• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obama ASM comic $60 bucks a piece

378 posts in this topic

This certainly is like Captain America #25, all over again.

The problem is that the price tanks so quickly, that you need to get your copy and have it on eBay not within weeks or even days of release, but hours. That is, if you want enough profit to make it worth the time and effort. To make any strong profit at all on a raw copy, it really needs to be within 3 days...because by that point eBay is saturated

If I recall, with Cap #25, the book peaked on actual night of release, with a strong showing the following day. But within 72 hours of release, prices had already dropped significantly and eBay had hundreds and hundreds of listings for this one book.

And if you want to take the bigger risk for the bigger profit, by having the first CGC 9.8 copy on eBay you really need to live in Florida (like me :) ) If not, you won't be able to get it in and graded fast enough to beat Florida dealers who can drive to Sarasota the morning the book is released.

To be fair, part of the reason Cap 25 prices tanked so quickly was because Marvel saw dollar signs. Within days of seeing that book selling for high $ on the back issue market, they announced they would "go back to the presses" with the book and print tons more first print copies. So not only did they screw over the collectors who thought the print run was over, but they killed any value the book could've (a couple of bucks) ever had by inundating the market with it. But they wanted to make sure their good buddies at Wizard could unload their cases of Cap 25 first.

I will be sitting this one out. All the vultures will come out after this one. This book will tank in about a week or so.

I hope the dude at the begining gets his $25 a piece back. He better flip fast.

As long as a local comic shop filled its order then I have NP with them charging whatever they want for their extra copies. Hard as hell to make it as a LCS nowadays. None of the customers looking for that copy are long term buyers.

As King pointed out earlier market saturation comes fast.

Did Wizard miss the boat on this one or are they still double dipping by selling.

Anyone check their ebay account?

Hopefully people will realize that this is exactly like Captain America #25 and that the price they are paying now, you can divide by 3 and subtract 7 and that will be the price in about 2 months or sooner.

Marvel always prints lots more of this trash. Please nobody waste your money like this. You can almost guarantee that in 3 months, Marvel will liquidate what is left of this book and you will be able to buy it on ebay for $5.

The problem is that the price tanks so quickly, that you need to get your copy and have it on eBay not within weeks or even days of release, but hours. That is, if you want enough profit to make it worth the time and effort. To make any strong profit at all on a raw copy, it really needs to be within 3 days...because by that point eBay is saturated

If I recall, with Cap #25, the book peaked on actual night of release, with a strong showing the following day. But within 72 hours of release, prices had already dropped significantly and eBay had hundreds and hundreds of listings for this one book.

And if you want to take the bigger risk for the bigger profit, by having the first CGC 9.8 copy on eBay you really need to live in Florida (like me :) ) If not, you won't be able to get it in and graded fast enough to beat Florida dealers who can drive to Sarasota the morning the book is released.

To be fair, part of the reason Cap 25 prices tanked so quickly was because Marvel saw dollar signs. Within days of seeing that book selling for high $ on the back issue market, they announced they would "go back to the presses" with the book and print tons more first print copies. So not only did they screw over the collectors who thought the print run was over, but they killed any value the book could've (a couple of bucks) ever had by inundating the market with it. But they wanted to make sure their good buddies at Wizard could unload their cases of Cap 25 first.

uhhh, that is not the story I heard.... Wizard had bought a huge chunk of these books and was selling them on their web-site for ridiculous prices and Marvel said enough, and got the books back from Wizard, but who knows

Why not charge more for the special cover? If a shop has to order X number of books to get the variant then why not charge a premium? No one is making us buy the book and we all know that it will drop in a few months so just sit back and wait.

I say it's just supply and demand, if someone wants to pay $100 for the book that's their decision and if I have a copy I will gladly sell it for $100 to that guy. Most likely the people looking for this book will not be regular customers for the regulars will see this for what it is a short term prices spike. How many people sold copies of ASM 300 for incredible amounts when Spider-man 3 came out? How many will sell GI Joe books, Transformers and Wolverine books when their movies come out? If someone has the chance to make $30, $40, or $100 on this book I say go for it.

An even better analogy for this example is the November 5 New York Times. Copies were selling on eBay early that morning for hundreds of dollars. Now? Nothing. People who got on super early in the morning made a killing.

True enough. I would love to see the major news media do a follow up story sometime regarding fad collectible investments. It was the same with the John Kerry error newspapers a few years back.

The one thing in regards to demand will be that these books will have some limited crossover interest outside of just comic book fans. I write a monthly column for a political Americana publication. People that collect political Americana may have some interest in these, but I don't see them paying crazy money unless they get caught up in the temporary hype. With that being said anything relating to the new President has been very hot lately,

Some examples include:

A 2008 artist proof Obama Hope lithograph by artist Shepard Fairey $2,700.

Autographed copy of Time Magazine featuring Barack Obama featuring the title And The Winner Is…$500.

Major League Baseball autographed by Michelle Obama with a handpainted portrait of her $440.

Autographed items and unique items have been the only items bringing real money on the political Americana market.

Why not charge more for the special cover? If a shop has to order X number of books to get the variant then why not charge a premium? No one is making us buy the book and we all know that it will drop in a few months so just sit back and wait.

I say it's just supply and demand, if someone wants to pay $100 for the book that's their decision and if I have a copy I will gladly sell it for $100 to that guy. Most likely the people looking for this book will not be regular customers for the regulars will see this for what it is a short term prices spike. How many people sold copies of ASM 300 for incredible amounts when Spider-man 3 came out? How many will sell GI Joe books, Transformers and Wolverine books when their movies come out? If someone has the chance to make $30, $40, or $100 on this book I say go for it.

I will tell you exactly why. That guy that spends $100.00 on the book is buying it as an investment, and when the book is $8 in 3 months and no one wants it even at that price and no one will buy it from him, then that is a potential collector lost forever. That guy might be someone not in the hobby and he might be someone who has not been around long enough to see this type of thing happen over and over again. But either way, he is getting screwed over by. Oh sure he doesn't have to buy it, but he doesn't know better and you do. You are choosing to make a quick buck on the item, so don't blame it on the customer.

Where are the Madoff comparisons when they are really valid?

What is the actual cover price for this comic?

And it's not going to be rare at all... This price gouging is retarded... I went into my LCS to pull some backstock today and there was a call every few minutes, people asking about the comic.

I just hope all these losers stay out of my way on Wednesday when I go pick up my regular books.

I will tell you exactly why. That guy that spends $100.00 on the book is buying it as an investment, and when the book is $8 in 3 months and no one wants it even at that price and no one will buy it from him, then that is a potential collector lost forever. That guy might be someone not in the hobby and he might be someone who has not been around long enough to see this type of thing happen over and over again. But either way, he is getting screwed over by. Oh sure he doesn't have to buy it, but he doesn't know better and you do. You are choosing to make a quick buck on the item, so don't blame it on the customer.

If these people who are buying the Obama comic for $100 never bought one before and bought one to speculate on it they were never really comic collectors and were unlikely to ever become one

What's the big deal? It's just another comic book with a costumed clown on the cover.

(Edit: After closer examination, it looks like Spider-Man is on the cover too.)

This is ridiculous! The only way I would pay this kind of money is if the book was SSd with his sig on it!

On a related note, anybody else see those Obama coin infomercials with Montel Williams? The man isn't even in office yet and already he has a commemorative coin! Amazing!!

What is the actual cover price for this comic?

And it's not going to be rare at all... This price gouging is retarded... I went into my LCS to pull some backstock today and there was a call every few minutes, people asking about the comic.

I just hope all these losers stay out of my way on Wednesday when I go pick up my regular books.

That's crazy :screwy:

That's right he doesn't have to buy it. This happens with all sorts of items not just comics. The Xbox 360 was going for almost $800.00 on eBay when it came out. The Wii is still hard to find in some areas. When the VW Beetle was reintroduced it was selling at a price higher than what VW had it listed at. Same with the Miata. Cabbage patch kids, Tickle me Elmo. The list goes on and on. Besides it's going to be a hard book to find, at least in my area. The owner of the LCS told me that you had to order more Spider-man copies for this issue than what you ordered 4 months ago. Well Spider-man sales are down and he cut his order so no Obama copies, but if he did have one it would be a $40.00 book. He also said no copies will be held unless you already have a subscription to Spider-man. Then the books will be put on the wall and sold for cover price. How many people will want the non-Obama cover is anyone's guess but I bet your average Joe will not want them.

Also some people don't care that it will not go up, or will not believe you. For example there was the Stephen Colbert Spider-man comic and my LCS had 3 copies on the table each with a $20.00 price tag. A guy comes in looks at the owner and mentions that he saw a comic on the Colbert Report and wanted to know if it was real or fake. Needless to say the guy was not a regular, just someone who wanted to know if the book existed. It was pointed out and he picked up all 3 copies. The owner said something about taking all 3 and the guy said it was an investment. It was pointed out that it may never go over $20.00 and would likely drop. He didn't care he liked Colbert and wanted the comics. I'm sure he didn't even know that it was a cover swipe from AF15. That is the type of customer that will buy this book.

In the end it's supply and demand some places will have limited amounts and with the media surrounding the book it will create a lot of demand so the price goes up. No one is being taken advantage of, it's just a comic book and is not vital for survival. If I own a store I have 2 copies of this issue and I'm taking 10 calls a day about it then I am going to price it higher than cover price. Some will see it as gouging; I see it as a normal part of the capitalist system.

Back issues with an established market value (whether that's 5 cents or $50,000) are not the same as new issues.

That said, there's a big difference between ASKING $100 and GETTING $100 (as in an auction format.)

And again...short term, small dollar profits at the expense of long term, steady customers is why the comics market has never recovered from the crash. The very, very best thing for a LCS owner to do in a situation like this is NOT order extra copies just to get the variant, and whatever copies they do get, pass on to their good customers for the regular price. They can stop supporting these "programs" designed to churn out Franklin Mint-type collectibles, and instead tell the publishers to simply publish great stories and art that they can sell.

Of course, that's the BEST thing they could do, and everyone knows that's not really possible in the face of $$$$$.

Hopefully people will realize that this is exactly like Captain America #25 and that the price they are paying now, you can divide by 3 and subtract 7 and that will be the price in about 2 months or sooner.

Marvel always prints lots more of this trash. Please nobody waste your money like this. You can almost guarantee that in 3 months, Marvel will liquidate what is left of this book and you will be able to buy it on ebay for $5.

Dale, I just called the LCS that I mainly get my trade paperbacks from, and they'll hold 1 copy for me at regular cost. Should I not even bother? Actually they usually sell the Variants for $7.99....but I have credit there anyways...

If you can get it for cover price, I'd say go for it. Put it on eBay that night. If I am offered any at cover on the day of release Ill buy them and sell them on eBay the same day. It is profitable if you play your cards right. Most people just end up losing their money because they don't sell fast enough.