• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

They arrived today!!!! :banana:

IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

Going to get one signed?

If the opportunity arises and I'm feeling so inclined... but interior sigs only.

I got my original copies of 3-8 that I bought off the stand signed by both guys back in '87. They were doing a tour promoting their popular indy book, TMNT. Later I picked up a 1st print #2 but have only had 2nd and 4th print of #1 for forever. I'm glad to finally have finished the set.

In digging through my TMNT box the other day I also found the TMNT RPG book (signed) and a 1st print of the first graphic novel (reprinting 1-4 in color). :cloud9:

FWIW I just "gave" the 8.0 to my best friend at lunch today. I've had a box of his books for a long time, promising to sell them for him. I told him I'd keep the books and he could have he new precious.

They arrived today!!!! :banana:

IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

Going to get one signed?

If the opportunity arises and I'm feeling so inclined... but interior sigs only.

I got my original copies of 3-8 that I bought off the stand signed by both guys back in '87. They were doing a tour promoting their popular indy book, TMNT. Later I picked up a 1st print #2 but have only had 2nd and 4th print of #1 for forever. I'm glad to finally have finished the set.

In digging through my TMNT box the other day I also found the TMNT RPG book (signed) and a 1st print of the first graphic novel (reprinting 1-4 in color). :cloud9:

FWIW I just "gave" the 8.0 to my best friend at lunch today. I've had a box of his books for a long time, promising to sell them for him. I told him I'd keep the books and he could have he new precious.

:thumbsup: sounds like a good friend to me!

So I'm guessing the board controls roughly one tenth of the production run. Not bad.

The production run was 3000 for the first print. Given the current list (and only counting 1 for rabidwolf), you think there are 277 more copies held by board members that haven't posted them?

Not attacking you...just want to see if I'm understanding you correctly.

I havent been on the boards for a couple of months. This is cool that this list is being made.

Let me give some additional info on the copies I have to help update the list. I have 6 copies BUT my friend and I have 50/50 interests in each of the 6 books(he is not a board member). I know its weird but we had made an agreement that everytime we found one we would notify the other person and buy them together. I think we picked up the first one in 1999 and the most recent one in 2004. All were ungraded when bought and we had them slabbed.

all are graded. I actually havent seen them in a few years because they have been sitting in a bank vault so I forgot whether the lowest graded one is a 6.0 or 6.5 but here is the list.(all blue label)

1 copy at 9.4

2 copies at 8.5

1 copy at 8.0

1 copy at 7.5

1 copy at 6.0 or 6.5 cant remember,

cooool... Thanks for the update RW!

That gives us 28 so far...

User Min Grade Max Grade Slabbed Notes
Archon_Turtle 7 7 Yes SS - sign & sketch by Eastman
campued1010 9.4 9.4 Yes
chainnball 0 10 No
cyberjad 9.4 9.4 Yes Signed by Eastman and Laird on inside front cover
DetroitMike 9.4 9.4 Yes
DevilsRain 7.5 7.5 Yes
DevilsRain (neighbor) 7.5 7.5 Yes
icculus308win 9.6 9.6 Yes Signed by Eastman and Laird on inside front cover
iggy 0 10 No
Jeffreykli 9.2 9.2 Yes
lookwhoitis 7 7 Yes
Mac Man 6 6 Yes SS - signed by Eastman & Laird; sketch by Laird; SS Eastman only
Mr.Comicbook 0 10 No
Ogami 7 7 Yes signed by Eastman and Laird
Peter Palmer 9 9 Yes
rabidwolf 9.4 9.4 Yes
rabidwolf 8.5 8.5 Yes
rabidwolf 8.5 8.5 Yes
rabidwolf 8 8 Yes
rabidwolf 7.5 7.5 Yes
rabidwolf 6 6.5 Yes
RockMyAmadeus 9.2 9.4 No
Schmakt 9 9 Yes slight (A) color touch
SlinginWeb 7 7 Yes SS
Stronguy 9 9 Yes
Stronguy's friend 8 8 Yes
telerites 9.8 9.8 Yes
TMNT 9.2 9.2 Yes Signed by Eastman and Laird on inside front cover
Edited by Schmakt

Helleva a list you compiled! (worship)

Good initiative on this my man! (thumbs u

I always pondered the number of accounted books.

rabidwolf.....all I can say is....WOW! :headbang: Very SMART investing on your part!

btw, my book is signed also on the inside front cover by the dynamic duo.

Helleva a list you compiled! (worship)

Good initiative on this my man! (thumbs u

I always pondered the number of accounted books.

rabidwolf.....all I can say is....WOW! :headbang: Very SMART investing on your part!

btw, my book is signed also on the inside front cover by the dynamic duo.

Thanks icculus, Sweet looking copy you have by the way!!!!!.

Actually I wonder how many of the original 3000 still exist. I am sure a portion of the original 3000 were lost, thrown away, or destroyed the first couple of years they came out.

Maybe copies had their covers ripped off by Eastman & Laird to use for promotional purposes! :o

Danny you have a valid possibility there. I have heard of some comic book stores doing this books and some record stores with albums in the past. (It was cheap and easy advertising)

An actual example is - My Father in Law used to work at Head shop in college and he said the owner used to have em use a razor blade to cut the top part of many new albums off to hang on the wall. It was easier to drive a thumbtack through (and stay in the wall) than the whole album. He did it to many CLASSIC now COVETED albums he said. They also used to sell some comics too. Along the lines of the Faboulous Furry Freak Brothers and other Crumb books and they did the same, ripped off the cover and taped or tacked em up.

Maybe E & L did this with a couple. (shrug)

I did witness the slow death of a PURDY TMNT #1 fresh off the rack. This older kid I knew a couple blocks down used to roll his copy up and swat bees with it in his room. (also it was a "rolling station" a time or two for his "greenery" I recall!) Furthermore, he doodled on most of his comics front to back...along with a couple of his Dad's SA books. (The kid was actually a big comic fan and a darn good artist, too bad he didn't doodle on his folders or text books like most of us!)

That leaves us with 2999 copies to account for.

What's the price on a CGC 8.5 to 9.2 copy of the "first print" of TMNT #1? (shrug)

Depending on many variables (such as PG, signed/sketched, selling venue, etc) they seem to range from about $1200ish-$3000ish for the three grades you are referring to.

What's the price on a CGC 8.5 to 9.2 copy of the "first print" of TMNT #1? (shrug)

Depending on many variables (such as PG, signed/sketched, selling venue, etc) they seem to range from about $1200ish-$3000ish for the three grades you are referring to.

DAMMMNN!!!!! :o

I may have to get a CGC 7.5 or 8.0 copy.

Even that's going to run you $850-$1000. Shoot, a 7.0 sold in January for $1000 and a 6.5 sold in February for $995.

Even that's going to run you $850-$1000. Shoot, a 7.0 sold in January for $1000 and a 6.5 sold in February for $995.

I need to complete some Wolverine sets before I can get a TMNT #1

But the prices gives me a good idea on how much I need to save up

The prices do tend to fluctuate a bit on the book also. If you only look for a month or two you will probably come out closer to the upper end of the range. If you want an 8.5 at the low end of the range I quoted, you will probably be searching for a year. Then there will be a strange auction, from a shady seller on ebay, ending late on a saturday night :) Ready to take a risk? hm

The prices do tend to fluctuate a bit on the book also. If you only look for a month or two you will probably come out closer to the upper end of the range. If you want an 8.5 at the low end of the range I quoted, you will probably be searching for a year. Then there will be a strange auction, from a shady seller on ebay, ending late on a saturday night :)Ready to take a risk? hm

HELL NO!!!! :screwy:

The prices do tend to fluctuate a bit on the book also. If you only look for a month or two you will probably come out closer to the upper end of the range. If you want an 8.5 at the low end of the range I quoted, you will probably be searching for a year. Then there will be a strange auction, from a shady seller on ebay, ending late on a saturday night :) Ready to take a risk? hm

Speaking from the midgrade range, I'd say this assessment is equally valid. I'd been on the lookout for QUITE some time knowing that I wanted a copy between 4.0-6.0 range. I was quite fortunate to eventually find mine (here on the boards) for the lower end of the typical price range after the better of (or slightly more than) a year.