• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,378 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2017 at 1:55 PM, Sqeggs said:

Not me.  My copy is raw.

s-l1600_zps8acqgtbm.jpg

Do you think that one would match the 2.5?  From what I see it looks about 1.8 (but a five star appearance).  I'll probably send my copy on my next submission (they'll need to finish with the others currently in FL).  Mine should grade 1.0, but I have gotten a qualified 0.5 before....  I'd really like to see that 2.5!!!

4 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Do you think that one would match the 2.5?  From what I see it looks about 1.8 (but a five star appearance).  I'll probably send my copy on my next submission (they'll need to finish with the others currently in FL).  Mine should grade 1.0, but I have gotten a qualified 0.5 before....  I'd really like to see that 2.5!!!

I think it could come back a 2.5.  A grade of 1.8 seems low to me.

4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I think it could come back a 2.5.  A grade of 1.8 seems low to me.

That bottom staple hasn't popped?  The top staple looks like it's pulling...  Is that a tear at the top of the fold?  Eraser under the "s" of Romances?

Don't get me wrong - it's the best copy I've EVER seen (so-far).  I would LOVE to trade you for my copy!  :)

7 minutes ago, Yorick said:

That bottom staple hasn't popped?  The top staple looks like it's pulling...  Is that a tear at the top of the fold?  Eraser under the "s" of Romances?

Don't get me wrong - it's the best copy I've EVER seen (so-far).  I would LOVE to trade you for my copy!  :)

There's a tear at the bottom staple, but my recollection is that it's not popped. No tear at the long diagonal fold that I can remember either.  I can't see this book coming back as a 1.8, but ... I just looked through my invoices and it turns out that I submitted it back in July, so we should soon know!  By "soon," I mean before Christmas (maybe). :)

9 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I will trade either one of you in a heartbeat :baiting:

It is my favorite Baker behind PL 18. I have been begging every person I talked to in order to get one for the last few years and for an upgrade for since I got this one (shrug)

fc.jpg

Be interesting to know what the total circulation of this issue was.  Wouldn't surprise me if it was fewer than 10,000 copies.  You never know, though, when a high-grade copy might materialize out of the ozone. 

10 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Finally got around to scanning this one.  Bought raw from the physician of romance.  It was my first Baker. :cloud9:

2017-09-13-0001_zpsm7wr0qi6.jpg

Nice.

If only there was an upgrade available...:whistle:

18 minutes ago, szavisca said:

No it's not the Church Seven Seas 6...but it is more Baker non-romance from me...obtained thanks to a boardie...was really hard for me to ever find a copy so pretty thrilled to get what is by far my favorite Baker St. John book.

apc6.jpg

I also really love this cover.  Seems like it was totally ignored for a long time but now getting pretty tough to find in any grade.  although not romance, I put it in his top 10 covers.  Congrats on the great pick-up!

Anyone notice the Giant Comics Edition 15 in 5.0 (Crippen) sold on the CLink tonight for $4150.00?

11 years ago the John Mclaughlin copy sold on Ha for over $1400.00 in raw 6.0. It was graded as 5.5 (still highest graded) and promptly resold for $717.00. Those days are over.

27 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Anyone notice the Giant Comics Edition 15 in 5.0 (Crippen) sold on the CLink tonight for $4150.00?

Yes.  Previously offered by a great seller of comics at discount prices. B|

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/417648-closed-gasa-high-grade-and-pedigrees/?do=findComment&comment=9820222