• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

there are times I way overpay for a book...but generally, it is for a rare book that I typically won't have another opp to purchase... AF15's are readily available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year... there is always supply, so patience is the key

there are times I way overpay for a book...but generally, it is for a rare book that I typically won't have another opp to purchase... AF15's are readily available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year... there is always supply, so patience is the key

Let's see... Action 1,7,10,13. Tec 27, 31. I believe Action 13 is the book that is way under rated. Action 13 is seldom offered and should command xxx. What do you think? hm

I would like to thank Gator for telling me to be more patient when it came to buying an AF 15. I almost bought one I believe early 2009 when prices were still quite high.

There are more copies to choose from now. Here's your chance Dark Knight. :wishluck:

The problem is there are too many books that are on my radar right now at auction at the same time :pullhair: I gotta choose one or if Im lucky two.. Knowing that there will always be an AF 15 up for sale may sway my decision to wait longer.. But I dunno. I cant decide :cry:

Let's see... Action 1,7,10,13. Tec 27, 31. I believe Action 13 is the book that is way under rated. Action 13 is seldom offered and should command xxx. What do you think? hm

I think all the books you mentioned will command high premiums regardless of their grades. All are barely up for sale and have great covers.. Wish I had any of those books.

I would like to thank Gator for telling me to be more patient when it came to buying an AF 15. I almost bought one I believe early 2009 when prices were still quite high.

There are more copies to choose from now. Here's your chance Dark Knight. :wishluck:

The problem is there are too many books that are on my radar right now at auction at the same time :pullhair: I gotta choose one or if Im lucky two.. Knowing that there will always be an AF 15 up for sale may sway my decision to wait longer.. But I dunno. I cant decide :cry:

Hope your SC22 goes well...and you'll have more funds to add to an AF15 later.

Hope your SC22 goes well...and you'll have more funds to add to an AF15 later.

Thanks! (thumbs u I guess we'll see what happens when these auction wind down to their final seconds of bidding... My decision changes on a daily basis :insane:

Glad I stumbled onto this thread. I've been itching to join this club for a long time; but I'm still kind of unsure how to deal with slightly restored books. I see a lot CGC ASM #15's that only have minor restoration like trimming on the top and right side of the cover. They present very well, but I have absolutely no feel for the restored market value wise. On one hand, they are very tempting to me because they look good (albeit with the dreaded purple label), and have a discounted price. However, they have the stigma of restoration.

I don't know if this was discussed earlier in the thread and if so, I apologize, but in today's current market conditions, what does everyone think is a fair discount off the unrestored price? Say there is a CGC 6.0 restored with only trimming and minor color touch, for example. Would it be about the same value wise as a 4.0 unrestored? I realize presentation is very important and there are some 4.0's that look like 6.0's and vice versa, but just in a general sense, what does everyone think?

And if the prices were roughly the same, which one would be the better investment? My personal preference would be to go for the nicer looking restored copy if and only if the restoration consisted of trimming and light color touch. I would just be a little afraid though that in the future, books with even slight restoration would be hammered on their resale value when compared to lower grade unrestored books (in this example, an unrestored 4.0 vs a restored 6.0).

Comments? ^.^

I don't really mind restored books, even though I don't collect them, but I would stay away from trimming... Trimming really is the devil's work.

Colour touch, glue, reinforcement, rice paper, bleaching and de-acidifying can all help to "save" a book... but not trimming.

If you are looking for a restored book, but don't like the stigma of the label, why don't you just crack it out and keep it in mylar ?

Glad I stumbled onto this thread. I've been itching to join this club for a long time; but I'm still kind of unsure how to deal with slightly restored books. I see a lot CGC ASM #15's that only have minor restoration like trimming on the top and right side of the cover. They present very well, but I have absolutely no feel for the restored market value wise. On one hand, they are very tempting to me because they look good (albeit with the dreaded purple label), and have a discounted price. However, they have the stigma of restoration.

I don't know if this was discussed earlier in the thread and if so, I apologize, but in today's current market conditions, what does everyone think is a fair discount off the unrestored price? Say there is a CGC 6.0 restored with only trimming and minor color touch, for example. Would it be about the same value wise as a 4.0 unrestored? I realize presentation is very important and there are some 4.0's that look like 6.0's and vice versa, but just in a general sense, what does everyone think?

And if the prices were roughly the same, which one would be the better investment? My personal preference would be to go for the nicer looking restored copy if and only if the restoration consisted of trimming and light color touch. I would just be a little afraid though that in the future, books with even slight restoration would be hammered on their resale value when compared to lower grade unrestored books (in this example, an unrestored 4.0 vs a restored 6.0).

Comments? ^.^

An unrestored 4.0 is much better buy than a restored 6.0. Its pretty easy to resell a 4.0 if you price it at FMV

This is the one Silver Age book that I have never ever owned :blush:

Just came back a 3.5 OW from a re-sub at CGC.

I haven't had time to scan the new slab, but I couldn't wait to claim my spot as a member :whee:

AF15FCa.jpg

I would be surprise to see it at $200k. I think $170k is within reach though but we will have to wait and see. I think the price won't move up much between now and the last day and then it will be a flurry of bids in the last 5 minutes.

I can't imagine buying an AF15 unslabbed off of Ebay. Something like a third of the books submitted to the CGC are PLODs. What are the odds that a raw book off of Ebay is actually unrestored?

I'd guess 50/50 at best, unless you know the seller and trust them implicitly.

I'm a big fan of buying most books raw, but this is the situation the CGC was invented for.

Anybody else see the "VG/F 4.5/5.0" AF15 on the bay? It's non-slabbed and fetching close to 3k. I asked the seller questions about the book two days ago and got ZERO response. What y'all think?

I haven't had time to scan the new slab, but I couldn't wait to claim my spot as a member :whee:

AF15FCa.jpg

AF15FCa.jpg

That's the best 3.0/3.5 book I've seen. The red colors are very bright and sharp