• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,350 posts in this topic

And finding the "right" copies is even more difficult

So far, since the beginning of this year, there have been 39 St. John romance books slabbed. The average grade on these books is 4.16. However, of the 39, only one was a 9.0 and two were 7.0's. If we take these out of the mix, that leaves 36 books with an average grade of 3.87.

The common hypothesis is that a rapidly escalating market flushes out books. If so, what kind? It could be that they are predominately undercopies, to give eager collectors a chance to own Bakers at more affordable entry points. Which could drive high grade Bakers up even faster.

Here's the recent 9.0. Happy about the grade, although I sure wish that shadow along the edge wasn't there. But can't get too picky about such a tough book. :D

1c8025db-a296-4c1d-9c0c-bc92f5c00ffe_zpstprx8wia.jpg

You are KILLING this Thread! Killing! (worship)

A bit disappointed in this one. A really pretty book. I thought it had a shot at a 9.0. (Apparently, you should never trust my grading of raw books!) CGC seems to be taking a harder line with the cover staining that St John's were often prone to. That's the only real defect other than a bit of wear at the bottom of the spine.

Edited to add: Actually, on closer inspection, there is probably too much spine wear for a 9.0 grade (although an 8.0 would have been reasonable). You definitely shouldn't trust my grading of raw books. :D

edcec308-a36b-48f5-bbe6-923c10d1cf38_zpsrys0vmgx.jpg

Great copy. I used to own the Mile High copy of this book, which had similar cover staining.

A bit disappointed in this one. A really pretty book. I thought it had a shot at a 9.0. (Apparently, you should never trust my grading of raw books!) CGC seems to be taking a harder line with the cover staining that St John's were often prone to. That's the only real defect other than a bit of wear at the bottom of the spine.

Edited to add: Actually, on closer inspection, there is probably too much spine wear for a 9.0 grade (although an 8.0 would have been reasonable). You definitely shouldn't trust my grading of raw books. :D

edcec308-a36b-48f5-bbe6-923c10d1cf38_zpsrys0vmgx.jpg

Great copy. I used to own the Mile High copy of this book, which had similar cover staining.

AuthPolice9.jpg

And finding the "right" copies is even more difficult

So far, since the beginning of this year, there have been 39 St. John romance books slabbed. The average grade on these books is 4.16. However, of the 39, only one was a 9.0 and two were 7.0's. If we take these out of the mix, that leaves 36 books with an average grade of 3.87.

The common hypothesis is that a rapidly escalating market flushes out books. If so, what kind? It could be that they are predominately undercopies, to give eager collectors a chance to own Bakers at more affordable entry points. Which could drive high grade Bakers up even faster.

Here's the recent 9.0. Happy about the grade, although I sure wish that shadow along the edge wasn't there. But can't get too picky about such a tough book. :D

1c8025db-a296-4c1d-9c0c-bc92f5c00ffe_zpstprx8wia.jpg

Gorgeous. Was that the former 7.0? There's a story there.

Yes. I originally bought this one off Metro a few years ago. Got a significant discount (more, as I recall, than the reholdering charge would be) because the case had a bad crack! When Mike pressed and submitted this for me I don't think he sent in the label, so the census is now a bit off.

Not a St John romance, but just back from Sarasota. Thought this one would be a 5.0. hm

a02185d3-e29b-4e95-b80e-b065a73bee23_zps0arss7cs.jpg

Beautiful copy - out of curiosity, what did the grader notes say?

Mike at Hero's submitted it for me under his name so I don't have the grader notes handy. The back cover has some marks, which bring down the grade, but I was surprised at how far it came down. Still seems more like a 5.0 to me. hm

Not a St John romance, but just back from Sarasota. Thought this one would be a 5.0. hm

a02185d3-e29b-4e95-b80e-b065a73bee23_zps0arss7cs.jpg

Beautiful copy - out of curiosity, what did the grader notes say?

Mike at Hero's submitted it for me under his name so I don't have the grader notes handy. The back cover has some marks, which bring down the grade, but I was surprised at how far it came down. Still seems more like a 5.0 to me. hm

As some would say, buy the book, not the grade. Definitely an extremely desirable 4.0 and should have 5.0 value.

We don't know exactly what the book sold for, but if it was even close to the asking price, the seller did very well indeed.

We don't know exactly what the book sold for, but if it was even close to the asking price, the seller did very well indeed.

watchcount.com shows it sold for $650.

Puzzling that he accepted such a large discount after only two days. hm

Not the same book.The one that just sold pales in comparison.

Edited by Mxwll Smrt

Are you sure? I entered the item number from the eBay auction into Watchcount.com. Seems to be the same book, but maybe I messed something up?

Are you sure? I entered the item number from the eBay auction into Watchcount.com. Seems to be the same book, but maybe I messed something up?

The other book can be found here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scarce-1954-Cinderella-Love-No-25-Comic-Book-Matt-Baker-Cover-/322024980665?hash=item4afa2f40b9:g:T7IAAOSwPc9W1kws

The other book can be found here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scarce-1954-Cinderella-Love-No-25-Comic-Book-Matt-Baker-Cover-/322024980665?hash=item4afa2f40b9:g:T7IAAOSwPc9W1kws

Go to Watchcount.com and enter this item number: 252320557119

The result seems to be showing the CL 25 with the damaged lower right corner that was listed as a $1,699.99 BIN by martin1928 actually sold for $650.

Edited by Sqeggs