited edition figures? They went for 1-2 grand at first. People were fighting over those things for months. Now they are still impossible to find and you can pick them up between 300-450.00 . With thousands of fans that will buy anything Star Trek why are these limited action figures (only 1701) made worth so little. The bubble burst fans found something new to buy.

Edited by BrianR

I don't think the bubble idea and the fact that Walking Dead is bubbling is new news. The timeline put forth I would agree with. The high point of most of these movie/TV bubbles is right before the release. Given that is in October there is still time to speculate if someone were so inclined.

Since the show is on TV and not a movie the peak may even occur while the show is on while people learn about it.

100-200 in a couple of years is on the low side IMO. I also do not think we've seen the peak.

I hate to sound like a broken record, because I have brought this up several times in this thread, but, the thing you are forgetting, Brian, is the fan base of this book. This book sold more copies of each succeeding issue into the 30s. And it may have gone even longer than that. Hell, it may still be gaining now, for all i know. So that 7,000 print run for #1 must be stretched over 40-50k current readers, investor/speculators, Image #1 collectors, zombie genre fans etc, etc.

I love this series. I started at #6, and still don't have 1-5 because they were mods that were already spendy at the time I started the series. I will have a #1 at some point, but I don't want to spend what the market is for a 9.8 SS #1 right now. I think there are a lot of people who are and will be in the market for this book for a long time. If it settles after the show, I think it will be in the $300-500 range, and there will be no significant drop off until the book is no longer published as an ongoing series.

I hate to sound like a broken record, because I have brought this up several times in this thread, but, the thing you are forgetting, Brian, is the fan base of this book. This book sold more copies of each succeeding issue into the 30s. And it may have gone even longer than that. Hell, it may still be gaining now, for all i know. So that 7,000 print run for #1 must be stretched over 40-50k current readers, investor/speculators, Image #1 collectors, zombie genre fans etc, etc.

I love this series. I started at #6, and still don't have 1-5 because they were mods that were already spendy at the time I started the series. I will have a #1 at some point, but I don't want to spend what the market is for a 9.8 SS #1 right now. I think there are a lot of people who are and will be in the market for this book for a long time. If it settles after the show, I think it will be in the $300-500 range, and there will be no significant drop off until the book is no longer published as an ongoing series.

Yes the fan base is larger than before. Here are a few questions to ponder.

How many people picked up the TPBs and started collecting are not completists and are buying the book for enjoyment reading only at this point?

How many fans are buying multiple copies for SS, investment etc.?

How many people are solely buying the books in hopes a new key will pop up and the books will increase in value?

How many dealers have increased their orders and are now setting on back issues with hopes of future collectors or bought too many based on hype?

Edited by BrianR

I would say:

(1) Lots of people

(2) Lots of people

(3) Some People

(4) None to virtually none (Although there are certainly a bunch of dealers that have the back issues, but can't find them or they are just mixed in with the other unsold garbage from that time frame.)

None of this makes me think that the book will be $100-200 in the near future. I wish it would, but it won't. It won't go anywhere near that range until the ongoing series ceases.

The dealer idea and the multiple copy buying by fans is the most plausible. The first 10 issues or so a dealer will be less likely to "stock" back issues as they do not want to be stuck with product they can not sell. Once the book has been established they may tend to add a few extra to their stock for future customers. I was a comic book store manager in the 90's for a chain store. The owners did this and it worked pretty well, so the same may be happening today.

If there are say... 500 dealer nationwide and each one decides to put 2-5 into back issue stock; right there are a couple thousand copies and I am sure the number of dealers in the US is higher.

All I can say is the biggest Crow fan watched Zombieland with her friends this past spring and have been dealing Walking Dead and other zombie books with EvilAsh ever since. They are very aware of this title because of the impending show and because they wanted more zombie apocalypse-like movies that never came. Zombies are like the new "in" thing and it's gonna be a gold mine if the producer's do it right. Everyone will be buying back-issues to see what comes next, IMHO.

I said it best a couple days ago, "this is the calm before the storm" :popcorn:

Oh, by the way. A new production still.

zombie1.jpg

:ohnoez:

That is a great picture.

Guys have to admit whom ever is right or wrong in the end, these types diiscussions are fun.

Edited by BrianR

I have one issue of # 1. It's a 9.8 and I intend to hold it unless my money can be doubled on it.

I want it to be clear I'm not knocking the book just the prices "people" are paying. Just looking at the last two pages Too Snappy has a couple copies in his Sig line.

Here is a toy example. We all know there are a ton of Star Trek fans out there that will buy almost anything. Anyone remember playmates 1701 limited edition figures? They went for 1-2 grand at first. People were fighting over those things for months. Now they are still impossible to find and you can pick them up between 300-450.00 . With thousands of fans that will buy anything Star Trek why are these limited action figures (only 1701) made worth so little. The bubble burst fans found something new to buy.

I sold 8 Picards for $800 each to one guy. Only had a couple yar and barclays, but they didn't bring the big bux.

That is a great picture.

Guys have to admit whom ever is right or wrong in the end, these types diiscussions are fun.

+1

I am just glad I can talk my nerd talk somewhere :banana:

I don't think the bubble idea and the fact that Walking Dead is bubbling is new news. The timeline put forth I would agree with. The high point of most of these movie/TV bubbles is right before the release. Given that is in October there is still time to speculate if someone were so inclined.

Since the show is on TV and not a movie the peak may even occur while the show is on while people learn about it.

100-200 in a couple of years is on the low side IMO. I also do not think we've seen the peak.

+1

+1

The dealer idea and the multiple copy buying by fans is the most plausible. The first 10 issues or so a dealer will be less likely to "stock" back issues as they do not want to be stuck with product they can not sell. Once the book has been established they may tend to add a few extra to their stock for future customers. I was a comic book store manager in the 90's for a chain store. The owners did this and it worked pretty well, so the same may be happening today.

If there are say... 500 dealer nationwide and each one decides to put 2-5 into back issue stock; right there are a couple thousand copies and I am sure the number of dealers in the US is higher.

The 90's were a different time. During the early 90's everything was selling. That was the X-Men #1 and Spiderman #1 time before the bust.

My LCS doesn't order extra copies of anything. They don't want extras. If it doesn't sell, they lose money and adjust their orders for next time. They always sell out of Walking Dead within 2 days. The owner told me once he orders 1 copy for each subscriber plus 1 or 2 extra and that's it. If they order more they sit on the shelf and don't sell.

They also don't order many titles of anything not Marvel or DC. If you want something by Image or any smaller publisher you have to preorder it ahead of time or get there early the Wednesday it comes.

Also, the TPB market IS a big part of modern buyers now. My LCS does sell more copies of new WD TPB's than they have WD subscribers.