• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,293 posts in this topic

A little over 4 hours to go an still at $700... hope someone here wins it (and it goes for a little more than that).

I've had some PMs from some of you about the book. If you have any last minute questions, feel free to ping me!

With a little over 2 days to go in the ComicLink auction, the Gobbledygook Prototype #1 comic is only up to $700 in bidding. I'm hoping people on this forum haven't forgotten about it :)

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dgobbledygook%26x%3D5%26y%3D14%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1044524&id=1044524

I figured auction was the best way to sell it as there are no equivalents on the market. But is is rarer than the Turtlemania Golds and you essentially get what was in Gobbledygook #1 & 2 all in one issue with some changes. I would think it's worth at least as much as a regular Gobbledygook #1, but I guess we'll see after the auction ends. Good luck and hopefully it'll find a new home here.

Ended at $4605. Thanks to all that bid in the final hours. I hope that someone here won and enjoys!

Not shabby for a low grade 1980s book with no staples!

It's a good number and it could be the single wisest long term hold for any collector.

It's a good number and it could be the single wisest long term hold for any collector.

It's definitely an interesting bit of Mirage history thats for sure. By and large, the main reason for the desire (and dollar value) for the original run of Gobbledygooks 1 & 2 is the presence on the back cover of the TMNT ad (that many argue is the first appearance of the TMNT). These protos do not feature that key back cover image, front cover as well, and the guts are similiar but still different. So I can't help but wonder what exactly the ceiling on these might be longterm. No doubt with just a few copies out there there will always be demand...but I can't help but feel these are more Mirage Studios history than Turtles history, which I know are nearly one and the same, but still not quite. Theres a bunch of pre-tmnt Eastman and Laird work out there that go for comparative pennies (even though while not quite as limited as these, still with VERY low print runs) and I honestly can't help but feel that these protos are more akin to that work than the TMNT. I'm sure im in the minority on this, and I didn't want to say anything to potentially spoil the auction with my thoughts before it ended, but I just can't help but shake this sort of strange reaction I have to the book. I've had it ever since it was first offered to me and I can't quite put my finger on it. (shrug)

Regardless, its an uber rare book which is still a very cool thing!

It's definitely an interesting bit of Mirage history thats for sure. By and large, the main reason for the desire (and dollar value) for the original run of Gobbledygooks 1 & 2 is the presence on the back cover of the TMNT ad (that many argue is the first appearance of the TMNT). These protos do not feature that key back cover image, front cover as well, and the guts are similiar but still different. So I can't help but wonder what exactly the ceiling on these might be longterm. No doubt with just a few copies out there there will always be demand...but I can't help but feel these are more Mirage Studios history than Turtles history, which I know are nearly one and the same, but still not quite. Theres a bunch of pre-tmnt Eastman and Laird work out there that go for comparative pennies (even though while not quite as limited as these, still with VERY low print runs) and I honestly can't help but feel that these protos are more akin to that work than the TMNT. I'm sure im in the minority on this, and I didn't want to say anything to potentially spoil the auction with my thoughts before it ended, but I just can't help but shake this sort of strange reaction I have to the book. I've had it ever since it was first offered to me and I can't quite put my finger on it. (shrug)

As you pointed out it may very well turn out to be more Mirage Studios history than Turtles history...but to me, it's value, not its cost, is derived from being an "uber rare" and historical piece, and that is why I believe it to be a fantastic purchase for the winning bidder.

Well the regular non proto gooks are really just mirage history too. That, and an error made ages ago in the guide of calling them the first turtles appearances which they clearly are not. That being said they ARE the first appearance of fugitoid and in that sense the first appearance of part of the turtles universe. And these protos have that going on for them, and are extra rare to boot.

Let's not confuse the gooks (proto or otherwise) as having anything other than an indirect connection to the turtles. IMO the turtles ads in the regular gooks are of no value and should be disregarded entirely. So whether they are there or not makes no difference to me and I suspect to many. Given the choice between the very rare mirage book and the uber rare proto book Id take the proto every time. I've said it before but there is no cover price on the gooks for a reason - they were never for sale. They aren't even comic books in the normal sense, AFAIK. They are promotional giveaways.

Danny quite honestly if I had to guess Id say what weirds you out is the cover. Looks more like a family Christmas card than a turtle comic, yes? I get that to an extent and I view the cover as a detraction but to me the increased rarity offsets it. 2c

it's value, not its cost, is derived from being an "uber rare" and historical piece, and that is why I believe it to be a fantastic purchase for the winning bidder.

And for me that is THE reason why it would be a great purchase. (thumbs u

Well the regular non proto gooks are really just mirage history too. That, and an error made ages ago in the guide of calling them the first turtles appearances which they clearly are not. That being said they ARE the first appearance of fugitoid and in that sense the first appearance of part of the turtles universe. And these protos have that going on for them, and are extra rare to boot.

Let's not confuse the gooks (proto or otherwise) as having anything other than an indirect connection to the turtles. IMO the turtles ads in the regular gooks are of no value and should be disregarded entirely. So whether they are there or not makes no difference to me and I suspect to many. Given the choice between the very rare mirage book and the uber rare proto book Id take the proto every time. I've said it before but there is no cover price on the gooks for a reason - they were never for sale. They aren't even comic books in the normal sense, AFAIK. They are promotional giveaways.

Danny quite honestly if I had to guess Id say what weirds you out is the cover. Looks more like a family Christmas card than a turtle comic, yes? I get that to an extent and I view the cover as a detraction but to me the increased rarity offsets it. 2c

And in that regards, I agree I am a complete simpleton! :insane: I've always felt these were the first appearances as for me a first appearance is when a character clearly first appeared in a book...simple as that. So whether an ad, a panel at the bottom of Hulk 180 (oh wait thats a cameo!), etc for me its when the characters first appeared before the bemused eyes of Joe Consumer. But trust me, I KNOW I'm in the deep minority on this. When I was collecting hardcore, these books were prized for that back cover...not the fugitoid, triceratons, federation 1st appearances. Don't get me wrong, as a completionist they would have had an important part of my collection and would have been required for me to get...but they would not have been top dogs without that back ad. Put another way, were the insides ALL that other eastman/laird filler material and had only the back cover image I still would have put it near the top of the heap for me. The fugitoid material was all just wonderful bonues. Just the way this particular TMNT fan sees things.

And yea that cover is bit strange, but honestly, with a title like GOBBLEDYGOOK what would be an appropriate image! lol

Oh and Dan, since the lack of cover price and all that don't mark this as a comic book in your eyes, this can't be Fugitoid's first appearance by conventional accepted "1st appearace" standards correct? The rules regarding 1st appearance confuse me.... :insane:

As you pointed out it may very well turn out to be more Mirage Studios history than Turtles history...but to me, it's value, not its cost, is derived from being an "uber rare" and historical piece, and that is why I believe it to be a fantastic purchase for the winning bidder.

I see both sides and agree. There's a ambiguity for sure with these books. Everyone's taste's and rationale's differ, which is why I love this stuff. Personally, I wouldn't care for the back cover as much as the interior pages. But, that's just me, the guy who has Barbaric Fantasy #1 slabbed, and only a 3rd print of TMNT #1 raw. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no doubt. It's a great thought to know how diverse we can all be coming to the same conclusion, that the Gook's are BADASS!

I would consider the regular gooks to be the legit first appearance of the TMNT, and would consider the hulk 180 page to be the first wolverine appearance also. To me, a cameo is an appearance of the character, but not the whole figure(panel with a partial shot of said character). It would also be, but not limited to, a shot of the character, whole figure of not, but no mention of said character or info within the page stating who the character is. I consider my TMNT v.1 #52 page with a head shot panel of Karai to be a cameo appearence. No info or full figure is disclosed on the page itself, just some dialog. Solely my 2 cents speaking...

15630406638_0edc3a50bf_z.jpg

-----

And that Martin Group shot is amazing Adam! He definitely put love into that piece. I'm glad because a year ago, he was completely heading in the direction of giving up on them, and I can understand why. Repetition can make one dwell in the past and Mark's a very forward thinker. Not to shamelessly self promote, but I advise anyone with interest to jump on his commission's soon. Freelance artist's can change course's abruptly sometimes. Sails head where the $ heads...

I have been slacking on Mark too much lately. I have a ton of FS pages to upload onto CAF(sorry no turtles), thanks for the motivating kick in the pants! I honestly think I like that group illos more than you're awesome group collab of the #1 redo. Call me crazy, most do...

Bottom line, that's one of those turtle pieces that would attract anybody to TMNT fandom. Adam, yet again, lives up to his reputation as "The Commish"!!!

I would consider the regular gooks to be the legit first appearance of the TMNT, and would consider the hulk 180 page to be the first wolverine appearance also. To me, a cameo is an appearance of the character, but not the whole figure(panel with a partial shot of said character). It would also be, but not limited to, a shot of the character, whole figure of not, but no mention of said character or info within the page stating who the character is. I consider my TMNT v.1 #52 page with a head shot panel of Karai to be a cameo appearence. No info or full figure is disclosed on the page itself, just some dialog. Solely my 2 cents speaking...

Well put - totally concur (thumbs u

Question, Is there a modern day reprinting of the Second print of TMNT #1? I won this auction and just received my comic but it is a small photocopy/reprint of the second printing of #1. On the inside cover there are a lot of blue lines surrounding the borders, they look like chalk lines or something.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ninja-turtles-1-reprint-second-printing-/191511938279

The description is this "this comic is a reprint of the first tmnt comic book in nearly perfect condition" and the title was this - ninja turtles #1 reprint (second printing).

I took this as a TMNT #1 second print but it is a copy of the second printing...?

I asked for a return and the seller is giving me guff about it. Did I get ripped off?