• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,377 posts in this topic

Is this a real sketch by Peter?

Peter Laird Leo Sketch

The signature looks to be authentic and the sketch itself looks very close...but the coloring job doesn't do anything for it. Could be because it was a rush-job at a con...but if it's real it's not his best work.

Edited by rwhorn

Yeah I don't trust it. Those colors look like something done with grade school markers, which makes me wonder if it wasn't traced from an original or who knows what. Maybe its real but if so its not the one I'd buy. Sig does look good

These were discussed @ the Technodrome

This seller has been selling a good amount of these and they all look exactly the same. We think that it was an original marker sketch that the person made copies of and filled them in with markers. I believe the last few auctions have been removed due to people reporting the item as fake.

But real or not.....its pretty crappy

Other Auctions

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peter-Laird-Michelangelo-TMNT-Teeneage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Original-Sketch-/111561063782?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item19f98ebd66&nma=true&si=1imUk%252BErmz1qRE502XO4ghfoHWc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peter-Laird-Donatello-TMNT-Teeneage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Original-Sketch-/400829707236?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item5d534ff3e4&nma=true&si=1imUk%252BErmz1qRE502XO4ghfoHWc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by nriccijr

Dude, I'm all over those sketches from Laird. I mean seriously, how often would you find a Laird sketch that not only has a colored bandana, but a matching colored cape instead of a shell? SUPER RARE!!! We all know Peter was the forefront of the bandana color differentiation movement, best idea he ever pitched to Playmates...

I'm in awe of how consistent the line work is for each of them, especially the bandana part. It's definitely an added price point to have nearly identical sketches that were drawn six years apart. Maybe the seller was so memorable back in 02' that PL remembered him six years later? Maybe Crayola markers were the only coloring sticks available at the show. Money is tight for many, I don't see PL shelling(pun intended...) out 3 - 5 bucks for those silly Copic markers. Who in their right mind would waste their money on those?

I'm am of the opinion that these sketches were a true Eastman/Laird collaboration. It's somewhat obvious the PL must've done the line work and Shane Eastman did the coloring... Nevermind the fact he wasn't born yet, that's just a coincidental reason to not believe it...

These are definitely collector's pieces. Normally PL draws the standard turtle head and leaves it at that. It's so cool to see the mottled effect of the skin complexion, leading me to believe these were volume 4 inspired sketches showing a bit more of an aged turtle. These could very well be some of the only volume 4-esque pieces of art out there, considering Pete holds all the V. 4 OA except for #32...

Y'all be silly to not scoop these up. I would, but I'm saving up to go to the Mel Brooks school of comedy. I need to save for tuition and work on my written essay submission. Figured this topic would be good practice for the composition... Don't believe the hype

Not sure if people on this list noticed, but those that like the rarest of the rare of Turtles collectibles, I decided to let the following piece go from my collection. I purchased it from Kevin a few years back and comes with a COA from him.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2015feb%26pg%3D10%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%23Item_1044524&id=1044524

I hope the piece finds a good home with someone here. Best of luck to those who bid!

Not sure if people on this list noticed, but those that like the rarest of the rare of Turtles collectibles, I decided to let the following piece go from my collection. I purchased it from Kevin a few years back and comes with a COA from him.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2015feb%26pg%3D10%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%23Item_1044524&id=1044524

I hope the piece finds a good home with someone here. Best of luck to those who bid!

What a neat piece of history you are parting with. Thank-you for the heads up - sharing this. I wish you the best of luck on the sale and it finding a proper TMNT loving home.

(Danny :baiting: ) :grin:

2015 is off to a great start for my TMNT collection. I hope to have some new acquisitions to show off within the next week. In the mean time, I'm reading a few of the TMNT: The Classics TPB's that my family got for me for Christmas. It's cool seeing some of the less mainstream issues get reprinted.

Anybody else reading anything TMNT-related?