• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,447 posts in this topic

Walking Dead #100 To Sell Over 300,000. The Best Selling Comic Of The Year?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/16/walking-dead-100-to-sell-over-300000-the-best-selling-comic-of-the-year/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedingCool+%28Bleeding+Cool+Comic+News+%26+Rumors%29

wow!

This would make the print run of of the 1:200 at about 1500 copies and climbing.

Nope.

If one store had ordered 300,000 copies, then the variant print run would be 1500. You have to split up the 300,000 between all of the stores in the world ordering the issue from diamond. We don't know how many of the accounts ordered 200 or more of the issue.

This. Over half of the orders I am willing to bet will be for purchases of less than 200 copies. I still say this has a print run of at most 500 copies.

Walking Dead #100 To Sell Over 300,000. The Best Selling Comic Of The Year?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/16/walking-dead-100-to-sell-over-300000-the-best-selling-comic-of-the-year/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedingCool+%28Bleeding+Cool+Comic+News+%26+Rumors%29

wow!

This would make the print run of of the 1:200 at about 1500 copies and climbing.

Nope.

If one store had ordered 300,000 copies, then the variant print run would be 1500. You have to split up the 300,000 between all of the stores in the world ordering the issue from diamond. We don't know how many of the accounts ordered 200 or more of the issue.

This. Over half of the orders I am willing to bet will be for purchases of less than 200 copies. I still say this has a print run of at most 500 copies.

I disagree. Way more than 500. I think most stores ordered exactly 200.

It's not that risky if you're a store owner. I believe it costs them about $430 to order 200.

If they sell the variant for $200, they only need 7 customers to buy a set of the 8 regular covers, and they break even. The rest of the books are pure profit, and the variant may sell for more as well. It's that simple for a LCS owner. They don't have eBay fees or shipping hassles to deal with.

Ordering 200 copies seemed like a no brainier to me for store owners. 2c

My LCS never orders 200 of anything. Ever. They are as tight as can be and even they ordered 200 copies to sell the 1:200 sketch cover to cover a nice chunk of the cost associated.

I think we are easily looking at 1000 copies out there. Easy.

And remember, 200 was the cutoff for 1, how many shops or owners ordered 400 or more? I know Dre's LCS' out there easily ordered a ton to get more sketch covers. How many did GATOR order? How about Mile High, the NY area shops, Graham Crackers, Larry etc?

I ordered my fave walking dead 100 covers at my comic store today, I got the quietly cover, the otley cover, the silvestri cover, and the Adlard wrap around. I'm not too bothered on owning the others, but the Sean Phillips one was pretty cool thinking about it.

Not saying the 1:200 won't have a high print run. Just saying that assuming the 300,000 projected print run will produce 1500 1:200s is not accurate.

There are 3 LCS here. New Force, Arena Comics, and Comic Emporium. We all know New Force is ordering a metric mess tonne. The other two will never order 200 copies of any book. Ever. I have to imagine that MOST stores around the country are similar to the other two stores here.

Like I said, I think the 1:200 print run will be way more than usual. I don't think it will hit 1500 though.

Edited by hulksmashdave

Not saying the 1:200 won't have a high print run. Just saying that assuming the 300,000 projected print run will produce 1500 1:200s is not accurate.

There are 3 LCS here. New Force, Arena Comics, and Comic Emporium. We all know New Force is ordering a metric mess ton. The other two will never order 200 copies of any book. Ever. I have to imagine that MOST stores around the country are similar to the other two stores here.

Like I said, I think the 1:200 print run will be way more than usual. I don't think it will hit 1500 though.

Kudos on the use of "metric tonne". Only problem is you need to add the ne. An Imperial ton or a metric tonne, either way Rick ordered a whole bunch.

Jim

There are 3 LCS here. New Force, Arena Comics, and Comic Emporium. We all know New Force is ordering a metric mess ton. The other two will never order 200 copies of any book. Ever. I have to imagine that MOST stores around the country are similar to the other two stores here.

Kudos on the use of "metric tonne". Only problem is you need to add the ne. An Imperial ton or a metric tonne, either way Rick ordered a whole bunch.

Jim

fixed

Jim

fixed

And with that I bet you never try and use that reference ever again :sorry:

I did like it though :foryou:

Jim

If they sell the variant for $200, they only need 7 customers to buy a set of the 8 regular covers, and they break even. The rest of the books are pure profit, and the variant may sell for more as well. It's that simple for a LCS owner. They don't have eBay fees or shipping hassles to deal with.

I think your logic is slightly off here... you aren't including rent, electric, water, etc., etc. that goes into a brick & mortar strore.

Fact of the matter is that even if there are 1000 - 1500 copies of the B/W Walking Dead No. 100, depending on the content of the issue the demand for this book will be huge and a CGC 9.8 may sell for $700 to $800 on ebay.

Fact of the matter is that even if there are 1000 - 1500 copies of the B/W Walking Dead No. 100, depending on the content of the issue the demand for this book will be huge and a CGC 9.8 may sell for $700 to $800 on ebay.

I'm gonna say probably not. :sorry:

Jim

I think your logic is slightly off here... you aren't including rent, electric, water, etc., etc. that goes into a brick & mortar strore.

Maybe the first one will, but that's it, and even then I don't think it will crack $500. Everyone is flipping now-a-days and what happens when everyone does the same thing all at once? The price plunges so even a workin' man can afford a WD 100 1:200 9.8 :whee:

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

That's true, but Saga #1 didn't have a print run of 300,000. Even if that number consists of several different variants, exclusives, watches and other rubbish... that's an enormous number and it sticks with you.

I'd pay more for the RRP of Saga #1 in 9.8 then I would for a 1:200 Walking Dead #100 in 9.8.