• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
12 12

40,446 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I am very new to comic book collecting and reading, and yes, The Walking Dead is what got me into it. I started with the compendium, and then TBP's and now I am getting single issues, I am excited to start tracking down back issues, but I have a feeling my new hobby is going to get pricey. Anyways, I threw a quick video on youtube, here it is so far. (keep in mind I got my fist one less than a month ago).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3h8YygMbUc

Hey everyone, I am very new to comic book collecting and reading, and yes, The Walking Dead is what got me into it. I started with the compendium, and then TBP's and now I am getting single issues, I am excited to start tracking down back issues, but I have a feeling my new hobby is going to get pricey. Anyways, I threw a quick video on youtube, here it is so far. (keep in mind I got my fist one less than a month ago).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3h8YygMbUc

Welcome to the Boards!

Hopefully your WD interest will open you up to the other great stuff out there.

That's true, but Saga #1 didn't have a print run of 300,000. Even if that number consists of several different variants, exclusives, watches and other rubbish... that's an enormous number and it sticks with you.

I'd pay more for the RRP of Saga #1 in 9.8 then I would for a 1:200 Walking Dead #100 in 9.8.

There's 500 Saga RRPs and there's going to be b/w 500 - 1500 WD 100 b/w's (depending on whether or not the substantial majority of shops ordered in denominations of 200 or not. In the event that the 500 number is accurate and there's huge plot developments then this book is going to be a very high dollar item in CGC 9.8 (about $700). If there's a 1500 print run, no major deaths and no first appearance of Daryl Dixon then I think it's a $300 - $400 book in CGC 9.8. Anyway, that's my thought process and I'm human and wrong all the time so if I'm wrong about this one it won't shock me and shouldn't shock anyone else.

Every other WD with a print run about 1,000 is a $75 book in 9.8 so yes you're a little off. Also Saga is a #1 and we all know how much speculators drool over #1's. Considering WD 94 BW is 200 and the 81 Comicspro is less than 500 then your theory of being a $700 book has absolutely no historical data to back it up. In short, you're throwing out randomn numbers as usual.

If they sell the variant for $200, they only need 7 customers to buy a set of the 8 regular covers, and they break even. The rest of the books are pure profit, and the variant may sell for more as well. It's that simple for a LCS owner. They don't have eBay fees or shipping hassles to deal with.

I think your logic is slightly off here... you aren't including rent, electric, water, etc., etc. that goes into a brick & mortar strore.

They have that regardless if they order 200 or zero WD 100's so it's not really a factor in this decision.

All they had to do was ask their customers and find out if they had 8 people willing to buy a set. Plenty of time to do that. If they couldn't find 8 they are either a small business or have a VERY small customer base for independent books. If that's true, ok it doesn't make sense.

But I find it hard to believe most comic shops can't find 8 customers willing to buy a set, so the few that didn't order 200 most likely just never did the math and missed an opportunity. 2c

Comic shops are going to do very well selling WD 100. Individuals selling on eBay who didn't pre-sell are going to have a tough time because of that 300K number.

Every other WD with a print run about 1,000 is a $75 book in 9.8 so yes you're a little off. Also Saga is a #1 and we all know how much speculators drool over #1's. Considering WD 94 BW is 200 and the 81 Comicspro is less than 500 then your theory of being a $700 book has absolutely no historical data to back it up. In short, you're throwing out randomn numbers as usual.

Your ad homs aimed at me are not persuasive. Insofar as WD 100 is the 1st appearance of the Dixon brothers there is going to be very high demand for the black and white book. My recollection was that you believed that Saga RRPs were $25 books when they were hitting the market. Accordingly, it appears that the empirical data supports my ability to predict the value of forth coming hot books and evidences your attempts to denegrate these books so that you can buy them for less than a reasonable amount. Please try and argue facts and refrain from making personal attacks against me. That being said, I've heard you talk about your children on the boards and want to take this opportunity to wish you and the other fathers on the board -Happy Father's Day!

Your ad homs aimed at me are not persuasive. Insofar as WD 100 is the 1st appearance of the Dixon brothers there is going to be very high demand for the black and white book. My recollection was that you believed that Saga RRPs were $25 books when they were hitting the market. Accordingly, it appears that the empirical data supports my ability to predict the value of forth coming hot books and evidences your attempts to denegrate these books so that you can buy them for less than a reasonable amount. Please try and argue facts and refrain from making personal attacks against me. That being said, I've heard you talk about your children on the boards and want to take this opportunity to wish you and the other fathers on the board -Happy Father's Day!

Do you know something I don't?

+1

+1

+2

+1

+2

You guys didn't know he was a dad? (shrug)

I have no inside information, but I should have put spoiler tags up before I speculated. The following is just that

there have been rumors that (a) Rick is going to be critically injured in Walking Dead 99 and that we are going to be left with the idea that he is dead ... there's also been rumors that Daryl Dixon will save the survivors of the onslaught from Dwight and his band of lunatics and there have been rumors that when Rick dies Daryl will take over as leader of the group and there's been rumors that Daryl will kill Dwight and take his crossbow with people speculating that Dwight was using Daryl's crossbow and that Daryl was a prisoner or an outcast.

My point is that the SDWDCC is going to be all about the Walking Dead and that it's substantially certain that Kirkman will shock and amaze readers with whatever transpires in issue 100 and therefore the 1:200 book is going to be very sought after and that the first CGC 9.8 will get huge money from a speculator on feebay. For anyone who read my prior post and was confused, I'm sorry that my language wasn't more precise and clear.

:facepalm:

I make quite a few predictions on here and I must do pretty well since the only example you keep mentioning is an out of context price on Saga #1 RRP. You however have a multitude of misinformation and incorrect predictions. Your little game of trying to interpret my predictions is an attempt to sway the market is just silly. If you want true numbers on Walking Dead there is a vast historical sales history. Saga RRP on the other hand does not have a recent comparison that I am aware of.

You consistently wish to start arguments based on shot in the dark guesses and misinformation on your part. Your scenario with Rick and Darryl is something you started yourself a few weeks ago. Amazing that you claim to be a lawyer.

it's substantially certain that Kirkman will shock and amaze readers with whatever transpires in issue 100

How did you reach this conclusion? :popcorn:

:facepalm:

I make quite a few predictions on here and I must do pretty well since the only example you keep mentioning is an out of context price on Saga #1 RRP. You however have a multitude of misinformation and incorrect predictions. Your little game of trying to interpret my predictions is an attempt to sway the market is just silly. If you want true numbers on Walking Dead there is a vast historical sales history. Saga RRP on the other hand does not have a recent comparison that I am aware of.

You consistently wish to start arguments based on shot in the dark guesses and misinformation on your part. Your scenario with Rick and Darryl is something you started yourself a few weeks ago. Amazing that you claim to be a lawyer.

I didn't start any argument You did. I was simply making a prediction that if there is a huge plot development (not just killing off some of the 2nd tier characters) or Daryl Dixon's 1st appearance that this book is going to sell for big money (e.g., $700, $750) like Saga 1 RRP CGC 9.8 (which sold for $700 and then $750) on feebay. I have no doubt that a CGC SS 9.8 100 will sell for that amount and with all of the hype around this book at SDCC I won't be shocked if we see that figure. YOU on the other hand couldn't keep your trap shut and had to make rude comments and personal attacks against me so I simply reminded you of the last time you did the exact same thing (i.e., when we talked about the value of the Saga 1 RRP). Why you are threatened by my professional career is something you are going to have to work out on your own. Believe me, it's not a big deal that I practice law. Lots of people do it. It's no big deal.

As usual you make a prediction which I then commented on with more apples to apples comparisons. You compared WD 100 to Saga RRP. I compared it to other WD SDCC variants. Then as usual you claim I am making a personal attack in order to avoid the real discussion nullifying the need to substantiate your claims.