• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

How much?

.....if he were to tell you, you would go and lay down in front of a train :baiting: GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... I seem to remember someone else saying this also..... but for the first few weeks you posted, I thought your handle was tricolorBRAIN...... and I still picture Weird Mysteries 5 when I see your posts :insane:

I'm coming to your house and shaving off that beard of yours...maybe i should change my handle to tricolorBri-an...

..... a shave :cloud9: ..... I had one of those once.... and I kept getting carded for cigarettes...... GOD BLESS...

How much?

.....if he were to tell you, you would go and lay down in front of a train :baiting: GOD BLESS.....

in

$167.

(I'm testing jimbo's theory...)

Despite the condition issues, that was a bargain.

TAR 45 - his last romance cover, and one of his best for sure. Maybe even his last work for St. John. To my eye, still evolving as an artist - this book and Going Steady 14 were different for him. Something else was emerging.

Really really hard to come by. I've never owned a copy. Joanna does, if I'm not mistaken, and I seem to remember in somewhat better shape than the Duke's. At this point I wouldn't pass on any copy that came up.

Baker was only 34 years old when he drew this cover. How very young he was when he passed away.

TAR 45 - his last romance cover, and one of his best for sure. Maybe even his last work for St. John. To my eye, still evolving as an artist - this book and Going Steady 14 were different for him. Something else was emerging.

Really really hard to come by. I've never owned a copy. Joanna does, if I'm not mistaken, and I seem to remember in somewhat better shape than the Duke's. At this point I wouldn't pass on any copy that came up.

Baker was only 34 years old when he drew this cover. How very young he was when he passed away.

Absolutely. Those covers are less like his typical comic book work, and more like the illustrative style of the magazine work he produced in 1956 and '57. I love to imagine where this direction would've taken him, had he been able to follow it for another ten years.

Nugget_1_zps5f4218bc.jpg

Absolutely. Those covers are less like his typical comic book work, and more like the illustrative style of the magazine work he produced in 1956 and '57. I love to imagine where this direction would've taken him, had he been able to follow it for another ten years.

Nugget_1_zps5f4218bc.jpg

Speaking as the "has-been" of the romance collectors guild, I've owned two copies of TR #45 in the distant past, but I've never seen a really decent copy. Mine were both around good and looked about the same as Rik's copy.

I hadn't realized Baker was only 35 when he did that one, Andy! Sad to think what we lost, though it may be heretical to say this, I wonder if his later work was somewhat stifled by the Comics Code?

That Swamp Fever illo is terrific - I've not seen that one before.

The Swamp Fever illo is from the first issue of Nugget, published by Archer St. John, Nov. 1955.

The same issue features another great Baker illo for a short text called "Starskin Saga". It depicts a collage of nude and semi nude women around the boarders of the text. I've never scanned it from my own copy for fear of damaging the squarebound spine.

Does anyone happen to have a scan of the "Starskin Saga" illo from Nugget #1?

I picked up this beat up copy of CL #25 on ebay a while ago to hold me over until I find a nicer one (at which point I'll become a hoarder).

Not being able to read the "whole" comic is bugging me though. It would be much appreciated if someone could post a scan of the panel I'm missing from page #20.

CinderellaLove25_zps077acfc9.jpg

CinderellaLove25rippedpage20_zpse2bf9c8d.jpg

:D Thanks a lot dukedog and it's a funny one too.

GCD doesn't list it as a reprint (of CL #6) so I thought the DCM option was finished when I saw they didn't have the #25.

Learning more every day. :whee:

Probably explains why somebody clipped it out in the first place.

The Swamp Fever illo is from the first issue of Nugget, published by Archer St. John, Nov. 1955.

The same issue features another great Baker illo for a short text called "Starskin Saga". It depicts a collage of nude and semi nude women around the boarders of the text. I've never scanned it from my own copy for fear of damaging the squarebound spine.

Does anyone happen to have a scan of the "Starskin Saga" illo from Nugget #1?

I believe that illo is on page 61 of The Art of Glamour.

:D Thanks a lot dukedog and it's a funny one too.

GCD doesn't list it as a reprint (of CL #6) so I thought the DCM option was finished when I saw they didn't have the #25.

Learning more every day. :whee:

Probably explains why somebody clipped it out in the first place.

There's $20 just waiting for the person that finds this torn out panel being held up by a magnet on their grandparents refrigerator.