• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,304 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2023 at 10:28 AM, rjpb said:

I finally bit the bullet and picked up a Plymell Zap #1. The irony is I'll probably unload my UG collection in the next year as I plan to move abroad upon retirement, but even just having it for a while is cool.

zap 1.jpeg

Congratulations on the great book and pending move! Great uncut cover. Let this one be a symbol of your upcoming change ️ 

Hey guys, working on selling my comix. I have this piece that I bought off eBay a long time ago. It’s not original art, but a copy on Kodak paper that was hand colored, which you can tell in person. First of all, I’m wondering what it was used for and who colored it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

D82011F1-F5A6-4210-814C-789E71FEFBC6.jpeg

925C87F6-208C-4C4D-B1D4-37473F9A9DCA.jpeg

On 4/27/2023 at 2:27 AM, swebbvella said:

The comic appeared in Zap #1. It was also reprinted in Head Comix. Perhaps this is a pre-production proof of some sort?

It was colored by hand by someone. The pencil art itself is of course a photocopy. Wondering if it might be “color art” like many comic companies used. They would photocopy the original pencils and then the colorist would use paints to color the photocopy and use that in the production of the comic.

On 4/30/2023 at 9:55 PM, wpbooks01 said:

Obtained these delights yesterday and mulling whether to do the slab dance since they are duplicates!

Fantagor1.jpg.08082d4b600ac19df6718bdd0a5ee96c.jpg

VOC.thumb.jpg.da17d0f09657afdcc6b0c13c7583e668.jpg

Too beautiful ones! Very nice lot, congratulations.

On 4/16/2023 at 11:09 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Saw this on a Facebook group and my jaw dropped. May 6th

Screenshot_20230416_121448_Chrome.jpg.13064978c26e2a0b66f9ee5168c9ceef.jpg

Anybody else score their copy of this yet?  31 pages of stories, about half in color, I think they're all reprints.  But one of them is "Phineas Becomes a Suicide Bomber", which I don't think was ever in an issue of Freak Brothers.  So this gets filed as FFFB 14 with the rest of the run for sure.

I really need to track down a copy of #13, for that matter...

On 5/6/2023 at 2:03 PM, OtherEric said:

Anybody else score their copy of this yet?

FabulousFurryFreakBrothers13F.thumb.jpg.ba345f4e240dc6cff7999affe9e39c37.jpg

Got mine last year...

But one of them is "Phineas Becomes a Suicide Bomber", which I don't think was ever in an issue of Freak Brothers.

That sounded familiar to me, so I did a little digging, and it appears in this "Fifty Freakin' Years with the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers" book I got from Amazon last year.  What I read says "Phineas Becomes a Suicide Bomber" was a new strip for that book, so it's kind of cool to be included in the FCBD "#14" as well.

FFFBFFYRotated.thumb.jpg.eeda85912c547a62e552ccdcb58789c8.jpg

Edited by Axe Elf

On 5/6/2023 at 1:41 PM, Axe Elf said:

That sounded familiar to me, so I did a little digging, and it appears in this "Fifty Freakin' Years with the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers" book I got from Amazon last year.  What I read says "Phineas Becomes a Suicide Bomber" was a new strip for that book, so it's kind of cool to be included in the FCBD "#14" as well.

It's definitely not completely new... I have it in Zap Comix #16... but a large percentage of the Freak Bros comix books are reprints from other places, so it fits nicely and makes me happy.

On 5/6/2023 at 4:41 PM, Axe Elf said:

Rad Mary Janecover‼️👍

Haven't seen that edition previously. I have a signed/ltd. and a regular unsigned copy of this edition I found at a library book store a few years ago for a couple of bucks! My favorite version of the Kafka book, since I already had a few of the pb versions that came out before!

CrumbKafkaHC.jpg.e294807b84b72eb98788a2e41d01a150.jpg

In other UG news, I discovered this while perusing new arrivals at the Bud Plant web store! The 4th edition of the Corben Plague classic, and apparently only 500 copies. Continues the numbering, though having skipped a couple of numbers, of an EC Fanzine that I thought no longer extant! Happy to see that is not the case, but now champing at the bit for the 2 yet to exist issues in the run, numbers 14 and 15!!!

Corbentale-horror-from-the-crypt-of-fear-book.jpg.f841b9f987769e8964904f6b695e7623.jpg

On 5/6/2023 at 12:03 PM, OtherEric said:

Anybody else score their copy of this yet?  31 pages of stories, about half in color, I think they're all reprints.  But one of them is "Phineas Becomes a Suicide Bomber", which I don't think was ever in an issue of Freak Brothers.  So this gets filed as FFFB 14 with the rest of the run for sure.

I went specificaly to get that one. Best book of the day. It has been so long that I have read them, the stories seemed fresh. They are timeless anyway. Highly recomended. 

A guy came by my booth at the flea market on Sunday with a little red wagon full of these. I’d never seen it and he gave me one. There were a couple hundred of them as well as a pretty similar amount of Air Pirates Funnies #1. They guy had brought them to sell to somebody. He gave me one of each. Apparently, they had originated from Gary Arlington in the Bay Area. And this guy bought them from the guy that got them from Gary (or his estate).

Just a bit of information for everybody. The market is about to be flooded with tons of unread copies…

IMG_6588.jpeg