• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

I was just about to say the same thing if anybody saw this book on ebay it looks to good to be true and i garauntee it most def is, there is more than 50 people bidding on it he does have a couple other really nice books but they could be resto too

Yeah, figuring it's gotta have some kind of resto work on it, since there was a non-reply. Don't get why they're not disclosing it. I'm only going for CGC keys, and this is the HOLIEST of GRAILS! :luhv:

Doesn't anybody read the threads around here that just might affect them the most??!!

Read the whole thing but this book is commented on on the last page 21...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3441593&fpart=1

Boy, I just found this thread and am in love.....I'm on about page 20, I'll catch up. Can I join with my copy that's included with the Marvel Legends Spider-Man figure? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

One day i'll be in this club but you guys will be 2000 pages deep by then.... (thumbs u

Yeah, figuring it's gotta have some kind of resto work on it, since there was a non-reply. Don't get why they're not disclosing it. I'm only going for CGC keys, and this is the HOLIEST of GRAILS! :luhv:

Doesn't anybody read the threads around here that just might affect them the most??!!

Read the whole thing but this book is commented on on the last page 21...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3441593&fpart=1

I have been watching this guys listings for a while now...buyer beware for sure.

I have two questions regarding the past two topics brought up. The first regarding un-slabbed AF #15's on eBay.

What comes to mind to me is that if you are wanting to sell a book like that through a venue like eBay, why would you not get it slabbed? It might cost you $100-$300 in the grades we're talking about but wouldn't the return more than make up for the cost of getting it graded?

I think that CGC should make it a little more apparent that you can submit books directly because although that option is available (with a 10% discount if you use the right link), they don't make it painfully obvious on their website which is something that pushed me away during times what I should have taken the time to do better research. But think of those who don't use the boards.

But the truth is (myself included) that when you're dealing with a book like AF #15, you should really do the research and know what your options are. I'm assuming that most eBay sellers are aware both of the options and costs regarding the CGC submission process.

Which begs the questions as to why we see these raw copies?

It's certainly possible that some sellers are lazy but I do think that there are far too many instances of restored books being sold raw either as "unrestored" or without restoration being mentioned. That to me is unacceptable given the obvious difference in value regarding restored and unrestored books. It's one thing if there is someone outside the hobby who acquires a key book and sells it without knowing about restoration; it's another to see a specific dealer continue to push book after book that could have such issues.

Buyers beware I suppose; you guys have given some good tips on how to avoid such issues.

The next subject I wanted to touch on was high-grade CGC copies of AF #15. Obviously they are much rarer and command a greater asking price; rightfully so. But in instances where someone is to spend six-figures on a high-grade copy, how concerned are they with the deterioration of the book?

Take the 9.0 for instance. How easy would it be to have the book slightly damaged within the slab, store it in a bad area with humidity issues, etc. Suddenly your 9.0 could easily drop to an 8.5 or an 8.0 and the value would drop significantly. We all know that we can only do so much to preserve the condition of these key books but given the paper-stock used on this book specifically as well as a number of other factors, I know that I personally would have a difficult time enjoying the book and being able to hold it on any regular basis provided I had even the slightest interest in selling it down the line.

I suppose this is true for all high-grade books but when it comes to key issues like AF #15, I know I'd be more concerned. With all of the people trying to flip AF #15's, you'd figure that there would be some level of concern. I wouldn't know personally as I'll never have six-figures to drop on a copy myself, but I'd like to hear from those who might be willing or able to do so.

What differential do you guys estimate there to be between the final sale prices of these raw eBay AF #15's and ones that can be found at some of the more prominent comic cons?

The reason I'm asking is, why not go to conventions and buy raw copies off of reputable dealers if the final price ends up to be similar anyway?

I would imagine they would have to be selling for less on eBay for people not to try this alternative, right?

Take the 9.0 for instance. How easy would it be to have the book slightly damaged within the slab, store it in a bad area with humidity issues, etc. Suddenly your 9.0 could easily drop to an 8.5 or an 8.0 and the value would drop significantly. We all know that we can only do so much to preserve the condition of these key books but given the paper-stock used on this book specifically as well as a number of other factors, I know that I personally would have a difficult time enjoying the book and being able to hold it on any regular basis provided I had even the slightest interest in selling it down the line.

I've never had any of the problems you're alluding to. This sounds not ENTIRELY like an unfounded concern...by mostly like one. Be careful with it, put it in a safety deposit box, and you should be fine.