• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,391 posts in this topic

On 6/10/2022 at 5:55 AM, jaybuck43 said:

Wonder why they went with Raph instead of Mike...

image.thumb.png.bee947280d60ec6cedbf7ce91bad4f19.png

Probably because Playmates would have chucked a hissy if they did, because it would have been a direct throwback to one of their figures, not something they could claim they got from the movies, '87 cartoon, etc. 

On 6/14/2022 at 11:53 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

Finally got Tales 4 and 5 to complete the 7-issue run, plus a nice TMNT 5 2nd print and a decent copy of TMNT 7 1st print:

1712860587_TalesTMNT4.thumb.jpeg.2c3804cc3c29c09342851dc54d9d8b92.jpeg

1862164537_TalesTMNT5.thumb.jpeg.f81ecf5236fae4daba6c6a124df28a02.jpeg

646285339_TMNT52nd.thumb.jpeg.39da7f947e3adc3d862d4f74787d29b4.jpeg

665723665_TMNT71st.thumb.jpeg.c62170c0ffe9b8189f5784dbbd1c57a2.jpeg

:whee:awesome! nice!:) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 6/15/2022 at 5:55 PM, TMNT said:

Speaking of Tales #4, featuring the first appearance of Rat King, check out this cool page I picked up recently 

Screenshot_20220615-074039_Gallery.thumb.jpg.107bb398dac796f24aea1d6682f5fa4b.jpg

Great pickup from a great issue!  Rat King is such a unique character.  He's VERY different in every version of the TMNT.  He's in both Mirage and IDW versions of the comics and at least 3 versions of the cartoons.  I'd love to see a big-screen version of him at some point, but I wonder what direction they'd take him in.  hm

On 6/15/2022 at 8:37 PM, Turtle said:
On 6/15/2022 at 4:55 PM, TMNT said:

Speaking of Tales #4, featuring the first appearance of Rat King, check out this cool page I picked up recently 

Screenshot_20220615-074039_Gallery.thumb.jpg.107bb398dac796f24aea1d6682f5fa4b.jpg

Expand  

Great pickup from a great issue!  Rat King is such a unique character.  He's VERY different in every version of the TMNT.  He's in both Mirage and IDW versions of the comics and at least 3 versions of the cartoons.  I'd love to see a big-screen version of him at some point, but I wonder what direction they'd take him in.  hm

Interesting that hes described different in most iterations. I've mostly seen the 1st cartoon and this was my 1st comic reading lol unfortunately, of the rat king at least. It seemed I remembered the cartoon he could talk to rats.

Good to know!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 6/16/2022 at 11:37 AM, Turtle said:

I'll spoiler this, but it's a question about Rat King from volume 4, regarding Splinter:

Spoiler

Did we ever find out why he was there at the moment of Splinter's death? 

On 6/16/2022 at 1:07 PM, Cat said:

I'll spoiler this, but it's a question about Rat King from volume 4, regarding Splinter:

Hide contents

Did we ever find out why he was there at the moment of Splinter's death? 

Spoiler

I believe it was because clone splinter was again being offered the opportunity to be the new rat king upon his death.  So his ghost was there to hear splinters decision. But we never found out what he chose.

On 6/16/2022 at 4:54 PM, TMNT said:

By complete chance, I've picked up a few Rat King pieces recently, including toys, art and a couple cels from the show I need to take a pic of. He was always a favorite villian of mines in all iterations.

Here's the toy:

20220505_205900.thumb.jpg.2b56d22702c809f6297e22e4037857a4.jpg

It's been a blast picking these up again, coming full circle to what started my collecting in the first place. Only this time, having graded versions that present so nicely. Just a few more figures and I'll have all of Series 1 and 2. Then I stop! :insane:

I always loved that figure - I think mine is still somewhere at my parents', although I'm sure the accessories are long gone...

We had one surplus store (like a Farm and Fleet, but not a chain) at the edge of town and they would carry some of the figures. I used to get my paper route money, bike out there to check out new figs, and then bike to the drugstore to check out new comics and baseball card packs. I also spent way too much money on those sticker books where you'd buy the book and then buy the sticker packs for a quarter a pack and always get way too many doubles.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 6/16/2022 at 6:17 PM, Ozonetv said:

About a year ago I picked this signed poster up at an estate sale, and when I opened up the back of the frame, and a bunch of signed flats fell out...I believe the poster was a promotion for TMNT 8

image.thumb.jpeg.9699d4ec3ce0bff1660e565a82242426.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.26307ec1f11ad9c1544e07cfc7957f27.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f406cdfa7903d1900b0e417badcddb2a.jpeg

That's a cool poster!  I don't know where it was first used, but I have a slight variation on it:

734884397_TMNTEastmanLaird-SouthernDutchessNews.thumb.jpg.1a275ec5d87221c9ece6003e62b0ab85.jpg

I think it's super cool that you have those old-school Jim Lawson signatures on them. 

On 6/16/2022 at 6:17 PM, Ozonetv said:

About a year ago I picked this signed poster up at an estate sale, and when I opened up the back of the frame, and a bunch of signed flats fell out...I believe the poster was a promotion for TMNT 8

image.thumb.jpeg.9699d4ec3ce0bff1660e565a82242426.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.26307ec1f11ad9c1544e07cfc7957f27.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f406cdfa7903d1900b0e417badcddb2a.jpeg

Also, @Turtle

Here's Peter's explanation of the poster:

This is a bit of an odd one. We produced this poster to promote the publication of **TMNT #8, the issue which featured a crossover adventure with Dave Sim's great character Cerebus the Aardvark. Kevin Eastman was a huge fan of Cerebus and Sim, and really pushed hard to get this project together. Dave was amenable to it, and turned in some great stuff -- he did all the drawing of Cerebus in that issue as well as Cerebus' very witty dialogue.

As I recall, for some reason Kevin only penciled this image, and I got the job of not only inking it but coloring it as well. This was pretty unusual, as typically Kevin would handle color jobs of this nature. And given that this one involved Cerebus, it's especially surprising he didn't do this one. I don't remember all the details as to how I ended up doing this work, but it was fun, and I used a technique I was enjoying at the time of using acetate overlays to do wacky color backgrounds, mixing various color inks with salt to achieve some interesting effects. "--*** PL

@Turtle You have a Comics Buyers Guide poster that Southern Dutchess News paid to insert.  

On 6/17/2022 at 11:36 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Also, @Turtle

Here's Peter's explanation of the poster:

This is a bit of an odd one. We produced this poster to promote the publication of **TMNT #8, the issue which featured a crossover adventure with Dave Sim's great character Cerebus the Aardvark. Kevin Eastman was a huge fan of Cerebus and Sim, and really pushed hard to get this project together. Dave was amenable to it, and turned in some great stuff -- he did all the drawing of Cerebus in that issue as well as Cerebus' very witty dialogue.

As I recall, for some reason Kevin only penciled this image, and I got the job of not only inking it but coloring it as well. This was pretty unusual, as typically Kevin would handle color jobs of this nature. And given that this one involved Cerebus, it's especially surprising he didn't do this one. I don't remember all the details as to how I ended up doing this work, but it was fun, and I used a technique I was enjoying at the time of using acetate overlays to do wacky color backgrounds, mixing various color inks with salt to achieve some interesting effects. "--*** PL

@Turtle You have a Comics Buyers Guide poster that Southern Dutchess News paid to insert.  

I've seen this with a centerfold and text on it - I assume this was from some sort of a Con that Kevin (and others - but not Peter?) attended and was sold flat - and possibly trimmed so there was no text

Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 9.29.10 AM.png

On 6/18/2022 at 9:31 AM, Ozonetv said:

I've seen this with a centerfold and text on it - I assume this was from some sort of a Con that Kevin (and others - but not Peter?) attended and was sold flat - and possibly trimmed so there was no text

Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 9.29.10 AM.png

The folded ones are the ones that actually made it into the cbg. Kevin and Peter did the original to promote the book (tmnt 8) then they licensed southern dutchess to make their own, for branding purposes. About 15(maybe more) years ago some guy showed up on eBay with a stack of unfolded ones (I assume leftovers they overproduced) and sold those off. Honestly, I’ve seen more unfolded than folded ones at this point, but they’re the same poster (basically, circulated vs uncirculated).

On 6/18/2022 at 12:49 PM, Turtle said:

Great information!  Thanks for posting!

If I recall, the one I have was an ebay purchase, a bonus add-on to a lot where the main draw was a graded copy of TMNT #4 Error edition.  I still have the poster and the book.  I took them both to NYCC '09 and got them signed by Kevin and Pete.  It ended up being the last big show that Peter Laird attended before selling the property to Nick later that year and largely retiring from the convention scene.

1861212366_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles04-2ndPrintVariantSS9.6.thumb.jpg.893da8c5ba047868908a7ad4031d3388.jpg

One of the few turtles books I still don’t have in my collection:(