• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

HollywoodConfessions01fc100_zps3da76d73.jpg

I've always liked this cover - it's everyone's favorite stereotype of the tyrannical Hollywood producer, and you got to love the guy's outfit, from the wide loud tie down to the white oxfords.

Just saw the CC result on the Seven Seas 4. It beat out the PL 23 in the same grade by over a grand. Would not have happened not that long ago.

That's good news. I'll have to search for this one. Haven't seen the Baker box in a few months.

15865640339_eb6f4ff68c_c.jpg

Just saw the CC result on the Seven Seas 4. It beat out the PL 23 in the same grade by over a grand. Would not have happened not that long ago.

That's good news. I'll have to search for this one. Haven't seen the Baker box in a few months.

15865640339_eb6f4ff68c_c.jpg16058933825_c3341de5d1_c.jpg

Two favorites. Which one do you like better? Schomburg may have an advantage due to his airbrush technique.

Two favorites. Which one do you like better? Schomburg may have an advantage due to his airbrush technique.

Baker. More girl, less shark! :D

15865640339_eb6f4ff68c_c.jpg Two favorites. Which one do you like better? Schomburg may have an advantage due to his airbrush technique.

Good point! :banana:

(thumbs u

rob_react's thread on the Church collection got me to thinking again about Edgar's Baker St John books. Jimbo pointed out that Mark Woodcock had compiled Chuck's sales catalog into a spreadsheet.

Using that spreadsheet I found the following for the main Baker St John titles. I noted with an asterisk copies that Chuck graded as at least VF.

Diary Secrets

(Chuck lists a 2, 4, and 5 but these are presumably Blue Ribbon or TDS issues.)

10-13

15*

16*

Pictorial Confessions/Romances

1*

2-4

5*

6*

7*

9*

10*

11*

12-13

14*

15-16

Teen-Age Diary Secrets

6 (This one is the Marilyn Monroe photo cover. Chuck graded it G.)

nn

Teen-Age Romances

1*

4-10

13-15

16*

18*

19-20

21*

22-24

26-29

Teen-Age Temptations

2*

True-Love Pictorial

None?

War-Time Romances

1*

2*

3*

4*

5*

6*

7* (Chuck graded this as NM, but CGC graded it as 8.0 (VF))

8-16

Thoughts?

Edited by Sqeggs

rob_react's thread on the Church collection got me to thinking again about Edgar's Baker St John books. Jimbo pointed out that Mark Woodcock had compiled Chuck's sales catalog into a spreadsheet.

Using that spreadsheet I found the following for the main Baker St John titles. I noted with an asterisk copies that Chuck graded as at least VF.

Diary Secrets

10-13

15*

16*

1*

2-4

5*

6*

7*

9*

10*

11*

12-13

14*

15-16

Teen-Age Diary Secrets

nn

Teen-Age Romances

1*

4-10

13-15

16*

18*

19-20

21*

22-24

26-29

Teen-Age Temptations

2*

True-Love Pictorial

None?

War-Time Romances

1*

2*

3*

4*

5*

6*

8-16

Thoughts?

Even though Teen-Age Romances 2 and 3 don't appear to be on this list, I clearly remember both Heritage and Comic Connect auctioning what were supposedly the Church copies of those two issues. I wonder, now, if they really were...

Diary Secrets

10-13

15*

16*

1*

2-4

5*

6*

7*

9*

10*

11*

12-13

14*

15-16

Teen-Age Diary Secrets

nn

Teen-Age Romances

1*

4-10

13-15

16*

18*

19-20

21*

22-24

26-29

Teen-Age Temptations

2*

True-Love Pictorial

None?

War-Time Romances

1*

2*

3*

4*

5*

6*

8-16

Thoughts?

Even though Teen-Age Romances 2 and 3 don't appear to be on this list, I clearly remember both Heritage and Comic Connect auctioning what were supposedly the Church copies of those two issues. I wonder, now, if they really were...

You are right. Checking the HA archives, they auctioned a raw TAR 2 (graded NM) in September 2006. The hammer price was $1,015.75. The listing indicates the book was from the John McLaughlin Collection. I don't know who he is. Possible that he would have purchased the book from Chuck prior to the public sale? Or I suppose he could have purchased it from whoever bought it from Chuck. But ... odd that the buyer, whoever he was, would not have picked up the TAR 1 at the same time. Chuck graded it as NM+ and was only asking $7.00 for it in the catalog.

GPA has a listing for a CGC 6.5 Church TAR 3 having sold for $265 in July 2009 (perhaps this was the ComicConnect sale). Was there a list (other than Chuck's catalog) against which CGC would have checked the book to validate the Church attribution?

They are pictured on the comic book pedigrees site as Mile Highs. (shrug) What the heck...add them to the list... :acclaim:

http://www.comicbookpedigrees.com/gallery.php?title_menu=1827

Interesting that the copy of TAR 3 shown is raw, even though by the time of the upload (2011) the book had been slabbed for at least a couple of years. Of course, it might have been cracked out or someone could have uploaded a scan of the book as it was pre-slabbing.

They are pictured on the comic book pedigrees site as Mile Highs. (shrug) What the heck...add them to the list... :acclaim:

Interesting that the copy of TAR 3 shown is raw, even though by the time of the upload (2011) the book had been slabbed for at least a couple of years. Of course, it might have been cracked out or someone could have uploaded a scan of the book as it was pre-slabbing.

That's right... in 2009, when sold through CC, the TR 2 and 3 had both been slabbed; 8.0 and 6.5 respectively, and each sold for less than $300.

That's right... in 2009, when sold through CC, the TR 2 and 3 had both been slabbed; 8.0 and 6.5 respectively, and each sold for less than $300.

Right again! I took another look at the HA archives and the TAR 3 sold raw (grade of VF/NM) for $1,135.25 in the same auction as the TAR 2. (I don't see a record of the sale of a 8.0 Church copy of TAR 2 on GPA.)

So the books turned out to be significantly overgraded and the winner took a bath when reselling them.

Perhaps in grading the books, CGC took Heritage's word for the Church attribution and Heritage took McLaughlin's word for it. Not to say, of course, that they might not actually be Church copies, but I think this is an indication of the complexity of the task rob_react has set himself.

So...are you going to add them to your list? I say do it. They are documented as such from several sources. You know I have at least 1 Okajima book that isn't on a list, but has Identifying marks on it, and a Rockford that wasn't bought by World's Finest...so who knows whether these are MHs or not, but as long as there are 3 sources that say so we should put them on your list. Majority rules... lol