• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,293 posts in this topic

Question, Is there a modern day reprinting of the Second print of TMNT #1? I won this auction and just received my comic but it is a small photocopy/reprint of the second printing of #1. On the inside cover there are a lot of blue lines surrounding the borders, they look like chalk lines or something.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ninja-turtles-1-reprint-second-printing-/191511938279

The description is this "this comic is a reprint of the first tmnt comic book in nearly perfect condition" and the title was this - ninja turtles #1 reprint (second printing).

I took this as a TMNT #1 second print but it is a copy of the second printing...?

I asked for a return and the seller is giving me guff about it. Did I get ripped off?

It's the mini comic that comes with the TMNT Ultimate Visual History hardcover.

Got this from a guy as a "throw in" with another piece of comic art that I purchased and I wanted to have you TMNT pro's look at it. Looks legit to me but can anybody offer some feedback on its authenticity? Does it look like a real Laird piece?

photo%201_zpsovhunygx.jpg

photo%202_zps6gp1cw86.jpg

Got this from a guy as a "throw in" with another piece of comic art that I purchased and I wanted to have you TMNT pro's look at it. Looks legit to me but can anybody offer some feedback on its authenticity? Does it look like a real Laird piece?

Looks good to me.

2nd that

-----

"do you concur...?"

"um"

-walks away

"why didn't I concur?!?"

-----

Question, Is there a modern day reprinting of the Second print of TMNT #1? I won this auction and just received my comic but it is a small photocopy/reprint of the second printing of #1. On the inside cover there are a lot of blue lines surrounding the borders, they look like chalk lines or something.

The description is this "this comic is a reprint of the first tmnt comic book in nearly perfect condition" and the title was this - ninja turtles #1 reprint (second printing).

I took this as a TMNT #1 second print but it is a copy of the second printing...?

I asked for a return and the seller is giving me guff about it. Did I get ripped off?

Sorry to hear this..Yes, unfortunately you did get ripped off. I just received the Ultimate Visual History yesterday (from amazon for $36), and upon scanning the included comic, I had the thought that it would be easy for a scammer to pull one over on people on ebay because the book looks pretty accurate in a scan.

The ebay listing is very vague, but it definitely comes across like they are selling it as a bonafide 2nd printing. It's always possible the seller is unaware of this new printing (as I was until a few weeks ago), but anyone who knows a little about TMNT comics should know this isn't the original when it's in hand. The dead giveaway is that it's smaller in size than the original. Don't get me wrong, it's a great reprint and probably the most accurate one to date (it even has the Gobbledygook ad). But a "true" second printing it is not.

In the future, when finding a second printing on Ebay, make sure it has the "speck" above Raphael's head, which all original second printings have (and this reprint does not have). Refer to this post: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6938800#Post6938800

:censored:

Just when I think I've got them all, another comes out of the woodwork!

Question, Is there a modern day reprinting of the Second print of TMNT #1?

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear about this. I would definitely try to return this to the seller.

Back in May, 2014 I had posted some comments about this reprint on The Technodrome Forums and my concern that it didn't truly represent either a 1st or 2nd printing...it was a hybrid. See the details here if you're interested:

Post 125 - rich

Post 126 - ArchonTurtle

Post 127 - rich

:censored:

Just when I think I've got them all, another comes out of the woodwork!

I feel that pain.

I've got one you can have for a great price!! :)

But yeah, that sucks. I hate feeling ripped off. I think it may have been on purpose too which makes it worse. I have asked for a refund but the seller states it was posted accurately. I disagree...to me when you say reprint (second printing) that means its a second printing...I thought at first it was a fake. Oh well, live and learn. I thought getting a second printing for $130 was too good to be true, but sometimes you get lucky.

Sorry dude. I really don't know what goes through sellers' minds when they try scams like this. It will be obvious when the buyer receives it that it's not what they thought they were getting. Why risk the negative feedback and your reputation?

This printing was made from brand new shots of the original art taken in 2013, which apparently gives it more detail than the original printings.

Here is the author of the Ultimate Visual History (Andrew Farago)'s statement about the "2nd printing" on the inside front cover of the new printing:

"the first print of the book had the Kirby/Miller dedication, but Eastman (or Laird) wrote "Second Printing/June 1984" on the original artwork for that page. Since that's the art we shot for Ultimate Visual History, that's the version that made it into the book."

Well, my little 9.6 SS run is coming along nicely and still having fun with it. The latest pickup from Spideyfein was a nice addition so thank you kind sir! (thumbs u

Below is my #1 (2nd print), #3, #4... just need #2 (1st) to fill the missing space! :pullhair:

WP_20150226_003_zpsciyiami7.jpg

Well, my little 9.6 SS run is coming along nicely and still having fun with it. The latest pickup from Spideyfein was a nice addition so thank you kind sir! (thumbs u

Below is my #1 (2nd print), #3, #4... just need #2 (1st) to fill the missing space! :pullhair:

WP_20150226_003_zpsciyiami7.jpg

Now you know because you put up that group shot I have to go heavy and look for a 2. I now want to fill the hole as much as you do (didn't sound right lol )

The set in SS9.6 does look mighty sweet though.

Back from CGC:

image.jpg1_zps1cgunmqn.jpg

I personally think the grade is high but I won't argue.

Someone brought that book into cleveland a few weeks ago. I really wanted it but didnt want the other books. I would have probably had to pay a buttload for all the garbage books he had just to get that one book. 1cool was there with me. Told him about it. Really dissapointed i didnt get it.