• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,304 posts in this topic

On 6/3/2023 at 8:57 PM, OtherEric said:

Here's something you don't see every day:  A Skip Williamson paperback cover.  As far as I know, this was his only one; even Bode had two:

Weird Show.jpg

This is awesomely 👍🥓

On 6/3/2023 at 8:57 PM, OtherEric said:

Here's something you don't see every day:  A Skip Williamson paperback cover.  As far as I know, this was his only one; even Bode had two:

Weird Show.jpg

That's really nice! Skip's art was one of the reasons I was lured to the underground, many years ago, when I would sneak peaks into my father's Playboy collection. There would be the ocassional Snappy Sammy Smoot strip.

I've posted scans of some rare comix that he did (Artistic and Snuk) over on Fogel's group on Facebook a while back: https://www.facebook.com/groups/110711732384797

I attended a book presentation with Crumb in Lucca, Italy, a few years ago,
and he commented with disdain that somebody at Playboy (Hefner himself?) had demanded 
that Kurtzman redraw some details of some of his tables.

For sure, Kurtzman was a giant, and Crumb's respect is deserved and due.

Edited by ug18

On 9/13/2023 at 12:11 AM, OtherEric said:

This thread has been quiet too long.  Today's addition to my UG collection:

Grim Wit 2.jpg

Very nice! Love this cover and that bright magenta really makes it stand out. I always imagined this cover was the aftermath of the scene above…

Anomaly # 4.jpg

On 8/5/2023 at 1:06 PM, OtherEric said:

Crumb has always bent over backwards to promote Kurtzman, it seems.  He even did an original page for a Little Annie Fanny on Underground Newspapers, and Kurtzman's Strange Adventures has an illustrated intro by Crumb.  I don't think anything other than Kurtzman would get Crumb to do work that was published by either Playboy or Marvel Comics.

Kurtzman_Strange_Adventures.thumb.jpg.513c068e9aaac2026f324421294e2b5c.jpg

Funny cool cover😂😂

The paper, man, it's bad.  The underground papers and tabloids aren't that old but are already in dire shape.  The damn hippies didn't treat them well in the first place and the paper is thin, low grade newsprint.  Then you consider the fact that most people wouldn't hesitate to fold them to put them away and all that pulp just sits there in the fold eating away.  An unfolded copy of one of these would be amazing to have. I've got a couple in better shape than this, but this cover makes it my favorite. 

The first two comics I ever remember reading at about seven years of age were an early Fantastic Four and a Mr. Natural that my stepdad had.  I've been far more influenced by that Mr. Natural :banana:

Looking forward to checking out this thread -

On 9/18/2023 at 5:37 PM, Darwination said:

My undergrounds are gonna mostly be brown, grubby, and likely falling to pieces :)

They're still the best comics ever.

GothicBlimpWorks02-Page01-Crumb.thumb.jpg.a77d91f4085cb6408fefb4f22e1fdc04.jpg

https://archive.org/details/gothic-blimp-works-02-1969-darwin-ia

https://www.mediafire.com/file_premium/d4af6f267t4eyxx/Gothic_Blimp_Works_02_%281969%29_%28DarWINation-DREGS%29.cbr/file