• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toon Tumblers and ice cold beer....

496 posts in this topic

Look, it's not a big deal...I'm only going to have one glass of Merlot tonight...

GLglass.jpg

Peace,

Chip ;)

Outstanding!!

:headbang:

I am mixing up a bunch of Sangria for my post promotion bash tomorrow-I'll toss some in Toon Tumber in a little bit!

G O O D T I M E S !!!!!!

1655256-banana2.gifChris

Thanks Chip!!

I pinned on Sergeant Major this morning here at the Combat Center in Twentynine Palms.

I would have more pics up, but hot and heavy getting set up for the "wet down" party tomorrow.

I have a bunch of Toon Tumblers on ice and will have some photos up probably on Sunday when I am sober enough to put them up! lol

G O O D T I M E S !!!!!!

1655256-banana2.gifChris

Finally got around to reading this whole thread. Love all the glasses! I've got a couple pics from the past I can share. :)

drinks.jpg

I have more, but no pics as yet.

Peace,

Chip

:o Where did you land that Superman #32 tumbler ?? !! :o

Thats AWESOME !! I want to get a couple

Vintage Cap is full of fresh Imp IPA from a local brewery. Its very cool to be able to get "beer to go" right from the source.

IMG_9275.jpg

Thanks Chip!!

I pinned on Sergeant Major this morning here at the Combat Center in Twentynine Palms.

I would have more pics up, but hot and heavy getting set up for the "wet down" party tomorrow.

I have a bunch of Toon Tumblers on ice and will have some photos up probably on Sunday when I am sober enough to put them up! lol

G O O D T I M E S !!!!!!

1655256-banana2.gifChris

Congratulations!! :applause:

I'll have one to toast the occasion . . .

Phantombeer508x381.jpg

It was a gift from the g/f. Local pop culture store, I believe. It was in a set of 4 with the WW, Batman and GL/Showcase glasses I also have pictured in this thread.

Peace,

Chip

It was a gift from the g/f. Local pop culture store, I believe. It was in a set of 4 with the WW, Batman and GL/Showcase glasses I also have pictured in this thread.

Peace,

Chip

(thumbs u Thx.... the search is on !!

Thanks Chip!!

G O O D T I M E S !!!!!!

1655256-banana2.gifChris

Congrats on the promotion!!!!!!!! Sgt. Major!

Wow... that was fast. I turned up nothing. But my search was for "toon tumblers Superman 32 " :blush:

Dang , that second guy wants 21 bucks for shipping :o

I just want the one glass. Not all the others... I'll keep waiting

I hate to be a drag, but Toon Tumblers is a registered trademark of PopFunMerchandising. Its not a catchall term for a glass with a comic character on it.

Toon Tumblers website.

The mastermind is our own underthebigW; he's probably too classy to say anything but I'm not. This thread was originally made to celebrate his product because he is our friend and board mate, not shoddy goods from competitors who jumped in for a quick buck after he took the plunge.

Here's why:

Different sources give different accounts of the origins of the word tumbler. The most common etymology holds that the original glasses used as tumbler glasses had bases that either rounded out or came to a point, making them impossible to put down because they would 'tumble' over. This limitation is explained either as a result of glass-making practices of the day, or as an intentional design flaw to inspire patrons to imbibe more alcohol by requiring them to finish their drink before they could put it down. An alternate etymology of the term tumbler cites the 17th century use of the phrase "Venice glass tumblers" to describe glass-makers who made the these types of glasses.

The earliest glasses we would call a tumbler were made in Rome during the pre-Christian era. These glasses were blown, not pressed, which gave them a rounded appearance, almost of a ball. Their bases were most likely flattened, however, so that they would not in fact 'tumble' over.

In the 19th century, the first pressed-glass tumbler was manufactured. The story goes that a carpenter came to a glass maker, Deming Jarves, and requested a glass of certain dimensions and shape. Jarves informed the man that such a glass couldn't possibly be blown, and the man suggested a machine could be made to press it into the correct shape. Jarves made the machine and produced the first tumbler, a rough proxy of today's modern tumbler glasses.

These days, a tumbler may come in many different shapes. Because of its wide-spread popularity, most glass makers have at least one, if not many, different varieties of tumbler for sale. The tumbler may be simple, with a flat base and basic outward-arcing body, or may be wavy and artistic, pointed with no flat base, rounded and nested on a stem to a flat base, or any number of other designs. Tumblers come in all sorts of colors and patterns, and may not even be made of glass -- some tumblers are constructed of stainless steel or plastics.

As glasses go, the tumbler is a must-have for any bar and for most kitchens. Larger than an 8 oz. cup, they generally offer a wonderful marriage of simplicity and usefulness, at an affordable price.