• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

On 2017-04-17 at 7:44 PM, Sqeggs said:
On 2017-04-17 at 7:15 PM, Yorick said:
On 2017-04-16 at 9:05 PM, Sqeggs said:

My only Church Baker.

KGrHqFHJCkFHmpV6qBR7-01wiY60_57_zps8d0bf

It's interesting that my copy of WR7 also has that brownish bleed-through onto the cover.  I've seen a few of these with that issue.

Characteristic St John staining.  It's on a lot of their books. Caused I imagine by the inferior paper or inks or both he was using.

At one point, CGC seemed not to downgrade for it, apparently considering it a production defect.  Now, unfortunately, I believe they do.  I'm not sure that copy would hold its 8.0 grade on a straight resubmit. 

That Church copy was mine.

Are you sure they downgrade for that transfer stain?

I've seen books grade higher than 8.0 with it.

22 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

That Church copy was mine.

Are you sure they downgrade for that transfer stain?

I've seen books grade higher than 8.0 with it.

My impression is that they have changed their position to ding transfer stains more than they did.  Have you seen books graded recently where the stain seems to have been given little weight in the grading?

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

My impression is that they have changed their position to ding transfer stains more than they did.  Have you seen books graded recently where the stain seems to have been given little weight in the grading?

Not recently, no.

I find changes in grading standards like that frustrating.

For what it's worth, I heard recently from a non-boardie that he had picked up a copy of All-Picture All-True Love Story 2 -- not the copy that sold a few weeks ago on eBay. I guess that lengthens the lead a bit for Diary Secrets nn as the rarest Baker.

10 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

For what it's worth, I heard recently from a non-boardie that he had picked up a copy of All-Picture All-True Love Story 2 -- not the copy that sold a few weeks ago on eBay. I guess that lengthens the lead a bit for Diary Secrets nn as the rarest Baker.

Dat's what I bin sayin' dis whole time. 

2 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

That is precisely the point I've been making on these very boards for quite some little time. :taptaptap:

You are absolutely correct, my good fellow.  Spot on! :)

Edited by Sqeggs
Edit? What edit?

15 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

15 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

That is precisely the point I've been making on these very boards for quite some little time. :taptaptap:

You are absolutely correct, my good fellow.  Spot on! :)

Quite so.  Indubitably. 

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:31 PM, VintageComics said:

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:28 PM, Sqeggs said:

Not recently, no.

Yeah... and doesn't that just totally defeat the notion of "consistent grading", which they simultaneously use as a selling point?

2 hours ago, 29dukedog said:
On 5/10/2017 at 9:31 PM, VintageComics said:

On 5/10/2017 at 9:28 PM, Sqeggs said:

Not recently, no.

Yeah... and doesn't that just totally defeat the notion of "consistent grading", which they simultaneously use as a selling point?

It does and it's definitely not ideal that there are books whose grades we know would be different if they were resubmitted because CGC has changed how it evaluates certain defects.  For instance, CGC's changed position on tape means that there are at least some GA keys whose grades would be lower if they were to be resubmitted now.

Otoh, to never adjust their grading standards would mean they were stuck forevermore with decisions made back in 2000.

Seems like a dilemma that's tough to resolve to everyone's satisfaction. 

8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

It does and it's definitely not ideal that there are books whose grades we know would be different if they were resubmitted because CGC has changed how it evaluates certain defects.  For instance, CGC's changed position on tape means that there are at least some GA keys whose grades would be lower if they were to be resubmitted now.

Otoh, to never adjust their grading standards would mean they were stuck forevermore with decisions made back in 2000.

Seems like a dilemma that's tough to resolve to everyone's satisfaction. 

Then, I guess the question becomes, "How long will it take to finally arrive at a set of definitive standards that need no further revision?"  Or, will grading standards always be evolving, and never become definitive?

One of my Diary Secrets 27 came back from CGC as a QUALIFIED 0.5.  Two interior pages torn in half and missing.  Shouldn't that just be a blue label 0.5, or a qualified ____ (place your higher qualified grade here)?

I am stupified.  Looks like PGX ain't so bad after all...

1 minute ago, Yorick said:

One of my Diary Secrets 27 came back from CGC as a QUALIFIED 0.5.  Two interior pages torn in half and missing.  Shouldn't that just be a blue label 0.5, or a qualified ____ (place your higher qualified grade here)?

I am stupified.  Looks like PGX ain't so bad after all...

That does seem like a screwup.  Might be worth giving them a call to talk about it.

Just now, Sqeggs said:

That does seem like a screwup.  Might be worth giving them a call to talk about it.

Definitely a screw-up, but it's too funny to resubmit.

Its a nice reminder that the grading companies are really just selling a more secure/protective "bag and board".

4 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Then, I guess the question becomes, "How long will it take to finally arrive at a set of definitive standards that need no further revision?"  Or, will grading standards always be evolving, and never become definitive?

Grading is relatively subjective to some degree (it's not like a VF can be a VG but the subtle differences from VF to VF+ can sometimes be blorred) and because I think grading is subjective, the standards change when the people doing the grading change because different people can feel differently about some defects.

We saw that when Borock left CGC and Haspel became primary grader, etc, etc.