• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wrong printing discovered in Returned PGX Graded Book- Do I have legal options?

430 posts in this topic

OK, I've watched Dan's legit video of him opening up a PGX case, and this much is true:

The book was labeled a 1st printing on the PGX case.

The book in the case was not a 1st printing.

The book had no microchamber paper. The other PGX books I've opened had none either.

I know what book it is :luhv:, but if Dan told the rest of you what book it is, it would make a heck of alot more sense.

So, as far as I can tell, one of two things happened:

PGX took Dan's 1st print, kept it, and gave him a 3rd print.

or

Dan sent in a 3rd print and PGX slabed the third print but mislabeled it a 1st print.

at the risk of upsetting the OP - welcome to the boards by the way :foryou: - i find it incredibly hard to believe that even a company as inept as PGX would swap out a book for a later printing. it's like taking your car to the shop and them swapping it out for a different one.

what, they thought you wouldn't notice? it's stupidity on a level approaching demigod status

How about this? I almost sold this to another collector for $1000.00+! I decided to keep it to submit to CGC. What would have happened if I did follow thru with the offer and the buyer were to discover the worthless wrong printing in the PGX case?

I asked that same question to Mr. Patterson of PGX. What do you think his answer was?

I sure dodged the bullet on that one.

I hope this turns out okay for you Dan. :wishluck:

OK, I've watched Dan's legit video of him opening up a PGX case, and this much is true:

The book had no microchamber paper. The other PGX books I've opened had none either.

I know what book it is :luhv:, but if Dan told the rest of you what book it is, it would make a heck of alot more sense.

or

Dan sent in a 3rd print and PGX slabed the third print but mislabeled it a 1st print.

This is an UG comic isn't it?

or

Dan, just curious: how did you know there was a problem with the book (such that you had a video camera at the ready) before you opened the case?

or

Yes. It's not a Marvel, DC, Image, etc...

The difference between the 1st and 3rd printing of this book is like the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it.

or

got the email and video as well Chris.......if PGX screwed up and gave it a 1st printing designation by accident, then why wouldn't Dan just sell it as a 1st printing and make coin? it's obvious the 'mistake' is on the part of PGX in this case and they should make restitution.

The difference between the 1st and 3rd printing of this book is like the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it.

So it's Zap Comix #1 ? (shrug)

Dan, just curious: how did you know there was a problem with the book (such that you had a video camera at the ready) before you opened the case?

He told me "As a seller of comic books, I always document opening cases if only to prove to potential buyers that the book was at one time encapsulated. "

or

Can the printing be determined through a cover tell, or does the determination need to happen through interior inspection?

He told me "As a seller of comic books, I always document opening cases if only to prove to potential buyers that the book was at one time encapsulated. "

So he's an uber-nerd, and has probably had self gratification while reading a Wonder Woman comic. :eek:

or

Can the printing be determined through a cover tell, or does the determination need to happen through interior inspection?

Interior inspection only.

or

I don't need to know anything about the book to tell you this is a complicated claim. I can't speak on anyone's behalf, nor do I want to impart anything I say here as advice. However what I will say is that books where printing cannot be determined by some cover tell should not be certified.

This appears to be an exceptional circumstance, but one that makes it very difficult for the owner to be protected in any kind of swap scheme, intentional or accidental. Moreover, tamper evident holders, and 3rd-party grading opinions can sometimes act as a barrier to trade (have a look at the only question posed in this past auction).

So he's an uber-nerd, and has probably had self gratification while reading a Wonder Woman comic. :eek:

Hold on a second! What's wrong with that?

or

I don't need to know anything about the book to tell you this is a complicated claim. I can't speak on anyone's behalf, nor do I want to impart anything I say here as advice. However what I will say is that books where printing cannot be determined by some cover tell should not be certified.

This appears to be an exceptional circumstance, but one that makes it very difficult for the owner to be protected in any kind of swap scheme, intentional or accidental. Moreover, tamper evident holders, and 3rd-party grading opinions can sometimes act as a barrier to trade (have a look at the only question posed in this past auction).

Comicwiz...you are wise! The same logic that you have said here is the same logic that PGX is using to debate my claim. I've been told "there's no proof that you submitted a 1st print." Even with the written original invoice in front of PGX's owner as I was speaking with him; even with the "1st print" written on the submitted invoice--I've been repeatedly told "there's no proof" and that their insurance refuses to cover the book.

or

hm