• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,467 posts in this topic

Some new additions to my slabbed Bone collection ...

bone-55-cgc-9.8-ss-copya-f.jpg

Jeff did this one for my daughter:

WHAT?!?! This particular issue has given me so many headaches over the years. I'm glad at least one of us has had success :insane:

I currently have a raw #55 that's on the 9.8/9.6 fence. When I get back to collecting in the winter, we'll see what happens...

Thank you my friend. I've missed you guys. :grin:

Unfortunately, Jeff has severely limited the amount of shows he goes to but I'm still looking forward to what Mr. Schmidt and the rest of you will come up with... :cool:

FYI, will be posting a few raws and slabs shortly (don't know if this is against board policy to mention this in the thread but just in case). :insane:

Talk about the Tales of the Lantern.

Talk about it's rarity.

Talk about Thorn.

Talk about the spin-offs.

Talk of potential movie news.

Talk about HTF reprints.

Talk about hidden meanings to panels.

Talk about Scholastic.

Show off your books.

All your books.

Talk about Jeff Smith's other works and how they connect with Bone.

Talk about how you feel about certain or all the issues.

Talk about anything to do with this series.

I'm listening.

:popcorn:

I rambled about Locke & Key day after day, sometimes worrying about people not caring. But, I was trying to help get potential readers. I feel as you are one of the experts on this title, I would enjoy to read a random post from you. :)

ive never read this book, but it comes highly recommended to me.

i am a person that really does not like paperback trades, but i may make an exception for this one if the HC is no longer being made.

Please let me know your thoughts

First thing you need to know is that there are two different versions of the story: the original in black & white and the newest in full color. HCs of each of the nine collected stories in color can be found at the Boneville Store while the black & whites would have to be found on places like eBay (but they go for around the same prices). One Volume editions (1300+ pages) of both versions in PB form are sold on this site as well but only the colored one in HC.

I've never read the colored version but the snippets I have seen look great. I think this newer version has definitely helped explode its popularity with a younger audience as it was originally marketed to the comic book store crowd during its initial run in black and white (1991-2004). I'll take a gander one of these days but most of my rereadings will be pure B&W.

The best description that's most often used for the Bone epic is a "humorous Lord of the Rings". It's basically a fish-out-of-water story where the three Bone cousins of a modern 90s world (with all the technology therein) clash with a medieval, fairytale world of humans, dragons, and rat creatures. The storytelling and art are top notch and I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Any more questions, let me know... :grin:

Talk about the Tales of the Lantern.

Talk about it's rarity.

Talk about Thorn.

Talk about the spin-offs.

Talk of potential movie news.

Talk about HTF reprints.

Talk about hidden meanings to panels.

Talk about Scholastic.

Show off your books.

All your books.

Talk about Jeff Smith's other works and how they connect with Bone.

Talk about how you feel about certain or all the issues.

Talk about anything to do with this series.

I'm listening.

:popcorn:

I rambled about Locke & Key day after day, sometimes worrying about people not caring. But, I was trying to help get potential readers. I feel as you are one of the experts on this title, I would enjoy to read a random post from you. :)

I think you've accurately described what fills this thread lol

I suspended my collecting over the last two years but I'm now back in full force. Please forgive me for forgetting how much fun all of this is and please read my WTB list in my sig :shy:

I almost forgot about the newest spinoff: Quest For The Spark Books One and Two written by Tom Sniegoski of Stupid, Stupid Rat Tails fame. Has anyone here read it? (shrug)

ive never read this book, but it comes highly recommended to me.

i am a person that really does not like paperback trades, but i may make an exception for this one if the HC is no longer being made.

Please let me know your thoughts

First thing you need to know is that there are two different versions of the story: the original in black & white and the newest in full color. HCs of each of the nine collected stories in color can be found at the Boneville Store while the black & whites would have to be found on places like eBay (but they go for around the same prices). One Volume editions (1300+ pages) of both versions in PB form are sold on this site as well but only the colored one in HC.

I've never read the colored version but the snippets I have seen look great. I think this newer version has definitely helped explode its popularity with a younger audience as it was originally marketed to the comic book store crowd during its initial run in black and white (1991-2004). I'll take a gander one of these days but most of my rereadings will be pure B&W.

The best description that's most often used for the Bone epic is a "humorous Lord of the Rings". It's basically a fish-out-of-water story where the three Bone cousins of a modern 90s world (with all the technology therein) clash with a medieval, fairytale world of humans, dragons, and rat creatures. The storytelling and art are top notch and I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Any more questions, let me know... :grin:

Nine times out of ten I prefer black and white comics but in the case of Bone the color job was outstanding. It's the version I go with :)

I think of Bone as a cross between Lord Of The Rings and The Smurfs.

Thank you so much fellas! a true wealth of information.

i really wish i could "get over" my OCD when it comes to Hard Cover Graphic Novels

Just read it for the sheer pleasure of it. Darn good read & fun. I read it to both my kids when they were younger & now they both have their own copies (the BIG TPB) that they re-read.

But happy for the buyer! Congrats :applause:

Thanks, Doc! Yeah, I was pretty shocked I got it for so low. My bid was twice that! People are silly though if going from 2 to 4 9.8 copies drops the price by a grand or more. I have to think that everyone was either spending budgets on other things, or waiting to get something later in the auction, since this came early in the 3-day auction. Whatever the reason, yeah, sorry, Seller! But know that it will be going to a very good home. It is one of my Top 5 grails. :cloud9: Never thought I'd own a 9.8. Had always planned to get a 9.4-9.6. Now to buy a frame to hang it on my wall!