• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,400 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2024 at 3:50 PM, Darwination said:

He's got the credit and the dudes definitely look Baker.  I was wondering if I'd seen many Baker girls shedding a tear but quickly found other examples.

Quality Publications romance titles like Heart Throbs had a thing about featuring teary-eyed girls on the cover. Matt Baker rarely used tears to make a point, especially during his St. John run.

Baker drew an expression on the girl's face on Heart Throbs 46 that didn't require a teardrop to convey the necessary emotion. Perhaps the editor asked the inker to add one.

Yeah, I must have read something about not favoring crying women in the Fantagraphics book on the St. John romances (or maybe somewhere else) to give me the notion Baker girls never cried.  I did find at least a few St. John Baker girls who are shedding (little) tears very quickly, though.

Speaking of the inking, there are so many thick lines on these Quality covers.  And the lettering is so thick, too.  Really gives their covers a different look. 

Good romance comics, but adding a big tear goes along with my impression of too much melodrama.

On 2/27/2024 at 10:06 AM, Qua-Brot said:

This is Treasure Magazine (not sure how it's pronounced in Greek) from Oct. 1947. The same that Matt Baker used for swipes - not this particular issue as far as I know. And ironically the cover image is from Aglug. 1947 Colliers magazine (not sure if a swipe or sold in 2 different markets?)

Anyway, I thought if anyone would appreciate it Bakers fans would . . .

20240227_104339.jpg

It just keeps getting recycled :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305356632663