• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,463 posts in this topic

On 8/29/2023 at 5:05 PM, DocGo said:

Another Thorn: Tales from the Lantern copy will be in the November Signature Auction on Heritage. The images aren’t up yet but the description certainly piqued my interest. It says that it’s the “only CGC-witnessed signature copy, but was rejected due to CGC’s unwillingness to encapsulate this particular format of book”. Also states that it comes with “a COA signed by Jeff Smith on Bone letterhead”. They estimate the grade is 6.5.

I’ll guess that the signature is on the cover which is unfortunate IMHO. If the owner just read this thread he/she could have saved some time and possibly the appearance of the book lol

***I reserve the right to change my opinion if the sig on the cover looks great (or was actually signed on the interior) :foryou:

I was hyped for your registry, until the 6.5, but idk if that would detour your or not. Or wasn't it you that was thinking 1-10 ss? Or were you meaning that it is a qualified 6.5? And signed by an artist who is no longer able? But at least with a C.O.A.?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/29/2023 at 5:57 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I was hyped for your registry, until the 6.5, but idk if that would detour your or not. Or wasn't it you that was thinking 1-10 ss? Or were you meaning that it is a qualified 6.5? And signed by an artist who is no longer able? But at least with a C.O.A.?

Lol mixed emotions here, didn't have all the facts, but I was excited and wondering how it will turn out!

On 8/29/2023 at 5:57 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The Thorn books will no longer be graded by CGC (a policy put in place after October 2021). The owner probably had a witness with him as he got this book signed but, when he sent it to Sarasota, it got sent back without being encapsulated. I suppose he asked Jeff to write something up for him regarding the signature.

I posted my own Thorn a few months ago (6/8) which was also rejected. Until I got the rejection notice, I had no idea they didn’t grade them anymore. I let everyone know a couple days later in this thread (6/10) having forgotten to mention it on my June 8th message.

On 8/29/2023 at 7:18 PM, DocGo said:

The Thorn books will no longer be graded by CGC (a policy put in place after October 2021). The owner probably had a witness with him as he got this book signed but, when he sent it to Sarasota, it got sent back without being encapsulated. I suppose he asked Jeff to write something up for him regarding the signature.

I posted my own Thorn a few months ago (6/8) which was also rejected. Until I got the rejection notice, I had no idea they didn’t grade them anymore. I let everyone know a couple days later in this thread (6/10) having forgotten to mention it on my June 8th message.

Awesome 👍😎 or in this case maybe good to know. Unfortunate but thanks for reminding me :)

On 8/29/2023 at 3:05 PM, DocGo said:

Another Thorn: Tales from the Lantern copy will be in the November Signature Auction on Heritage. The images aren’t up yet but the description certainly piqued my interest. It says that it’s the “only CGC-witnessed signature copy, but was rejected due to CGC’s unwillingness to encapsulate this particular format of book”. Also states that it comes with “a COA signed by Jeff Smith on Bone letterhead”. They estimate the grade is 6.5.

I’ll guess that the signature is on the cover which is unfortunate IMHO. If the owner just read this thread he/she could have saved some time and possibly the appearance of the book lol

***I reserve the right to change my opinion if the sig on the cover looks great (or was actually signed on the interior) :foryou:

Imagine how pissed you’d be if you went through the efforts to get it witnessed and then CGC said they wouldn’t encapsulate it. 

anyone have a guess how much the #1 9.8 on will ultimately go for in this current HA auction? Anyone here bidding?

On 8/31/2023 at 8:17 AM, Aaroncash said:

Imagine how pissed you’d be if you went through the efforts to get it witnessed and then CGC said they wouldn’t encapsulate it. 

anyone have a guess how much the #1 9.8 on will ultimately go for in this current HA auction? Anyone here bidding?

The CGC people at the convention didn’t know that the book could no longer get graded and why would they? It’s rare that copies of Thorn ever surface and clearly not enough people read this thread :whistle:

I’ll put in my estimate for the 9.8 #1 on the Wednesday before. As I said a few weeks back, this is one of the better NM/MT copies that I’ve seen and definitely superior to the last 9.8 that Heritage offered. I am not bidding but someone here needs to win it!

On 8/31/2023 at 11:40 AM, DocGo said:

This is the second page of the Bone/Castle Waiting crossover with the Bone cousins blue pencilled and inked by Jeff Smith, lettering by Jeff Smith, and everything else by Linda Medley (with no pencilling).
IMG_2869.thumb.jpeg.0ad91c3c17f779d6cc9086477b902103.jpeg

Jeff Smith's inks are so clean and that's a great example of his digital + traditional lettering.

Yes indeed, our anonymous collector has the third and final page of the Bone cousins’ appearance in Castle Waiting #1! He bought the whole collection in the 90s from Linda Medley’s brother who was raising funds for further publication of the series. The pages weren't originally signed by Jeff so the collector sent them to Cartoon Books a couple years ago to remedy the situation. He says that this process was a nerve-racking couple of weeks but everything turned out smoothly :)

IMG_2868.thumb.jpeg.1263a5ad54c3507fc8a5a9e5bdec16c3.jpeg

I think the 9.8 #1 will “only” hit $12.6k or 13.2k (including BP). As I’ve said, it’s a superior copy compared to the last Heritage 9.8 that finished at $12k last year but the trends suggest to me that the economy will ultimately affect the end result. It definitely deserves more.

What do you guys think?

Someone here either won it or pumped up that price by a few increments to make me look bad lol. Everyone seemed to use their cut bids near the end which I thought was interesting.

This 9.8 definitely deserved the all-time high price. Buyer and seller should be very happy :)

On 9/25/2023 at 9:03 AM, Captain ShipWreck said:

out of curiosity, is this piece one of the two pieces Jeff gave as gifts to convention organizers? 

No, his piece was created long before Jeff ever went to a comic convention. Which ones are you referring to?