• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Put in a thrill bid on an AF #15 and won !!!

82 posts in this topic

Just to reinforce how good that price is.....

The just completed Comic Link Auction sold a 9.0 with Slight(A) for 15,000 and has another one with a 17,100 bid on it with a 30,000 ask price.

I thought long and hard about the one in the Comic Link Auction. I'm glad I did not pull the trigger.

Fast forward to Heritages auction of the Kylberg collection and another PLOD 9.0 shows up. I estimate in my head that it will crack about 10k but put a thrill bid in anyways. When I go to bed last night I'm the high bidder at $5500 but was expecting some floor bidding to trump me...it never came, my $5500 bid (plus BP)held up and I will be the proud and estatic owner of this book

The Great Crash! It's finally here! :o

Alright! The downturn is finally here :banana:

Maybe in a couple more years, I can afford one too :thumbsup:

Fast forward to Heritages auction of the Kylberg collection and another PLOD 9.0 shows up. I estimate in my head that it will crack about 10k but put a thrill bid in anyways. When I go to bed last night I'm the high bidder at $5500 but was expecting some floor bidding to trump me...it never came, my $5500 bid (plus BP)held up and I will be the proud and estatic owner of this book

The Great Crash! It's finally here! :o

Alright! The downturn is finally here :banana:

Maybe in a couple more years, I can afford one too :thumbsup:

Are indexed institutional investors in the comic market presently... hm No, not this week, or the next I'm afraid.

Keep saving (thumbs u

Congrats... wonderful copy...

It's sort of amazing that a restored copy at a 9.0 sells for such a fraction of what an unrestored copy goes for. Unbelievable.

With the prices being what they are, I will definitely be pursuing PLODs for major major keys like this as placeholder copies until I win the lottery. lol

Count: I sure am...I can't wait to actually have it in my hands. I've already taken the registry points and jumped my ASM set from 25th to 17th, and cracked the top 100 overall. Not bad for my meager collection of 44 slabs :)

Jim

Just to reinforce how good that price is.....

The just completed Comic Link Auction sold a 9.0 with Slight(A) for 15,000 and has another one with a 17,100 bid on it with a 30,000 ask price.

I thought long and hard about the one in the Comic Link Auction. I'm glad I did not pull the trigger.

it is a nice pick up, no doubt, and I believe priced very fairly...

the flaw in the logic about the price is that you can't compare jim's copy to the 2 on clink, nor "should" one compare the pricing (most obvious is mod resto vs slight)... the 2 clink copies are at the prices they are because bidders/buyers speculate that the "small" color touch or glue or little chip can be removed and result in an "un" restored copy that will slab maybe 1 or 2 grades lower in universal label (in 7.0 or better)...for example , a 7.0 or better AF 15 is a $22K (or, recently a sale at 50% more than that) or higher book...

this restored copy has been cleaned, which leaves no chance of it ever being able to be reverted back to "unrestored" and therefore, sold for a very attractive price...but you can't really compare it to the other slight Plod's (IMO)

as long as jim is happy, we are all happy for him (thumbs u

this is a nice thread/story... and i am happy that you got this book in your price range.

that alone is a wonderful feeling. but this book conjures up a little more.

it looks like a great copy, nice eye-appeal, in the NM 'family'... will always be a wonderful conversation piece and is, of course, a key of keys.

"... never have to look for this book again...and worry about what new records AF #15 sold for today." and isn't this just a good bit of that "grail" feeling. well said.

Hey newbie law student, you gotta pay attention to the fine print! I said the gap would widen because unrestored books would appreciate more quickly, not because the value of restored books was going to go down.

Dang Tim, got me there. I've got to stop posting at 4am. doh!

Nah, because that would imply you actually managed to convince 4 girls to marry you.

:roflmao:

That was good. I humbly accept defeat on that little exchange. :cry:

this restored copy has been cleaned, which leaves no chance of it ever being able to be reverted back to "unrestored"

So books can be restored and then unrestored but not cleaned and then uncleaned? (shrug) What exactly do they mean when they say it was "cleaned"? drycleaned?

Just curious. :thumbsup:

it is a nice pick up, no doubt, and I believe priced very fairly...

the flaw in the logic about the price is that you can't compare jim's copy to the 2 on clink, nor "should" one compare the pricing (most obvious is mod resto vs slight)... the 2 clink copies are at the prices they are because bidders/buyers speculate that the "small" color touch or glue or little chip can be removed and result in an "un" restored copy that will slab maybe 1 or 2 grades lower in universal label (in 7.0 or better)...for example , a 7.0 or better AF 15 is a $22K (or, recently a sale at 50% more than that) or higher book...

this restored copy has been cleaned, which leaves no chance of it ever being able to be reverted back to "unrestored" and therefore, sold for a very attractive price...but you can't really compare it to the other slight Plod's (IMO)

as long as jim is happy, we are all happy for him (thumbs u

That sounds like a bit of a risk no ? We know that unrestoring isnt applicable to all books and for many you cant undo what has already been done, slight CT, glue, or not without damaging the book. In most cases I doubt the buyers of these books had someone like Ciccone or Nelson look at the book in person to see if it could be done also.

I think with prices escalating the way they are its coming down to a simple if I spend 12K on an AF15 what do I want, a CGC 5.5 or a restored 9.0 that looks light years better. Getting priced out of a book at unrestored prices in grade can make people do odd things, including buying restored copies of Silver Age Keys. Jim got a great deal on a great book and im sure if he decided to sell right now could make a good amount off this book.

I can't remember the last time I was so happy to win a book but it happened to me today, I've been walking on air ever since.

Backstory: I have no problem with PLOD's as long at it's not extensive and no trimming is involved. Last year in Chicago, our fellow forum member Brent from QualityComix, had a beautiful AF #15 9.2 Old Label Moderate C-OW page beauty available for $12k. I so wanted this book and he even allowed me to take it from his stand and show a few people I trusted for their opinions. For some reason I was never able to get past the Cream to Off White page designation. It didn't take Brent long to move it after Chicago and I have been regretting my decision ever since. With every AF #15 setting a record price on a daily basis, I assumed my window of opportunity was lost and when I finally found one it was going to cost a fortune. Then a PLOD AF #15 9.0 shows up in the last CL auction and crack the 15k mark and I'm really kicking myself.

MyAF15.jpg

I know it's a PLOD and Silver Age but at 4-5% of the price of what a blue label goes for ($139,000 last auction), this is my keeper and never have to look for this book again...and worry about what new records AF #15 sold for today. Even my 11 year old today offered a congratulations because he knows what this book means to me.

Jim

What a smokin deal.You might be able to get a vg/vg+ from that.Instead you walked away with a real stunner.Congratulations.

Dennis