• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,291 posts in this topic

On 12/29/2021 at 4:55 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Random question for someone more professional than I with Turtles stuff.

I picked up a second print of issue 2. Looks great but the cover paper quality seems off to the touch. Is this just the way it was back in ‘85? Or did people fake this issue sometimes like they did with number 1? Just curious 

8DFB0D36-A766-42F6-80FD-14DD1F8355A7.jpeg

F2EF4073-FD0C-4145-A257-6D1BF60BE130.jpeg

The second print has a matte stock as opposed to glossy. 

On 12/29/2021 at 4:55 PM, SpideyFein said:

Wowza. Very nice. I agree on the Casey. He just wants to kick some a.. That mask is always crazy too. 
Was this given because you donated to the project? That’s a nice Christmas gift!!!

Yes, it was a perk for a certain donation level.  He had all kinds of levels going from small marker sketches inside the sketchbook all the way up to these 2-figure paintings with about 10 levels in between.  Something for everyone!

On 12/29/2021 at 10:45 PM, Turtle said:

Yes, it was a perk for a certain donation level.  He had all kinds of levels going from small marker sketches inside the sketchbook all the way up to these 2-figure paintings with about 10 levels in between.  Something for everyone!

Spectacular!! What another outstanding piece in your collection. Love Bisley's take on Casey (though never been too crazy a fun of his Turtles.) His style is definitely perfect for Casey though. Well done  and what a great way to end the year!

Is there a general opinion on having Kevin Eastman sign TMNT books that he didn't work on? Like Mirage Studio 'Guest Era' books? I know Kevin will sign them, but should I have it done?

Edited by JDNYC
typo

On 12/30/2021 at 4:00 PM, JDNYC said:

Is there a general opinion on having Kevin Eastman sign TMNT books that he didn't work on? Like Mirage Studio 'Guest Era' books? I know Kevin will sign them, but should I have it done?

Since he co-created the Turtles themselves, I think it's justified. 

They are very common, but I tend to avoid having Kevin or Peter sign unless they had a direct hand in creating the issue.

Many Guest Era books can be signed by the relevant creator(s) if you keep an eye on Convention appearances.  I’ve seen SS of Zulli, Farley, Martin, Howarth, Bode, and more.  I think the only ones I don’t remember seeing were Heddon/McWeeney and Rick Arthur.

I think having the less common, more relevant creator signature is way cooler than an Eastman sig on a Guest Era book.  My 2c 

Rule 1. It's your book.  Do with it whatever makes you happy.

Rule 2.  Kevin Eastman is the Copper Age Stan Lee.  There are so many of his signature, it doesn't increase the value at all (this is coming from a guy with literally hundreds of Kevin's signature.)

What am I missing here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353838906231?hash=item5262713b77%3Ag%3AL7IAAOSwjB5h0hVw&LH_Auction=1

TMNT 6 at $90 on 21 bids ending tomorrow. This is way higher than other recent sales of higher-grade copies. Just wondering if something made this pop or if this is just a lucky fluke for the seller?

I just received a copy of TMNT volume 4 #32 to finally complete my run of volume 4 - very happy! I have noticed issue 32 is ever so slightly smaller than the others? It looks legit, other than size is a few mm's smaller than the others in the series, but I am slightly anxious I have a fake/self printed copy. I'd feel a bit more relieved if others were able to let me know that theirs are smaller too? Thanks guys :) 

On 1/14/2022 at 10:13 AM, sorrenmj said:

I just received a copy of TMNT volume 4 #32 to finally complete my run of volume 4 - very happy! I have noticed issue 32 is ever so slightly smaller than the others? It looks legit, other than size is a few mm's smaller than the others in the series, but I am slightly anxious I have a fake/self printed copy. I'd feel a bit more relieved if others were able to let me know that theirs are smaller too? Thanks guys :) 

I no longer own any of the final four v4 issues, but I don't recall a size difference in #32. 

On 1/19/2022 at 3:47 AM, Turtle said:

I just happened to have a measuring tape on my desk while I came across this question.  Measuring the last 4 issues of Volume 4:

#29, #30, & #31 were all 6 5/8"

#32 was 6 1/2"

So yes, #32 was a little narrower than the issues right before it.  This was consistent across multiple copies, all of which were purchased directly from Steve Lavigne at Shellback Artworks when they were released, so I know they're legit copies.  I'll also mention that I've never heard of any counterfeit copies of these issues.  All that said, all signs point to your copy being just fine. 

And for the heck of it, a group shot:

IMG_8940.thumb.jpg.f50d13e37a533990e5e60fb10ffcbcaa.jpg

I feel much more reassured now, thank you @Turtle! Perhaps issue 32 was printed differently since it was for a 30th anniversary event, rather than for the market in the way issues 29 and 30 were?

On 1/19/2022 at 3:47 AM, Turtle said:

I just happened to have a measuring tape on my desk while I came across this question.  Measuring the last 4 issues of Volume 4:

#29, #30, & #31 were all 6 5/8"

#32 was 6 1/2"

So yes, #32 was a little narrower than the issues right before it.  This was consistent across multiple copies, all of which were purchased directly from Steve Lavigne at Shellback Artworks when they were released, so I know they're legit copies.  I'll also mention that I've never heard of any counterfeit copies of these issues.  All that said, all signs point to your copy being just fine. 

And for the heck of it, a group shot:

IMG_8940.thumb.jpg.f50d13e37a533990e5e60fb10ffcbcaa.jpg

What an awesome set of comics to have scattered on the table!

On 1/19/2022 at 4:17 PM, sorrenmj said:

I feel much more reassured now, thank you @Turtle! Perhaps issue 32 was printed differently since it was for a 30th anniversary event, rather than for the market in the way issues 29 and 30 were?

One likely reason for the sizing difference of #32 is that it was actually printed a year before #31 was printed.  Peter released issue #31 digitally only at first.  Then, for FCBD 2014 he made printed copies of #32 - and then later released it digitally.  Fans wanted a printed copy of #31 to go with #32 so he made printed copies of #31 for FCBD 2015.

Below are some links with information about issues #31 & #32 directly from Peter Laird's blog.  Also, within issue #32, Peter mentions wanting to print copies of #31 eventually (obviously meaning that #31 hadn't yet been printed when #32 was printed).  For sure some odd history for these last two books.

On 1/20/2022 at 7:09 PM, rich_TMNT said:

One likely reason for the sizing difference of #32 is that it was actually printed a year before #31 was printed.  Peter released issue #31 digitally only at first.  Then, for FCBD 2014 he made printed copies of #32 - and then later released it digitally.  Fans wanted a printed copy of #31 to go with #32 so he made printed copies of #31 for FCBD 2015.

Below are some links with information about issues #31 & #32 directly from Peter Laird's blog.  Also, within issue #32, Peter mentions wanting to print copies of #31 eventually (obviously meaning that #31 hadn't yet been printed when #32 was printed).  For sure some odd history for these last two books.

Excellent thanks @rich_TMNT! I’ll have fun reading through Peter Laird’s blog

On 1/31/2022 at 11:30 AM, ThothAmon said:

Here’s my table. Just graded!

950343C8-9561-4FF9-8322-C83DFA320E71.jpeg

The 9.4 senior hombres! Wonderful 💋 I've done the 9.4 on #3 and have yet to pick up a #4. That #2 1st print is the business for me! Lowly 9.8 2nd print on my end. Those would be a dream come true! Especially something back from cgc. Working hard or hardly working. The rewards speak fruitfully for themselves!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I got another TMNT #1 homage back not long ago.  This is a #1 reprint in German given out as a FCBD book in 2020:

1360293088_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles01German.thumb.jpg.87595875ca3f6612c1b1a9347d70884d.jpg

For kicks, I ended up plotting out the number of TMNT #1 cover homages or straight up copies/reprints I'm aware of per year.  This cover wasn't used a whole heck of a lot in the early years.  The first notable spike was in 2007 when the CGI TMNT movie came out and there were 2 nearly identical sneak peek books, a collected edition, and a Gamestop preorder bonus that all used this cover in some way. 

Then 2009 had 3 before the sale from Mirage to Nickelodeon: the standard sized FCBD reprint (the best FCBD book ever in my opinion), the error version of the color reprint, and then the corrected one later put out.  These color reprints were the last books put out by Mirage before the sale.  IDW licensed the property and started the new comics in 2011 and things really got out of hand.

2021 looks ridiculous, but it's largely because Dynamite did a run of issues in November and December that accounted for 16 homages spanning 8 different titles with 2 variants for each title...all by the same artist.  This definitely skews the data a bit.  Outside of that, 2015 was the biggest year for this cover.  It saw at least 4 variants of Do You Pooh? books, Squarriors, TMNT Color Classics (reprinting issue #50, itself an homage), an Ottawa convention variant, and a Hot Comics variant to celebrate issue #50. 

image.png.8699e9fa950da313efabe839e14ae198.png

All this information is truly trivial, but maybe someone other than me will find it at least a little interesting. 

And before anyone asks, I ended up plotting Ronin #1 as the 1983 issue, since the cover to TMNT #1 is itself an homage to that book.

Edited by Turtle

I should also mention this only includes books that CGC can grade.  I might update the list to add bigger books.  There are a few hardcover books and treasury books that can be added to the list as well.