• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wrong printing discovered in Returned PGX Graded Book- Do I have legal options?

430 posts in this topic

:hi: Looks like he Magically dissapeared. I just read all thirty- nine pages of this mess. I have a headache. But I have to agree with some of the posters. If your going to come on these boards, making a vague accusation, wanting advice or whatever, give us all the facts. Not a half baked story leaving out alot of essentials. Your just looking to get jumped on. I'm sure alot of the older members have seen stories like this before, so I assume their patience can wear thin here. Would like to hear a follow up on this though, or hear what PGX had to say.

DRX

I read the story and watched the video. I have to hand it to Magic Dan.

I have only owned a couple of a PGX books and won't be owning any more. I wish that I had videotaped opening a PGX Batman 227 in 7.0. When I opened it, the color touch became obvious...

Is this for real as in the video I don't know how many times he says "1st Printing" like he is building up the audience to see NOT a 1st Printing?

Not trying to be cold, but I was waiting for Bruce Campbell to jump out and yell 'Come with me Danny. We have to fight the Demon Queen." Either that, or the snot-dripping girl screaming "The Blair Witch is coming!"

in the post, he explains that he had several problems with PGX with examples. ie book coming back with a dog ear fold. he learned to scan all books before sending in and he documents everything--even opening a book--to protect himself.

good for him he got a check but i dont think it was enough compensation.

That doesn't make sense. If I am having issues with a business, and repeatedly, wouldn't I go to the next business provider (CGC)?

Not taking his situation lightly, but it was a big win to get PGX to send the check.

That's Magic Dan. I don't understand why there's such hostility toward him? PGX has admitted he sent them a 1st print, and they've admitted they got a 3rd print as well. Why is it so hard to imagine that a mistake was made?

And people document all kinds of stuff these days. Why not film something you're nervous about, on the off chance it might come in handy. It's not like you're wasting video tape or anything.

I just don't see why some people are so sure he's full of it and that PGX just couldn't be wrong in this instance.

Not trying to be cold, but I was waiting for Bruce Campbell to jump out and yell 'Come with me Danny. We have to fight the Demon Queen."

I will freely admit, that would have made for a much better movie. I love Bruce Campbell!

I have a really hard time believing this whole story only because the fact that he kept repeating 1st print over and over, and the fact the book was out of camera several times. Like was said he did not handle the posting and presentation of his case correctly.

The video stunk to high heaven and it was almost certainly staged. My 3 year old could detect the "acting" in that video. We dissected it pretty logically at the NOD board.

The guy pulled one over on PGX and PGX paid him off to end it.

I have a really hard time believing this whole story only because the fact that he kept repeating 1st print over and over, and the fact the book was out of camera several times. Like was said he did not handle the posting and presentation of his case correctly.

The video stunk to high heaven and it was almost certainly staged. My 3 year old could detect the "acting" in that video. We dissected it pretty logically at the NOD board.

I think I recall everyone jumping my case for defending PGX on this?

EatCrow.jpg

EatCrow.jpg

Not me. :angel:

The truth is the truth and fair is fair despite the background of the accused.

EatCrow.jpg

Not me. :angel:

The truth is the truth and fair is fair despite the background of the accused.

I agree. I don't like PGX, but they got boned on this one.

I agree. I don't like PGX, but they got boned on this one.

Yup.

It took 3 years for the guy to notice that his precious grail wasn't his precious grail? It had a giant crease on the back cover... you mean he never noticed that it wasn't the same book he submitted?

meh

It's a safe bet that a guy who tapes himself opening slabs knew every little tick and mark on the "personal grail" he submitted. Yet, he never noticed the giant crease on the back cover of the book he got back. Did the copy he submitted have the same exact giant crease?

meh meh

Here's how PGX screwed up: they mislabeled the 3rd printing he submitted in 2005 as 1st printing.

This guys never says a word because he feels like he hits the lottery when he gets it back and the label says 1st Print.

Fast forward to 2008. It dawns on him that he'll never be able to unload the 3rd print in the 1st print label without incurring some liability himself. What if the buyer cracks it and goes after him?

Next best solution: Tape a video of himself opening the slab. Repeatedly document the time and keep repeating it's a 1st print. Set the stage again and again for it to be a 1st print. Then gasp and moan like an actor in a high school production when it's a 3rd print!

Post video on youtube then go after PGX and accuse them of switching out the book.

I'm the last person in the world that would defend PGX, so take this as you will.

My guess is that you sent a 3rd print in to PGX claiming that it was a 1st print. PGX, being the "experts" that they are, took you at your word and labeled it "1st Print".

You get the book back, and seeing that you fooled them, decide to video tape yourself opening the book, to reveal the 3rd print you knew was in there. Just to be able to pull some puzzy lawsuit scam on them to get them to pony up some money.

That's the only explanation as to why you *video taped* yourself opening the book. You KNEW you were trying to screw them.

I can't believe it, but I'm on PGX's side this time. The only thing they're guilty of is being dumbazzez, and that's nothing new. That's been proven many times before.

2c

That's pretty close to what I came up with, too. (thumbs u

"In 2005, I had to return my Brave and the Bold #28 to PGX because they had encapsulated it with a dog ear fold on it rear cover that hadn’t been there before. PGX assured me that mishandling was a fluke and asked for a picture of the slabbed book and the evidence of mishandling. The re-encapsulated book, my original fees and all my shipping expenses were returned to my a month and a half later."

I don't know, but if something like this happened to me, I would be sure to take copius photos and documentation PRIOR to submission, not just after the fact. For someone so detail oriented, I wonder why this isn't the case. And assuming TMNT was submitted the same time as B&B 28 (hence, no need to be skeptical yet), it would be a simple matter to share examples of such pre-documentation of post 2005 (or thereabouts) to 2008 instances of comics submitted, to dispense of any doubts regarding veracity of said claims.

If I was PGX or even CGC, I would consider taking photos or scanning copies or received comics immediately upon receipt, in order to protect myself. Of course, its understandable that the likelihood of these mistakes may not be so frequent as to be cost effective.

That being said, whether or not the original claim is legit, the onus IMO was upon PGX to make up for it. The reason simply being that it was up to them to verify that the printing was correctly stated in the 1st place.

After all, isn't that the primary purpose of paying a fee to a professional verification expert -- verification?

Had they been diligent in that procedure, they could have simply returned the comic un-slabbed or called the owner to verify a mistake was made on the submission form

(with consent to proceed with correct classification or return at owner's cost).

If they were truly taken, as most seem to assume, then they should consider the experience a good wake up call to tighten quality control.