• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,467 posts in this topic

But happy for the buyer! Congrats :applause:

Thanks, Doc! Yeah, I was pretty shocked I got it for so low. My bid was twice that! People are silly though if going from 2 to 4 9.8 copies drops the price by a grand or more. I have to think that everyone was either spending budgets on other things, or waiting to get something later in the auction, since this came early in the 3-day auction. Whatever the reason, yeah, sorry, Seller! But know that it will be going to a very good home. It is one of my Top 5 grails. :cloud9: Never thought I'd own a 9.8. Had always planned to get a 9.4-9.6. Now to buy a frame to hang it on my wall!

At the start of the auction there were two: his and mschmidt's former copy. mschmidt's was the 2nd 9.8 and it sold way back in early 2010. The census got bumped twice in just the last seven days. Maybe not a grand, but it had to scare at least a few hundred off the price.

Either way, I'm glad it went to a fellow boardie :headbang:

Thanks, Doc! Yeah, I was pretty shocked I got it for so low. My bid was twice that! People are silly though if going from 2 to 4 9.8 copies drops the price by a grand or more. I have to think that everyone was either spending budgets on other things, or waiting to get something later in the auction, since this came early in the 3-day auction. Whatever the reason, yeah, sorry, Seller! But know that it will be going to a very good home. It is one of my Top 5 grails. :cloud9: Never thought I'd own a 9.8. Had always planned to get a 9.4-9.6. Now to buy a frame to hang it on my wall!

At the start of the auction there were two: his and mschmidt's former copy. mschmidt's was the 2nd 9.8 and it sold way back in early 2010. The census got bumped twice in just the last seven days. Maybe not a grand, but it had to scare at least a few hundred off the price.

That's pretty shocking. Fortuitous for me! Feel like the universe was looking out for me tonight. This issue is so incredibly tough to find without spine tics. From what I understand of pressing, it would be tough to press one of these into a 9.8 since the tics typically break the color. But maybe I'm wrong about that. I hope the Seller sees it more like I got the price up for him another hundred or two. (But it does feel like I just robbed some guy blind.) :shy:

The over/under on the 9.8 Bone #1 on Comiclink is $4k. I got the slightly under. How about you? (shrug)

Wow, turns out it was WAY under :o

I guess when the census on Universal 9.8s doubles inside of a week of the auction ending, the final price REALLY suffers. Feel bad for the seller :(

Wow - I threw in a $2,000 tracking bid earlier this week, but had no idea it would end this low. And this is the nicest of all the slabbed Bone #1 CGC 9.8s :tonofbricks:

Congrats to the buyer, though!

That's pretty shocking. Fortuitous for me! Feel like the universe was looking out for me tonight. This issue is so incredibly tough to find without spine tics. From what I understand of pressing, it would be tough to press one of these into a 9.8 since the tics typically break the color. But maybe I'm wrong about that. I hope the Seller sees it more like I got the price up for him another hundred or two. (But it does feel like I just robbed some guy blind.) :shy:

The black back covers increase the difficulty in finding 9.8s by at least a factor of ten, and not just for the spine ticks but also the way they etch people's fingerprints into the fabric of the paper.

The comic book gods have smiled on you. Enjoy it! (thumbs u

The black back covers increase the difficulty in finding 9.8s by at least a factor of ten, and not just for the spine ticks but also the way they etch people's fingerprints into the fabric of the paper.

The comic book gods have smiled on you. Enjoy it! (thumbs u

That's true. Those fingerprints can be a nightmare with those black back covers on books.

I was going thru some old papers and found an article about Jeff Smith. Apparently Bone was featured on the cover of "The Sundial", the Ohio State University humor magazine from 1985.

According to the article, "Jeff was involved in the short lived revival of The New Sundial, during the beginning of 1986. Four issues were produced and Jeff lent his artwork for the color cover of issue two (Vol 1 No 2 dated March 5, 1986). He also produced a “Thorn” page for the last three issues of that year."

I couldn't find an image anywhere. Does anyone own a copy of this??

I was going thru some old papers and found an article about Jeff Smith. Apparently Bone was featured on the cover of "The Sundial", the Ohio State University humor magazine from 1985.

According to the article, "Jeff was involved in the short lived revival of The New Sundial, during the beginning of 1986. Four issues were produced and Jeff lent his artwork for the color cover of issue two (Vol 1 No 2 dated March 5, 1986). He also produced a “Thorn” page for the last three issues of that year."

I couldn't find an image anywhere. Does anyone own a copy of this??

I don't think I've ever heard this mentioned. Have only read about his comic strips in The Lantern in the early 80s. Please show us anything you find.

As proof that I've truly been away from comics for the last two years, I watched The Cartoonist: Jeff Smith, BONE, and the Changing Face of Comics for the first time last night and I did enjoy it. There's nothing particularly new in the presentation but it's always nice to see things that I've read about for the last 20 years come to life on the small screen.

I was really hoping to see more of the Bone and Beyond art exhibit that went on display at the Wexner Center in mid 2008 but the documentary only showed a few stills. I thought an event such as this could have gone a long way towards illustrating that comics are finally getting seen as an art form (something they sorta complain about in the movie itself).

In the filmmaker's defense, they had probably finished shooting before it opened. Might have been worth the added expense though. (shrug)

Weird. I've been seeing more Scholastic TPB Bones at yard sales lately. I just bought a couple from one down the road from me even. The previous owner even scribbled her name behind the cover. I haven't seen that kind of owner attachment since the vintage Nancy Drew books. I really don't mind. It gives the books character. But, it's definitely something you don't see with Moderns. This could be a bigger phenomenon down the road.

This question may have already come up, but ill throw it out anyway.

How often, if ever, does original art from Bone come up on the market and what kind of prices are they fetching?

The only original Jeff Smith Bone art that ever comes up are pieces done outside of the actual book (post cards, various TPB covers, CBLDF auction sketches, etc.). I'm pretty sure none of the original art for the regular series has ever come up for sale as all of it was donated to Ohio State's Cartoon Research Library upon completion. Some of the artwork from Rose painted by Charles Vess occasionally surfaces though.

There was a limited edition 20th Anniversary Box Set that included a painted original art piece which came out last year but has long since sold out (limited to 50). A few people have posted theirs on CAF.

Edited by docgo

He wasn't at SDCC this year ...

On his blog, he was quite proud of himself for sticking to his fewer convention appearances in 2012. :cry:

He's been a convention hound since the beginning of Bone so I suppose he deserves a vacation. Just Toronto in May. Any witnesses attend? (shrug)