• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,324 posts in this topic

Interesting. Appears McLaughlin had the opportunity to buy some Church books during the time before the catalog was prepared. Still leaves the question as to why he wouldn't have bought the TAR 1 along with the 2 and 3.

Of course, there's also the point that whoever consigned his books to HA had an incentive to label as many as possible pedigree copies. Not to say that they weren't all correctly labeled; let's assume that they were. Still I wonder if CGC accepted the HA designation as sufficient proof when the buyer sent the books in for grading. Or does CGC have a more comprehensive list of Church copies against which they checked the books?

A lot of interesting questions about how pedigree books get verified. As rob_react works on this project, I would guess he will help answer some of these questions.

very interesting story John McLaughin also own lots of Comic OA. 2 Matt Baker Lorna Doone pgs were auctioned in 2006 and lots other Baker OA which maybe also came from John Collection? during 2006-07 many Original Baker pieces pop in the market.

Perhaps another indication that McLaughlin was a Baker fan far enough back that it would be plausible that he would have picked up the two TAR issues from Chuck prior to 1977.

Unfortunately, I didn't. As you might imagine, I'll follow the discussion on the TAR 3 with some interest.

I think the weight of the evidence is in favor of both books being Church copies. In any event, I don't think there's any chance of CGC revoking the designation at this late date.

I'm hoping that in the course of rob_react's Church project we get some greater clarity concerning how CGC decides whether a book is a pedigree copy. I have a feeling, though, that, like their grading criteria, their procedure here will remain shrouded in mystery.

Interesting. Appears McLaughlin had the opportunity to buy some Church books during the time before the catalog was prepared. Still leaves the question as to why he wouldn't have bought the TAR 1 along with the 2 and 3.

Of course, there's also the point that whoever consigned his books to HA had an incentive to label as many as possible pedigree copies. Not to say that they weren't all correctly labeled; let's assume that they were. Still I wonder if CGC accepted the HA designation as sufficient proof when the buyer sent the books in for grading. Or does CGC have a more comprehensive list of Church copies against which they checked the books?

A lot of interesting questions about how pedigree books get verified. As rob_react works on this project, I would guess he will help answer some of these questions.

It may have been as simple as John already having a copy of # 1....... or that Chuck had the # 1's in a separate area. One thing easy to forget, also, is the value of a dollar in 1977. For example .... $ 10 would get you two large combination Pizzas AND a six pack of Budweiser. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It may have been as simple as John already having a copy of # 1....... or that Chuck had the # 1's in a separate area. One thing easy to forget, also, is the value of a dollar in 1977. For example .... $ 10 would get you two large combination Pizzas AND a six pack of Budweiser. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Those were the days ... when I could eat that stuff without immediately gaining five pounds!

Last one I needed to complete my Pictorial Romances run.

PICTORIALROMANCES14_zps42230603.jpg

That is exactly what my wife's mom said to her...except substitute comic dealer for gambler.

That is exactly what my wife's mom said to her...except substitute comic dealer for gambler.

Well, Mom's do know about this sort of thing ....

...especially when it comes to cheap and low-down :ohnoez:

...especially when it comes to cheap and low-down :ohnoez:

And then your wife's Mom saw the Action 15 cover and all was forgiven! :D