• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,349 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

And your completing his FH run will also be a great accomplishment.  Not sure I know of anyone who has managed that. 

I think cheetah was pretty close, if not complete, with to respect Baker era FH.

31 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I don't think I want to take on completing all of his non-St John stuff.  But that would really be an accomplishment if someone could manage it!

I think that what you have done with a nearly complete St John Baker Romance set is both amazing and probably the harder task.

3 hours ago, BakerFanOne said:

Baker was truly inspired when he created this masterpiece.  I consider this in Baker's all-time Top 10 with his Seven Seas 4 and 6 and Cinderella Love 25 and Phantom Lady 17.

AuthenticPoliceCases60002.jpg

I was lucky to stumble across the Church copy of this issue many, many years ago.

Auth.PoliceCases6(MH).jpg

7 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Hey that's my avatar. Nice going on the Church copy.

Ron, you also have a copy of A-P A-T Love Story #1, don't you?  We were trying to figure out how many of them we've seen.  I believe yours has grease pencil on the cover.  Am I right? 

20 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

I was lucky to stumble across the Church copy of this issue many, many years ago.

Auth.PoliceCases6(MH).jpg

What a beauty - if I remember correctly there was a transfer stain on the front and back covers but still a stunning book!

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I'm no Baker expert but I think this is the rarest Baker giant. Much tougher thanks the Diary Secrets giant. This is about the only copy I have seen. The fact that this is the online I recall seeing here supports this. It has been on my want list for over 20 years. I have kind of given up finding one unless I get lucky.

I also seem to recall Heritage putting one up for sale with other giants a few years ago.  I bid on it but the price was getting a little rich for my blood.  Of course, it would have been a bargain in retrospective.  Should be in their archives.

1 minute ago, BakerFanOne said:
2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I'm no Baker expert but I think this is the rarest Baker giant. Much tougher thanks the Diary Secrets giant. This is about the only copy I have seen. The fact that this is the online I recall seeing here supports this. It has been on my want list for over 20 years. I have kind of given up finding one unless I get lucky.

I also seem to recall Heritage putting one up for sale with other giants a few years ago.  I bid on it but the price was getting a little rich for my blood.  Of course, it would have been a bargain in retrospective.  Should be in their archives.

Maybe the copy that 29dukedog describes above -- bought in a group on Heritage by Metro and then listed separately on their site?

18 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Ron, you also have a copy of A-P A-T Love Story #1, don't you?  We were trying to figure out how many of them we've seen.  I believe yours has grease pencil on the cover.  Am I right? 

I do, but I've never posted it, I haven't even scanned it. It doesn't have a grease pencil though. You've still got good esp.

I'll try to scan it later. 

Edited by comicnoir

Just now, comicnoir said:
18 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

I do, but I've never posted it, I haven't even scanned it. It doesn't have a grease pencil though. You've got good esp.

I'll try to scan my copy later.

Probably the result of his time as the Hypnotoad. :)

1 minute ago, comicnoir said:

I do, but I've never posted it, I haven't even scanned it. It doesn't have a grease pencil though. You've got good esp.

I'll try to scan my copy later. 

Ok, well I know I've also seen a lower mid grade copy with conspicuous grease pencil.  It might have even sold through Heritage, and thus still be found in the archives.

1 minute ago, 29dukedog said:

Does that make six copies we know of?  Might push the (known) population a little ahead of DS nn and A-P A-T LS 2. hm

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Does that make six copies we know of?  Might push the (known) population a little ahead of DS nn and A-P A-T LS 2. hm

You counted three earlier... plus Ron's... plus the grease pencil copy... five.

1 minute ago, 29dukedog said:

You've got mine counted in.  I think the the Diary Secrets NN is less common.