• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,464 posts in this topic

The last time I saw that Bone mug was in April 2021. Came with the box too but went for way more than I was willing to pay.

I'm with you on another art-sized Artist's Edition, perhaps of the first eight issues. I’m surprised more people don’t talk about The Great Cow Race by IDW. It was spectacularly done.

They need to do an art print of the newest cover to the One Volume Edition.

IMG_2872.jpeg

On 8/13/2023 at 12:32 PM, DocGo said:

The last time I saw that Bone mug was in April 2021. Came with the box too but went for way more than I was willing to pay.

How much did it go for?? 

I'm with you on another art-sized Artist's Edition, perhaps of the first eight issues. I’m surprised more people don’t talk about The Great Cow Race by IDW. It was spectacularly done.

I'd love to see the whole series divided up the way the trades are, and done up as artist's editions...it'd be an incredible collection of books!

They need to do an art print of the newest cover to the One Volume Edition.

Agreed! It's cool how they repurposed that art with a different background...that's the first panel of Issue #7 when Fone Bone and Thorn arrive at the Spring Fair...they turned Fone's frown upside down and ditched Thorn's basket. 

Issue7.jpeg

On 8/13/2023 at 11:56 PM, videoloop said:

How much did it go for?? 

$107 shipped.

On 8/13/2023 at 11:56 PM, videoloop said:

Agreed! It's cool how they repurposed that art with a different background...that's the first panel of Issue #7 when Fone Bone and Thorn arrive at the Spring Fair...they turned Fone's frown upside down and ditched Thorn's basket. 

This is the first time I’ve ever seen this page colorized lol I’ve still only read Bone #1 in color when it came out in the 10th Anniversary edition. The background for the new One Volume Edition cover was part of a conceptual art piece done for the Nickelodeon movie that never came to be. 

IMG_2874.jpeg

Edited by DocGo
Misspelling

On 8/14/2023 at 11:17 AM, EmpyreDave said:

My favorite Bone item is my Bone #1 8.5. 

I’ve posted pictures of some of my other Bone items but I don’t think I have posted these. 

IMG_2381.jpeg

IMG_2377.jpeg

IMG_2378.jpeg

IMG_2379.jpeg

IMG_2371.jpeg

IMG_2369.jpeg

IMG_2373.jpeg

IMG_2375.jpeg

IMG_2374.jpeg

IMG_2376.jpeg

The Kingdok is great! I’ve always been partial to the Phoney Bone as Ahab too since #13 was the first Bone comic I bought off the rack. I only have the blue vested Smiley because it included his cigar :bigsmile:

Fantastic collection!

On 8/14/2023 at 1:49 PM, DocGo said:

I’ve always been partial to the Phoney Bone as Ahab too since #13 was the first Bone comic I bought off the rack.

Me too!! I can still smell the dingy old comic shop I discovered it in...I saw those little white dudes and was completely taken with them. I remember it vividly!

On 8/14/2023 at 1:40 PM, DocGo said:

This is the first time I’ve even this page colorized lol I’ve still only read Bone #1 in color when it came out in the 10th Anniversary edition. The background for the new One Volume Edition cover was part of a conceptual art piece done for the Nickelodeon movie that never came to be. 

IMG_2874.jpeg

Niiiice...I've never seen that painting before...it's beautiful! Is there more concept art out there that you know of?

On 8/14/2023 at 1:40 PM, DocGo said:

$107 shipped.

Wowzers. 

On 8/11/2023 at 4:30 PM, videoloop said:

Two things today..first, a quick shoutout to @WilliamG.Staggers..I purchased a first print #1 from him in 9.2 which arrived today. Always appreciate the opportunity to buy from the members of this community!

Second, I was looking through my collection today and got to thinking about what you guys might have tucked away in your Bone collections.
• Which items are your favourites?
• Is there anything you don't have that you wish you did?
• If you could create any Bone item that we haven't seen yet, what would it be?

@DocGo great OA posts...can't wait to see what else you've got up your sleeve!

One of my favorite items I have Bone #2 9.8 SS. Out of the 14 9.8’s in the registry it is the only SS! I got it witnessed last year at SDCC. Also that day I got 3 other copies of #1 signed. 1 was raw and two were 9.0’s that I cracked. One came back a 9.4! And the raw got an 8.5 and the other 9.0 came back a 8.5 :/ 

Still on the hunt for a #1 9.8

On 8/16/2023 at 2:41 PM, Aaroncash said:

One of my favorite items I have Bone #2 9.8 SS. Out of the 14 9.8’s in the registry it is the only SS! I got it witnessed last year at SDCC. Also that day I got 3 other copies of #1 signed. 1 was raw and two were 9.0’s that I cracked. One came back a 9.4! And the raw got an 8.5 and the other 9.0 came back a 8.5 :/ 

Still on the hunt for a #1 9.8

Pics of the #2 or it didn’t happen…:whistle:

Welcome! lol

On 8/16/2023 at 5:21 PM, DocGo said:

Pics of the #2 or it didn’t happen…:whistle:

Welcome! lol

Thanks! Glad to know about this group.

You’ll all appreciate this… here is my live CGC unboxing video that Jeff Smith himself commented on and reposted!!

https://x.com/jeffsmithsbone/status/1612991223853191169?s=46&t=0T8-yhvitmztreb3mpabZA

On 8/17/2023 at 12:01 PM, DocGo said:

The Bone cousins were involved in a couple crossovers in the mid-to-late 90s which contributed to the only interior pages by Jeff Smith that have ever been in the open market: Shi/Cyblade: The Battle for Independents #1 and Castle Waiting #1. By my guess, there’s no more than five of these pages out there including the one below.

This is the first page of the Bones’ appearance in Castle Waiting which was a story written & drawn by Linda Medley and published by Cartoon Books for 4 issues. Our anonymous collector says Jeff pencilled and inked the Bones and created the lettering. Linda inked her characters and the backgrounds, and, impressively, does not appear to have pencilled anything first. Don’t know how these artists do it.

IMG_2870.thumb.jpeg.70aafaa4956df012fd55f02dacca3cf9.jpeg

I own that book and I don't remember the cameo. I'm old!

On 8/17/2023 at 11:54 AM, Aaroncash said:

You’ll all appreciate this… here is my live CGC unboxing video that Jeff Smith himself commented on and reposted!!

https://x.com/jeffsmithsbone/status/1612991223853191169?s=46&t=0T8-yhvitmztreb3mpabZA

That was a tantalizing video..brb..clean up aisle me. lol

On 8/17/2023 at 1:01 PM, DocGo said:

The Bone cousins were involved in a couple crossovers in the mid-to-late 90s which contributed to the only interior pages by Jeff Smith that have ever been in the open market: Shi/Cyblade: The Battle for Independents #1 and Castle Waiting #1. By my guess, there’s no more than five of these pages out there including the one below.

This is the first page of the Bones’ appearance in Castle Waiting which was a story written & drawn by Linda Medley and published by Cartoon Books for 4 issues. Our anonymous collector says Jeff pencilled and inked the Bones and created the lettering. Linda inked her characters and the backgrounds, and, impressively, does not appear to have pencilled anything first. Don’t know how these artists do it.

Another great piece...thanks for sharing @DocGo! I just picked up a run of Castle Waiting..looking forward to reading it even more now that I know there's a Bone appearance!

On 8/19/2023 at 9:40 PM, DocGo said:

I was wondering why I wasn’t seeing his usual social media posts. This is horrible :(

https://x.com/kathleenglosan/status/1695062804619784360?s=46&t=0T8-yhvitmztreb3mpabZA

“Many of you have asked about sending a card to Jeff - and those are always welcome! Please send to: Cartoon Books PO Box 16973, Columbus, OH 43216. xoxo CB Crew”

IMG_6568.png

On 8/24/2023 at 12:10 PM, DocGo said:

Firstly, everything I’ve seen reported from friends and associates of Jeff says that he’s heading in the right direction which is obviously great news. Keep those prayers going as I’m sure he and his wife can use all the help they can get!

Don’t know if any of you were following Jeff’s Twitter account back in 2020 but he held a charitable auction for BINC (Book Industry Charitable Foundation). Quite a few artists sold original art on eBay, but for some reason Jeff sold his on Twitter. It was a Batman/Bone piece that got a good amount of interest. Our anonymous collector didn’t love or hate it but put in a few bids because it was Jeff Smith after all. He was ultimately the second underbidder, but asked Jeff afterwards if he could do a piece in exchange for a charitable donation … and he agreed!

The hefty sum went to BINC and our collector got the finished sketch below with the Bone cousins and the Great Red Dragon (the page is about 7”x9”). Like Thorn, the Dragon isn’t drawn much on Jeff’s typical con sketches and, when he is, the result is usually very rough because of his complexity. Given that the Dragon is my favorite character in the saga, seeing a finished ink version of Red is :cloud9:

IMG_2855.thumb.jpeg.6f863091172db6d2fdd6e7ceb03e4b20.jpeg

That is marvelous. Thanks for sharing.

I would not have been clever enough to have asked even though I had something similar happen. I lost a charity auction hosted by Metropolis Comics (Vincent Zurzolo) for a Joe Kubert commission. I was the underbidder. Vincent reached out a day or so later and said if I'd match the winner's bid, Joe would do one for me. I accepted immediately!

Another Thorn: Tales from the Lantern copy will be in the November Signature Auction on Heritage. The images aren’t up yet but the description certainly piqued my interest. It says that it’s the “only CGC-witnessed signature copy, but was rejected due to CGC’s unwillingness to encapsulate this particular format of book”. Also states that it comes with “a COA signed by Jeff Smith on Bone letterhead”. They estimate the grade is 6.5.

I’ll guess that the signature is on the cover which is unfortunate IMHO. If the owner just read this thread he/she could have saved some time and possibly the appearance of the book lol

***I reserve the right to change my opinion if the sig on the cover looks great (or was actually signed on the interior) :foryou: