• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wrong printing discovered in Returned PGX Graded Book- Do I have legal options?

430 posts in this topic

I agree. I don't like PGX, but they got boned on this one.

Yup.

It took 3 years for the guy to notice that his precious grail wasn't his precious grail? It had a giant crease on the back cover... you mean he never noticed that it wasn't the same book he submitted?

meh

It's a safe bet that a guy who tapes himself opening slabs knew every little tick and mark on the "personal grail" he submitted. Yet, he never noticed the giant crease on the back cover of the book he got back. Did the copy he submitted have the same exact giant crease?

meh meh

Here's how PGX screwed up: they mislabeled the 3rd printing he submitted in 2005 as 1st printing.

This guys never says a word because he feels like he hits the lottery when he gets it back and the label says 1st Print.

Fast forward to 2008. It dawns on him that he'll never be able to unload the 3rd print in the 1st print label without incurring some liability himself. What if the buyer cracks it and goes after him?

Next best solution: Tape a video of himself opening the slab. Repeatedly document the time and keep repeating it's a 1st print. Set the stage again and again for it to be a 1st print. Then gasp and moan like an actor in a high school production when it's a 3rd print!

Post video on youtube then go after PGX and accuse them of switching out the book.

Sadly, that's the impression that I got after watching the whole video, too.

This guy couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag.

"GASP!!" "WHEEZE!!!" SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!"

Oooooh-k.

Yea. PGX paid for their mistake. But, the mistake was not recognizing the correct printing of the book submitted, IMO.

They don't want to own up to not recognizing the correct printing, so they are taking the easier way out and paying, while admitting that possibly, maybe, some books got switched to the wrong customers.

I guess if your wife catches you on top of another gal, you can say that it was dark and you thought it was her (your wife).

PGX paid and they should have. They need to keep their ducks in order so that opportunist do not get them again.

To be fair to PGX. There have been several threads lately concerning CGC mistakes. CGC for sure, is better than PGX. But PGX is quicker and cheaper for sure.

Sometimes you go to McDonalds and sometimes you go to Prime Cuts.

If all you care about is a slab and a label, then PGX is fine. But if you want the maximum confidence in your book having a high probability of being correctly graded and scrutinized for restoration, then you go to CGC. If I was a flipper just chasing money and selling on Ebay, I would go to PGX to maximize my profits. But if I was selling on these boards or actually cared about my reputation and my collection, I would go the CGC route.

I have about 30% of my slabbed books as PGX. The other 70% is of course, CGC'd. If I decide to sell any of my PGX slabbed books, I will most likely just de-slab them, using the pGX grade as a guide, and sell them raw.

I got my books PGX'd back before "they" developed their current reputation. Live and learn. I am sure that most here have owned or currently own PGX slabbed books. They are not the devil. They are just a Chevy versus CGC which is the Cadillac. Everyone can not drive a Cadi, as much as we would like to.

They don't use microchamber paper? Without that, aren't they just sealing these comics in a way that will only make them age faster? I thought that was pretty standard for preservation.

That's another false argument from the video to support the notion that the comic was graded and slabbed sloppily.

PGX places the microchamber paper between the 1st and 2nd spread... NOT between the cover and the 1st spread. Notice he never opened the book to those pages.

They don't use microchamber paper? Without that, aren't they just sealing these comics in a way that will only make them age faster? I thought that was pretty standard for preservation.

I cracked out 2 Timelys in PGX cases they each had micro chamber paper in the front and back

Yea. PGX paid for their mistake. But, the mistake was not recognizing the correct printing of the book submitted, IMO.

They don't want to own up to not recognizing the correct printing, so they are taking the easier way out and paying, while admitting that possibly, maybe, some books got switched to the wrong customers.

I guess if your wife catches you on top of another gal, you can say that it was dark and you thought it was her (your wife).

PGX paid and they should have. They need to keep their ducks in order so that opportunist do not get them again.

To be fair to PGX. There have been several threads lately concerning CGC mistakes. CGC for sure, is better than PGX. But PGX is quicker and cheaper for sure.

Sometimes you go to McDonalds and sometimes you go to Prime Cuts.

If all you care about is a slab and a label, then PGX is fine. But if you want the maximum confidence in your book having a high probability of being correctly graded and scrutinized for restoration, then you go to CGC. If I was a flipper just chasing money and selling on Ebay, I would go to PGX to maximize my profits. But if I was selling on these boards or actually cared about my reputation and my collection, I would go the CGC route.

I have about 30% of my slabbed books as PGX. The other 70% is of course, CGC'd. If I decide to sell any of my PGX slabbed books, I will most likely just de-slab them, using the pGX grade as a guide, and sell them raw.

I got my books PGX'd back before "they" developed their current reputation. Live and learn. I am sure that most here have owned or currently own PGX slabbed books. They are not the devil. They are just a Chevy versus CGC which is the Cadillac. Everyone can not drive a Cadi, as much as we would like to.

Well said :golfclap:

This thread was brand new to me until last night, and without knowing the entire history as soon as I saw the video it came across as low-budget acting. That "First Print...First Print" was getting to the point you knew beforehand it was going to end badly.

You called it IMHO!

(thumbs u

This thread was brand new to me until last night, and without knowing the entire history as soon as I saw the video it came across as low-budget acting. That "First Print...First Print" was getting to the point you knew beforehand it was going to end badly.

You called it IMHO!

(thumbs u

I get lucky from time to time. :gossip:

You called it IMHO!

(thumbs u

I get lucky from time to time. :gossip:

This whole thing seems a little funny. Magic Dan started this thread on 12/05 looking for advice. Would there be a better place than these boards to discredit PGX, reagardless of your opinion of them. He gets alot of people on his side or wondering anyway. The story keeps growing and growing, giving us legal whys and why nots. Then at long last we see the video, after the stage is set. Then he videos cracking the slab, and to his astonishment, its a 3rd print. I agree with the Dice, PGX got boned. I wonder if he was actually going to re-submitt this book to CGC. It made me run for a beer watching him thumb the pages open, sticking his hands all over it, and mis-handling an allegedly 1st print. I sure as hell dont treat my books like that. Even the fly swatters. Who knows how much more damage he inflicted on the book. Needs to learn what disposable gloves are, and how to crack a slab.

DRX

Dang it! Now I gotta go back and watch that video again as it was at a level even D-List actors would say "Buddy, learn to act."

"Just got off the phone with my honey...we giggled about the screwing that PGX is going to get. Opening it up, and...heeeheee...I mean uuuhhhhhhh...it's a 3rd printing."

Why did YouTube make the embedding disabled by request? Is that the person that posts to YouTube that you can dictate embedding or not? Hmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZJ4VwFHSp4

funny, look what i ran into tonite as i did a search on PGX.

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/boards/Topic50003-24-1.aspx#bm50013

I loved the part in this story where Daniel had to go to talk with the PGX "Board" about the situation.

I just picture him going to his backyard and talking to this 786c1e9d20.jpg

But personally, I think Daniel got ripped off big time here. Everyone calls there "honey" states the time of day before they crack open a slab. Give me a break. I can't believe PGX/Daniel is that dumb to have given this guy cash. Even when he is opening the slab and he has the inner well out and trying to cut it open, he is putting his hand on the book and putting pressure on the book. If he really thought it was a first print he never would have done this. What a scam artist.

I've talked with Dan for a couple years now over at CPG, he's a straight shooter. Also, I'm aware my word holds little value here because I'm a 'newbie'. Regardless, ponder this... It's obvious 'Magic Dan' is not a full blown insufficiently_thoughtful_person, which one can gather from reading any of his well thought out posts. So if he 'gets lucky' and gets a 1st print grade by PGX on a 3rd print book WHY WOULD'NT HE JUST SELL IT IN THE PGX HOLDER INSTEAD OF THIS FIASCO!?! I'm sure everyone that calls bull mess on this guy can agree that money would be the primary motivating factor here. Why all this trouble when he could have EASILY just sold this book for big bucks on ebay?? Now that doesnt make sense, and that is why I believe what Dan is saying here. Why invent risks and the possibilty of losing all the value of the comic by decapsulating(is that a word) it when the money is right there waiting in a 7 day auction????? You guys should be aware of the unprofessional nature of PGX so why not document the slab cracking when you hear stories EVERYWHERE within the comics community about the potential of things exactly like this and similar to it occuring?

:applause:

2008, I was opening PGX’d comics to re-evaluate sending them off to CGC. (Numerous auctions had proven CGC’s superior notoriety made for a stronger selling price.) I thought maybe a few might actually grade higher if not then the same but with a brand name that buyers would hone in on more readily. Anyhow I finally got around to the TMNT#1. I got my camera out and began documenting.

Just curious...but does this mean we can watch videos of you opening everyone of your PGX slabbs?...Or just this one?...

--Shadow

CPG Administrator (since 2003)

I agree with Shadow, did Magic Dan video every slab he ever cracked opened or was it just convient to do it that day to black mail PGX. Hopefully CGC has seen this and knows who Magic Dan is and records all of his submissions.

That's Magic Dan. I don't understand why there's such hostility toward him? PGX has admitted he sent them a 1st print, and they've admitted they got a 3rd print as well. Why is it so hard to imagine that a mistake was made?

And people document all kinds of stuff these days. Why not film something you're nervous about, on the off chance it might come in handy. It's not like you're wasting video tape or anything.

I just don't see why some people are so sure he's full of it and that PGX just couldn't be wrong in this instance.

Amen. I know Magic Dan from CPG and glad this worked out for him.

I like how some are saying that the PGX check isnt real. Maybe they also know who shot JFK???

That's Magic Dan. I don't understand why there's such hostility toward him? PGX has admitted he sent them a 1st print, and they've admitted they got a 3rd print as well. Why is it so hard to imagine that a mistake was made?

And people document all kinds of stuff these days. Why not film something you're nervous about, on the off chance it might come in handy. It's not like you're wasting video tape or anything.

I just don't see why some people are so sure he's full of it and that PGX just couldn't be wrong in this instance.

Amen. I know Magic Dan from CPG and glad this worked out for him.

I like how some are saying that the PGX check isnt real. Maybe they also know who shot JFK???

Oh, you're right. That guy's story and staged performance was totally believable. How rude of me not to buy it. :(

well im still not sure. I mean if it was staged why didnt he just have the local paper sitting nearby when he cracked the slab. instead he looks around for something with a date and can only find some ad with a "Sale" date on it.

But on the other hand he does seem to be a little too emotional when he finds out I mean the whole idea of filming it was to protect himself yet he asks himself "what am i going to do?" which is odd since he seemed to have problems with pgx in the past.