• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

Well..... 3 weeks till the Joe movie opens. I know most die hard fans are (and others) aren't overly impressed so far but does anyone anyone think it might be entertaining?

I guess I'm overly hopefully and I'm sure I'll see it.

Here's my rant:

As a fan of GI Joe from the beginning (#1 bought off of the rack, when playing war, everone had a GI Joe codename, when I enlisted in the Marines the bios for Gung Ho and Leatherneck were foremost on my mind) I am not impressed with anything that I've seen so far. The characterizations, action, story, etc. look like they have been altered to appeal to worldwide audiences that have few expectations other than a spectacle.

I had the same misgivings about the first Transformers movie and was pretty widely flamed on these boards, because "it was based on a bunch of toys."

I disagree with any logic that forgives a low quality product, especially one that tramples a product that has high potential and a large fan-base. It always smacks of short-sightedness and lack of respect for the movie-goer (yeah Lucas, I'm looking at you).

I understand that a faithful adaption is usually hard to create on the screen, but in the case of Transformers, taking all of the focus off of the title characters and placing it on human relationships with the robots there just to add a little action seems to completely miss the point. And I will never understand the people who say "I enjoyed it because it was funny" - go see one of the million summer comedies if you want to laugh. A dozen , ebay and j%$*-off jokes don't make up for a lack of quality dialogue and character development (yes they can exist in a popcorn movie - please see T2 and Iron Man for proof)

Oh well, the couple of you out there that agree with me can do what I did for Transformers. Buy a ticket for a more deserving movie and see GI Joe (if you like it go back and buy a ticket for it and see it with someone who would not have gone to see it otherwise - not something that I had to do with TF since it was a piece of c&@p).

Finally picked up a copy of GI JOE #21 :) I would say 8.5 -9.0 so happy with that.

Storm Shadow Rules!!!!

It is the coolest (Canadian Varient even!) And probably paid less than that $1000 for a 9.8!

Hmm I didnt even notice it was Canadian variant. Is there a big price difference between the two? I notice that the barcode is the same though between the USA and Canadian one.

And it cost me $25cdn

:)

My graded collection isn't that all that great, but it's on the way up. I have a few raw sets of the Marvel series. Some copies that have been read MANY times in there too!

I think that the Snake Eyes Trilogy you have there is a highly underrated story arc. The whole Marvel GI Joe series doesn't get a lot of credit for how good a lot of the stories told in it were. Hama did a really good job for having to constantly fit in new toys and characters.

My graded collection isn't that all that great, but it's on the way up. I have a few raw sets of the Marvel series. Some copies that have been read MANY times in there too!

I think that the Snake Eyes Trilogy you have there is a highly underrated story arc. The whole Marvel GI Joe series doesn't get a lot of credit for how good a lot of the stories told in it were. Hama did a really good job for having to constantly fit in new toys and characters.

I agree. GI JOE was very well told and went into depth on many of their characters.

I agree too. I don't know of many titles during that time that had to fit in the needs of editorial as well as a toy company and still come through with some solid stories. I always really liked the Snake Eyes trilogy, which I heard was going to be a graphic novel, but they morphed it into the regular series.

Finally picked up a copy of GI JOE #21 :) I would say 8.5 -9.0 so happy with that.

Storm Shadow Rules!!!!

It is the coolest (Canadian Varient even!) And probably paid less than that $1000 for a 9.8!

Hmm I didnt even notice it was Canadian variant. Is there a big price difference between the two? I notice that the barcode is the same though between the USA and Canadian one.

And it cost me $25cdn

Yeah the only difference is the .75 cent price - the US version had a .60 price... (I believe even the 2nd and 3rd print had .60 price tag but I could be mistaken on that)

Storm Shadow Rules!!!!

And it cost me $25cdn

The CAN version is much harder to find in grade. It also fetches a nice premium. If you think it has a shot at 9.0, I would recommend slabbing it. (thumbs u

Storm Shadow Rules!!!!

And it cost me $25cdn

The CAN version is much harder to find in grade. It also fetches a nice premium. If you think it has a shot at 9.0, I would recommend slabbing it. (thumbs u

Thanks for the info.

This is my only european one. Any one know how many where in the run? Comicvine only shows #1.

15 issues. This was a US book FYI.

Thanks.

There was a Euro version of that too, same cover art only they were titled Action Force - also 15 issues.

This web-site has a multitude of info!!! http://www.yojoe.com/comics/ Including an entire section on the International Joe books (lots more than you might expect).

Edited by abner419