• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,304 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2023 at 8:59 AM, Robot Man said:

A guy came by my booth at the flea market on Sunday with a little red wagon full of these. I’d never seen it and he gave me one. There were a couple hundred of them as well as a pretty similar amount of Air Pirates Funnies #1. They guy had brought them to sell to somebody. He gave me one of each. Apparently, they had originated from Gary Arlington in the Bay Area. And this guy bought them from the guy that got them from Gary (or his estate).

Just a bit of information for everybody. The market is about to be flooded with tons of unread copies…

IMG_6588.jpeg

Nice, I've been looking for an Air Pirates Funnies 1 for a while now.  They turn up often enough on the bay in my range but people keep beating me to them.

Edited by OtherEric

What about copies of Air Pirates #2?

Did the copies sport what appears to be rusty staples as pictured on the Three Fisted Tales?

Glad I sold my dupe AP#1. Don't have to rush to replace it now!

Scored this today at my LCS using some trade credit. Was amazed to find very few copies on line and the ones that are there are asking some big bux!!! Nice to have a back-up for trade or cash in the near term!!!

crumbcompendium_1024x.thumb.webp.a9b841d2ef42497cd5f8e39f5be577b0.webp

My stopping point for that run was the last comic book size issue, #10. I have a few of the magazines that I picked up out of bargain boxes, etc. but I never really warmed to that run like I did, say, Arcade,  RAW or Weirdo. I'd still pick up the ones I don't have should I come across them at a nice price, but I'm not in pursuit! Glad you were able to assuage your desire forthwith! Looks like a nice run of funnies!

On 5/23/2023 at 4:20 PM, wpbooks01 said:

What about copies of Air Pirates #2?

Did the copies sport what appears to be rusty staples as pictured on the Three Fisted Tales?

Glad I sold my dupe AP#1. Don't have to rush to replace it now!

Scored this today at my LCS using some trade credit. Was amazed to find very few copies on line and the ones that are there are asking some big bux!!! Nice to have a back-up for trade or cash in the near term!!!

crumbcompendium_1024x.thumb.webp.a9b841d2ef42497cd5f8e39f5be577b0.webp

Never saw this R Crumb cover before , like👍

On 6/2/2023 at 11:03 PM, wpbooks01 said:

My stopping point for that run was the last comic book size issue, #10. I have a few of the magazines that I picked up out of bargain boxes, etc. but I never really warmed to that run like I did, say, Arcade,  RAW or Weirdo. I'd still pick up the ones I don't have should I come across them at a nice price, but I'm not in pursuit! Glad you were able to assuage your desire forthwith! Looks like a nice run of funnies!

As Axe Elf said, I stopped at 12.  Was going to say I didn't bother with a lot of magazine sized UG's, only Arcade, Comix Book, Wonder Wart-Hog, and the magazine sized issue of Junkwaffel...then realized that really was a fair number of the magazine sized UG's!

On 6/3/2023 at 2:08 AM, Axe Elf said:

Well, I thought I had reached my stopping point, with the culmination of my Warren collection, but then...

The same storage box that had those CREEPYs and EERIEs from my high school years also contained my nearly-complete runs of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers and Fat Freddy's Cat titles from college (which I originally posted in this thread HERE--I have since added FFFB #13 and the Free Comic Book Day issues--I really need to scan them some day; these are just pics I took with my phone--but I digress).

Anyway, when I saw a run of the first 9 issues of Rip Off Comix ("1st print"; were there more?) up for sale on daBay, it was the first time I'd seriously considered moving my stopping point.  I have learned about many great titles from my days on these boards, but other than the Warrens, I've been able to content myself with digital editions of most of them--but if the Warrens represented my youth, the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers represented my young adulthood, and I began to sorely covet.

I knew there were like 30 Rip Off Comix, but I thought I had read somewhere that only the first dozen or so were worth getting, and then @OtherEric wrote something about getting all of them that he wanted, even if he didn't have them all, so I consulted with him.  He was able to inform me of the hiatus the magazine took, resulting in no 13th issue, and I was like, "Yep, I think I'd be happy with just getting the first 12," and my stopping point was moved.

The seller was asking more than I wanted to pay at first, but after watching the lot not moving for a while, and a couple of inquiries to the seller, I ended up paying about 70% of the original asking price.  Another two purchases tacked on #10, #11, #12, and an extra #7, for some reason (so if anyone wants a Rip Off Comix #7, I have a spare)--and I reached my stopping point again.

And then I saw pics of later issues of Rip Off Comix with the Brothers on the cover!  So who says I don't need the later issues; I've got to have them all!  ALL, I tell you in the name of God--ALL!!!  And my stopping point moved again...

I managed to find a lot of 14 of the remaining 18 issues in a single lot, for less than $10 each, but after piecing together the last 4 issues from various sellers (including $33 for a #28--all the listings I could find were at least twice that!) I was starting to get some serious sticker shock and some moderate buyer's remorse.

Fortunately, the lot of 14 books were in almost as good condition as my lottery ticket Vampirella lot, so that helped ease the remorse a great deal.  The lot of 9 books isn't in BAD condition, but they're not as minty either.  Ironically, the books I bought individually (and therefore paid the most to get here, with their individual shipping charges and tax) are in the worst condition of the bunch.  Oh well.  So there's about five of them that have some scuffing and corner creasing, but overall, it's a pretty solid run. Besides that I have to say that when I came to college, I had to do a lot of writing, very much helped by this source https://studymoose.com/free-essays/child-observation from where I had read about child observation, it reminded me of the times when I used to collect these cards and I got a melancholy.

And I really hope I have achieved my stopping point again.

(But there's always Famous Monsters of Filmland...)

RipOffComix-AllofEm.thumb.jpg.8cc8c21a44ae53eb587176a7dfc69972.jpg

I must say this was interesting to read, I think you have a very rich history, I also deal with collecting them but I don't have half of them, I think you came up with a good result!

Edited by adiesfowler

Freak Brothers Season 2 has premiered on Tubi (the free streaming platform) with 4 new episodes. 

The humor seems to be more over the top this year for sure, it's very bawdy.

And while it wasn't exactly "A Mexican Odyssey" (certainly among the finest comic book stories ever told), I was glad to see the boys in Mariachi outfits. 

They don't all land, but there's a lot of jokes throughout. I'm happy with it. 

On 6/26/2023 at 6:11 PM, jdandns said:

Freak Brothers Season 2 has premiered on Tubi (the free streaming platform) with 4 new episodes. 

The humor seems to be more over the top this year for sure, it's very bawdy.

And while it wasn't exactly "A Mexican Odyssey" (certainly among the finest comic book stories ever told), I was glad to see the boys in Mariachi outfits. 

They don't all land, but there's a lot of jokes throughout. I'm happy with it. 

Thing I can't stand about that series is that for some reason, they thought it would be a good idea to make Fat Freddy's Cat a black female.

While they're missing a prime opportunity in depicting Fat Freddie's Cat's hilarious-in-the-comics behind view with that change, the character still gets a lot of funny lines, and Tiffany Haddish delivers them well, as she was a stand-up comedian. And while I always thought of Franklin as a little gruffer sounding than Woody Harrelson, the laid back delivery for him is really working. He's pretty much the lead character as this point. Pete Davidson and John Goodman are clearly having fun, too. I'm hoping the trading card set that Cryptozoic has issued promo cards for is actually issued and that they get some autographs from Gilbert Shelton himself, maybe even sketch cards.  

There will be more new episodes (probably 4 of them) in the Fall joining the 12 episodes now available.

Edited by jdandns

On 6/26/2023 at 7:44 PM, jdandns said:

I'm hoping the trading card set that Cryptozoic has issued promo cards for is actually issued and that they get some autographs from Gilbert Shelton himself, maybe even sketch cards.  

Was not aware there were promo cards other than these that have been issued!

20210317_124042.thumb.jpg.929fa8c28affb07f0331901aeec9a2f2.jpg

20210317_124052.thumb.jpg.8ab7095dd1e19cbef25635639e1aea42.jpg

Oh, sure. The ones you showed are from 2 years ago. (You got any extras?)

For 2022, Cryptozoic put on a 4 card foil board set of the main characters at SDCC and then a 2 card set of the new characters, Charlie and Chuck at NYCC.

They promote the upcoming card set as well as the TV series and are numbered P1-P6. 

I'm going to SDCC this year and will go by the Cryptozoic booth. Hopefully, they've made some new ones. (Ellen DeGeneres from this season would be a good one. No, the giant crab!)

On 6/27/2023 at 10:42 PM, jdandns said:

Oh, sure. The ones you showed are from 2 years ago. (You got any extras?)

Actually they're dated 2019 and I only have dupes of the harder to find Fat Freddy's Cat card, which required attendance to the panel to obtain, while packs of the other three were given out as part of a swag bag. Would prefer trade for a dupe, not money so if you have something to suggest, I'm open to it!

20210317_124213.thumb.jpg.78995cd59b2424b59dc34830ebf8336e.jpg

20210317_124203.jpg

On 6/28/2023 at 12:23 PM, wpbooks01 said:

Would prefer trade for a dupe, not money

Dupes will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dupes.