• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obama ASM comic $60 bucks a piece

378 posts in this topic

though I remember when dealers didnt raise prices on a new comic until after the first week. But maybe thats why they all went out of business.

Actually, the constant price-gouging on new comics, like Superman 75, is one of the reasons why they DID go out of business. People were speculating on new issues at cover, but when comic store owners started gouging on "hot issues" right off the stand, it drove a lot of people away.

I still remember the pizzed off buyers after the owner told them that all Superman 75's were $25, and that subscription copies had all been removed and resold. That day they probably lost half their regular customers, and were gone not long after.

though I remember when dealers didnt raise prices on a new comic until after the first week. But maybe thats why they all went out of business.

Actually, the constant price-gouging on new comics, like Superman 75, is one of the reasons why they DID go out of business. People were speculating on new issues at cover, but when comic store owners started gouging on "hot issues" right off the stand, it drove a lot of people away.

I still remember the pizzed off buyers after the owner told them that all Superman 75's were $25, and that subscription copies had all been removed and resold. That day they probably lost half their regular customers, and were gone not long after.

It's one thing to charge more for books that have to be re-acquired on the secondary market, but if you are ordering them wholesale and not selling them at cover, it's not good business. If you are telling customers who pre-ordered a non-allocated book they are out of luck, it's really bad business.

The other side of the coin, so to speak, is seeing the book you just bought wholesale for $1.50 and sold to someone off the street for $3 go for $60 on eBay...well that can't be easy.

Any LCS that charges a premium for this weeks new book, and ESPECIALLY, if they do not fill subscriptions for established customers at cover price, should be shunned. Period.

What low lifes and what shoddy business practices.

If they want to sell them at a premium after the week they come out, then so be it. But to stash them away now, or to sell them now at premiums is dirty and low down.

Fill the darn subscriptions first, you clowns. Don't you know where your bread is buttered.

P.S. Am I the only one who wouldn't buy one of these, for ten cents over cover price?

So just in case I paid $24.95 each for 3 copies of the 1st printing from one eBay seller using BIN. I think I got a good deal considering what the rest are selling for.

Nope, you got rooked just like everyone else who is paying more than cover price for that book.

so my wife saw the piece on CNN about the ASM comic with Obama on the cover and was convinced we needed to get a bunch of copies because they will be worth big time money some day. i laughed and told her it's just a manufactured collectible and i would grab one from the dollar box at a con a few months after it hit the stands.

today she decides to call our LCS to put a few copies on hold. the guy tells her he will hold only one copy per person but they are $60 a piece.

:o

:roflmao:

Can anyone really, truly explain why so many LCS owners believe that they are the ones doing their customers a favor, and not the other way around?

Why so many LCS owners treat people....especially consistent and/or big spending customers...with such contempt?

So you sell a "$60 book" for $3 to a loyal customer...wouldn't you rather do that then lose the $1-$2K a year in business they bring to you?

Don't wanna do that? Fine. Create incentives for your customer. Spend $50 on other stuff (stuff they would have likely bought anyways) and THEN sell that "$60 book" for $3.

How many stores closing is it going to take before people wise up? It's the same old story, and it seems as if little has changed since 1992.

Tragic.

This certainly is like Captain America #25, all over again.

The problem is that the price tanks so quickly, that you need to get your copy and have it on eBay not within weeks or even days of release, but hours. That is, if you want enough profit to make it worth the time and effort. To make any strong profit at all on a raw copy, it really needs to be within 3 days...because by that point eBay is saturated

If I recall, with Cap #25, the book peaked on actual night of release, with a strong showing the following day. But within 72 hours of release, prices had already dropped significantly and eBay had hundreds and hundreds of listings for this one book.

And if you want to take the bigger risk for the bigger profit, by having the first CGC 9.8 copy on eBay you really need to live in Florida (like me :) ) If not, you won't be able to get it in and graded fast enough to beat Florida dealers who can drive to Sarasota the morning the book is released.

thats why i dont buy new comics anymore. after over 40 years of buying new books, i got tired of the current trend of charging super high prices for new books (death of Cap, anyone?) -and i spent quite a bit every month, well they dont get my money now.

You gotta' love it with the price jacking. When Cap 25 came out the owner of the LCS here filled subscriptions first, then regualted the book to one copy per person at cover price.

I can't say that if I had a few copies and someone offered me $100 a piece that I would turn it down. However, I wouldn't bend my customers over at the counter either. Retailers pay in the long term for pulling that kind of garbage.

I just want to add in that this isn't a regular ASM book that was just available for standard ordering. You had to order x amount of books in order to get the Obama cover variant. I have 3 semi-local LCS and none of them ordered enough books to even get one of them. Marvel did not tell them until too late and they all got shut out. I am not saying this book has any long term value whatsoever, but it is going to be very hard to get on Wednesday unless you had a shop that regularly orders huge quantities (read big cities) or knew in advance and got to order huge quantities for this book.

I've been perusing eBay the last few days and have been watching a number of the #583 Obama cover (1st Printing) auctions and they've been averaging in the $30-$40 range. One of the auctions I was watching last night some lucky seller got a couple people in a bidding war and it went for $91.00! :o

I called my LCS end of last week and asked to reserve 2 copies of each cover (I'm a regular customer). They said they'd do what they could. So just in case I paid $24.95 each for 3 copies of the 1st printing from one eBay seller using BIN. I think I got a good deal considering what the rest are selling for.

The 2nd printing is only selling for $4-$8 each and comes out on February 11th I believe. I went ahead and bought 5 of those off of eBay this morning as well.

this is nuts...we pre-sold out of the first printing at cover less 35% (most went to reg subscribers, a few new orders)!...and was still able to order 2nd printings (as of friday) and sold them for 35% off cover too... I must be doing something wrong lol

You JUST made $25,000 on a Tec 27 this past summer, so doubt that!! :)

This certainly is like Captain America #25, all over again.

The problem is that the price tanks so quickly, that you need to get your copy and have it on eBay not within weeks or even days of release, but hours. That is, if you want enough profit to make it worth the time and effort. To make any strong profit at all on a raw copy, it really needs to be within 3 days...because by that point eBay is saturated

If I recall, with Cap #25, the book peaked on actual night of release, with a strong showing the following day. But within 72 hours of release, prices had already dropped significantly and eBay had hundreds and hundreds of listings for this one book.

And if you want to take the bigger risk for the bigger profit, by having the first CGC 9.8 copy on eBay you really need to live in Florida (like me :) ) If not, you won't be able to get it in and graded fast enough to beat Florida dealers who can drive to Sarasota the morning the book is released.

An even better analogy for this example is the November 5 New York Times. Copies were selling on eBay early that morning for hundreds of dollars. Now? Nothing. People who got on super early in the morning made a killing.