• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

For issues 26 and 27, I have some with the upc and some with the black spidey head on the cover. I know for issue 21, the black spidey is the 3rd print. I don't see anything in the indica on them and wanted to double check. What printing's are those?

First Prints :)

I picked up 26, 27 and 150 (18,18,25 bucks)

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I had em right

I am waiting till after the movie hype to I start finishing my set and even then will only want 9.0-9.4 range.

I hadn't even noticed there has been any movie hype? (shrug)

Seriously, prices have been plummeting on many Joe books....too much oversupply at the moment, and not enough buyers. Two big culprits for that are the 1). the Economy and 2). Paramount not yet releasing a full length trailer for the Joe flick. I mean, c'mon...many Summer blockbusters have a teaser trailer out 6 months to a year beforehand...yet, here we are just four months away from The Rise of Cobra and nothing but a 15-second clip from the Superbowl to go on.

I think the rumors about how terrible its going to be might just be true....

I am waiting till after the movie hype to I start finishing my set and even then will only want 9.0-9.4 range.

Seriously, prices have been plummeting on many Joe books....too much oversupply at the moment, and not enough buyers. Two big culprits for that are the 1). the Economy and 2). Paramount not yet releasing a full length trailer for the Joe flick. I mean, c'mon...many Summer blockbusters have a teaser trailer out 6 months to a year beforehand...yet, here we are just four months away from The Rise of Cobra and nothing but a 15-second clip from the Superbowl to go on.

Where do you get the idea that the prices are plummeting? All th key Joe Books are selling more then double last years price, a quick look at ebay completed auctions will shed light on that fact. Maybe the non key books are not so much, but # 1, 21, 26, 27, 145-155 are all hot books

Where do you get the idea that the prices are plummeting? All th key Joe Books are selling more then double last years price, a quick look at ebay completed auctions will shed light on that fact. Maybe the non key books are not so much, but # 1, 21, 26, 27, 145-155 are all hot books

Yeah I have seen 21 with the most significant rise along with 155. Gpa was listed earlier on a 9.6 #21 at $300 and even on our own boards a peson was trying to sell at $350. On ebay people are swooping in and taking all the #21 first editions and the sellers seem to be doing well on these sales. I have been watching the last two months and have yet to see one that I could bid on at my price.

As to the movie I am already disappointed but I will still go see it. The outfits and characters are not what they should be from some of the pics I have seen. I will also be most likely skipping the Rise Of Cobra figures for Storm Shadow since I don't like the look of them. Why Storm Shadow is wearing a retro collar trenchcoat with combat boots is beyond me.

BTW: look at carcrawfordfan auction for 8 of the 21's. They where sold out seconds after he posted them. I didnt even have a chance to get one since went to bed let alone people where snagging up 3 of them most likely to grade and resell. He had good prices though at least. I would have easily paid $60 for a 9.2-9.4.

The fact that I buy and sell $1k-$3k worth of certified Joes a month qualifies my statement, and yes, prices have been falling since last summer.

And I would invite you to do more then search ebay completed auctions before impuning my statement....look at GPA prices from different venues...most books are trending down, and trending down pretty hard.

And not even key books are immune:

G.I.Joe # 2 in CGC 9.8 (recent sale for $227 way below the average price of $517 from 2008).

G.I.Joe # 26 in CGC 9.8 (recent sale of $287 way below the average price of $580+ from 2008).

I also picked up a #25 (first Zartan) and # 27 (Snake Eyes Origin), both in 9.8, for less then $90 each last week, when both generally sell for much more.

The fact is: there is a strong supply of books out there, but not enough buyers and prices have been hurt as a consequence. Until some actual movie hype starts to build, prices will continue to remain tepid....

Hey guys,

I don't want to appear to be spamming; that is not my intention. I have Zero knowledge What asking price would be good on raw 9.6/9.8 Joe commons #50+.

Any help is appreciated.

-Connor

The fact that I buy and sell $1k-$3k worth of certified Joes a month qualifies my statement, and yes, prices have been falling since last summer.

And I would invite you to do more then search ebay completed auctions before impuning my statement....look at GPA prices from different venues...most books are trending down, and trending down pretty hard.

G.I.Joe # 2 in CGC 9.8 (recent sale for $227 way below the average price of $517 from 2008).

G.I.Joe # 26 in CGC 9.8 (recent sale of $287 way below the average price of $580+ from 2008).

I also picked up a #25 (first Zartan) and # 27 (Snake Eyes Origin), both in 9.8, for less then $90 each last week, when both generally sell for much more.

The fact is: there is a strong supply of books out there, but not enough buyers and prices have been hurt as a consequence. Until some actual movie hype starts to build, prices will continue to remain tepid....

Only problem is you are stating all your data off one market which is the CGC 9.8 graded material. You have all the other grades and then raw books to also look at.

Only problem is you are stating all your data off one market which is the CGC 9.8 graded material. You have all the other grades and then raw books to also look at.

While certified 9.8s don't define the health of any particular title, they are often the books that experience the largest percentage price increase for titles that should be benefitting from "movie hype". So, if we're seeing 50% YoY drops in desirable key certified 9.8s just months before a movie is set to debut, I think its safe to say there is very little hype at all, which was the point of my original post.

Personally, as far as the 9.8 market is concerned, I think an actual full length trailer that kicks some serious butt will do wonders for public interest.

There are a number of folks out there buying raw copies and trying to complete runs before the movie hits, and my sales to them have been decent, though not spectacular. I've just been amazed at how moribund the certified market for Joes has become lately, at a time when they should be selling for all time highs.

While certified 9.8s don't define the health of any particular title, they are often the books that experience the largest percentage price increase for titles that should be benefitting from "movie hype". So, if we're seeing 50% YoY drops in desirable key certified 9.8s just months before a movie is set to debut, I think its safe to say there is very little hype at all, which was the point of my original post.

Personally, as far as the 9.8 market is concerned, I think an actual full length trailer that kicks some serious butt will do wonders for public interest.

There are a number of folks out there buying raw copies and trying to complete runs before the movie hits, and my sales to them have been decent, though not spectacular. I've just been amazed at how moribund the certified market for Joes has become lately, at a time when they should be selling for all time highs.

I 100% agree with this statement. Even 21s are down a bit from earlier in the year. It seems the public isn't very hyped up. I am one of the hugest Joe fans ever and I am fairly certain the movie is going to suck I like popcorn movies and really like Tranformers last year, but this seems really bad. I think it is pretty hard to get the Joe movie to be plausible on the big screen. Anyways I have 1000s of Joe books and am waiting to move a majority of them. The downturn in the market is pretty unexpected.

I 100% agree with this statement. Even 21s are down a bit from earlier in the year. It seems the public isn't very hyped up. I am one of the hugest Joe fans ever and I am fairly certain the movie is going to suck I like popcorn movies and really like Tranformers last year, but this seems really bad. I think it is pretty hard to get the Joe movie to be plausible on the big screen. Anyways I have 1000s of Joe books and am waiting to move a majority of them. The downturn in the market is pretty unexpected.

Yep. I think that sellers of Joes were hoping to cash in on the movie hype and so the supply of high grade 9.6s/9.8s on the market is in line with those of titles past during the run-up to a movie release. In other words, sellers are doing their part in providing quality material to the market. Its the surprising absence of buyers which is completely thrown the buying/selling equilibrium out of whack.

Normally, by this point in the movie hype cycle, buyers would be in heavy competition with one another to scoop up 9.8s as fast as they hit ebay, and paying increasingly crazy prices to do it. That just isn't happening....in fact, its the exact opposite...prices continue to drop month after month on the books I've been tracking.

What's funniest about all this is that the Joe movie is being based primarily off the storylines in the comic books, and not the animated series. In essence, the comics themselves are the source material, moreso then, say, the Transformers franchise, so you would expect them to be doing well, but its just not happening. To look at GPA and see that prices were stronger for some books before there was even a movie announcement is really telling in my opinion.

Nevertheless, its a title I've collected off and on since I was buying them off the shelves in the 80s. I'm disappointed with what has happened to the Joe market as a whole, but I will continue to work towards my goal of a certified 9.6/9.8 run and look at the current market as an opportunity to buy quality books for prices I didn't envision being able to a year ago.

Well I find it odd then that every where I look GI Joe books are already sold off or people want higher prices then usual. Especially on 21 and 155 where they want at least double guide for them. Even carcrafordfan was selling double guide on his 21's. When I see books getting double guide and selling fast there must be some kind of demand. I was fortunate to get some of the higher numbers for $2cdn a piece. I have yet to come across a bargain since the announcement of the movie.

Well I find it odd then that every where I look GI Joe books are already sold off or people want higher prices then usual. Especially on 21 and 155 where they want at least double guide for them. Even carcrafordfan was selling double guide on his 21's. When I see books getting double guide and selling fast there must be some kind of demand. I was fortunate to get some of the higher numbers for $2cdn a piece. I have yet to come across a bargain since the announcement of the movie.

I'm talking about the title as a whole, not just # 21 and # 155 which are far and away the two most popular books in the run. Both of those books have been selling well for years now, at multiples of Guide. And BTW, Guide has been off on the keys of the Joe run for years, and things haven't really changed with the new Overstreet, so I'm not sure how much stock I would put in "double Guide selling prices" when those prices have consistently reflected FMV for a couple of years now.

As for bargains, they are out there...just gotta know where to look.

And if you have a want list, I'm sure Matt (carcrawfordfan) or myself would be happy to sell you all the raw books you want at reasonable prices.