• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,467 posts in this topic

Well... I am ridiculously late to the party but I finally picked up the 1300+ page all-in-one volume of Bone. Since I'm into using graphic novels and comics in my work (college English teacher and doctoral student), I have a long list of books on my "must read" list of which Bone has been one such entry. Thanks to a Borders 50% off coupon rendering this behemoth a mere $20... I picked it up! Anyhow, can't wait to read this as I've only heard great things about the series.

:whee:

Well... I am ridiculously late to the party but I finally picked up the 1300+ page all-in-one volume of Bone. Since I'm into using graphic novels and comics in my work (college English teacher and doctoral student), I have a long list of books on my "must read" list of which Bone has been one such entry. Thanks to a Borders 50% off coupon rendering this behemoth a mere $20... I picked it up! Anyhow, can't wait to read this as I've only heard great things about the series.

Ahhh to be a virgin again! Enjoy my friend! Let us know what you think, but keep in mind the story changes a lot part way through :)

It's a great book, Forest! Enjoy! (thumbs u

Bone is an excellent read, you'll be shocked :o

lol I don't think I'll be too shocked. I think what would shock me would be a Marvel/DC book that I'd really want to teach. Seems to me that the best modern books I've read (only in trade format--only real way I read moderns) have been all non-mainstream publishers and/or content (Vertigo is one I don't count even though it IS a part of DC) and Image is sorta kinda mainstreamish but they've really matured from their beginnings to branch off with some really creative material too. So I'm fully expecting great things from this book!

Quick question about #50.

I saw a slabbed copy of #50 on eBay. It says RED FOIL EDITION.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bone-50-CGC-9-4-2002-Jeff-Smith-Cartoon-Books-/300403482786?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f17160a2

Were all the #50's this way, or is there a variant? If it's a variant, does anyone know the ratio?

There was one other raw copy for sale on eBay that looked the same as the slabbed copy. But there were copies from mycomicshp.com with pictures that looked plain. However, their images looked faded so I'm stuck wondering if it's just the picture.

Quick question about #50.

I saw a slabbed copy of #50 on eBay. It says RED FOIL EDITION.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bone-50-CGC-9-4-2002-Jeff-Smith-Cartoon-Books-/300403482786?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f17160a2

Were all the #50's this way, or is there a variant? If it's a variant, does anyone know the ratio?

There was one other raw copy for sale on eBay that looked the same as the slabbed copy. But there were copies from mycomicshp.com with pictures that looked plain. However, their images looked faded so I'm stuck wondering if it's just the picture.

All copies of #50 have a red foil logo - it's a mistake on CGC's part.

Ok... I'm about 1/3 of the way through the book and the first thing that jumps out at me is the humor. There are just some aspects of the dialogue that come out of nowhere as a quick aside and catch you right off-guard. The pair of rat monsters really crack me up, particularly the recurring fascination with quiche. lol I still feel like I'm early on in the character development so still not sure what my thoughts are yet, but overall, an interesting book and at 50% off, definitely worth the $20. :)

Ok... I'm about 1/3 of the way through the book and the first thing that jumps out at me is the humor. There are just some aspects of the dialogue that come out of nowhere as a quick aside and catch you right off-guard. The pair of rat monsters really crack me up, particularly the recurring fascination with quiche. lol I still feel like I'm early on in the character development so still not sure what my thoughts are yet, but overall, an interesting book and at 50% off, definitely worth the $20. :)

Yeah, it's definitely got humor.

I've heard Jeff Smith describe it as a mix between Lord of the Rings and Disney's Uncle Scrooge/Duck Tales. (thumbs u

I am researching a possible misprint in Bone #12 (1st Printing). The inside cover incorrectly labels it as #11 instead of #12. Has anyone else seen this, or would they mind checking if they have the same issue to see if they see the same misprint?

As far as I recall, all 1st prints of Bone #12 have the incorrect listing in the indicia. I'm currently not at home, but I can check my copies tonight.