• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,294 posts in this topic

Did anyone see that Kevin is selling a copy of TMNT #1 1st printing signed by Kevin & Peter? It's CGC 8.0 white pages but the key is that the provenance of this copy is known and the signatures are authenticated. That's a hard thing to authenticate these days with so many of the TMNT #1 1st printings for sale out there already CGC-slabbed.

1front_forweb.jpg

To be clear the signatures are not authenticated by CGC. It just states the names on the label "Kevin Eastman" and "Peter Laird" written in pen And marker on the inside cover or first page. I really can't make it out.

They are most likely real sigs but these are not authenticated.

Great book either way.

Edited by PeasOfCrap

To be clear the signatures are not authenticated by CGC. It just states the names on the label "Kevin Eastman" and "Peter Laird" written in pen And marker on the inside cover or first page. I really can't make it out.

They are most likely real sigs but these are not authenticated.

Great book either way.

Right. They aren't authenticated by CGC and that's the whole point that makes this copy so unique. Kevin is the one authenticating the signatures because he gave this copy to his friend (who is now selling it). This is a pretty cool perk to have with a graded copy. Many of the TMNT #1 1st printings are slabbed like this one but since you can't see the signatures, you can only go by what CGC says on the label. Any dude can write "Kevin Eastman" or "Peter Laird" on the inside and then send it to CGC to get graded. The label will say the same regardless of whether they are real or fake.

Back from CGC:

image.jpg1_zps1cgunmqn.jpg

I personally think the grade is high but I won't argue.

Someone brought that book into cleveland a few weeks ago. I really wanted it but didnt want the other books. I would have probably had to pay a buttload for all the garbage books he had just to get that one book. 1cool was there with me. Told him about it. Really dissapointed i didnt get it.

Was it graded? Did you make him an offer on just the one book?

Just put up this fella that showed up yesterday... Raphael Page 1!! :cloud9:

This didn't get nearly enough attention, so I'm quoting it.

Fantastic acquisition, Danny! Unbelievable at times, but really stellar!

Back from CGC:

Someone brought that book into cleveland a few weeks ago. I really wanted it but didnt want the other books. I would have probably had to pay a buttload for all the garbage books he had just to get that one book. 1cool was there with me. Told him about it. Really dissapointed i didnt get it.

Made an offer on the 1 book. Wasnt graded. It wasnt a collector. Someone who found 100 or so comics and thought they had hit the jackpot.

Edited by youmechooz

I've got a mini-collection going of all published TMNT books that pay homage to Kevin Eastman's iconic #1 cover. The collection was started unintentionally, but it's been fun. Here are a few new ones:

TMNT%2033%20Jetpack%20Laird%20Cover.jpgLego%20TMNT%20nn.jpgImage%20Teenage%20Mutant%20Ninja%20Turtles%20nn.jpgTMNT%20Collected%20Movie%20Books%20nn.jpg

I wasn't originally planning on subbing the two TPB's but I was curious to see how they'd slab them. The Image book is in a thick modern sized slab similar to many normal sized comics that sometimes come in thicker slabs. The TMNT Movie TPB is almost comically large. The length and width of the book are the same as any standard modern book, but it's thicker than the rest. It got a magazine-sized slab that's almost twice as thick as a normal magazine slab. It's a little funny looking, but at least I can store it with my other magazine-sized slabs.

Only a few more to go.

Back from CGC:

Made an offer on the 1 book. Wasnt graded. It wasnt a collector. Someone who found 100 or so comics and thought they had hit the jackpot.

Mostly books from the 80's and 90's?

Thanks everybody! I'm through the moon with this pickup and can't wait to get it framed. This one is DEFINITELY heading into my permanent collection... :cloud9:

And awesome books. Such a fun theme you have going there...about how many do you have this point?

Thanks everybody! I'm through the moon with this pickup and can't wait to get it framed. This one is DEFINITELY heading into my permanent collection... :cloud9:

And awesome books. Such a fun theme you have going there...about how many do you have this point?

I just did a count in my photobucket account...it looks like I have 26 unless I miscounted. That's more than I thought! lol Most are graded, some can't be graded. There's only one I can think of that I don't currently have...I thank/hate Ryan for pointing it out.

For the record, I'm not counting these two. While they are inspired by the first cover, the poses aren't there. However, they were close enough for me to want a set. :)

th_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles01SDCC2014.jpgth_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles01SketchSDCC2014.jpg

I'm also not counting this one, as counting original art opens a whole can of worms.

th_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles01RISketchEastman.jpg

The value kind of fluctuates on that issue. It generally isn't sold alone, rather it's in a lot with other books. Based on prices I've seen in the last year or so, I'd consider $75 on the low side and $175 on the high side to be the going rate. Anywhere in that range would be a normal price to me. Beyond that, it's just a matter of how much you want the book.