• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,304 posts in this topic

Just to show how much is still to be sorted out or discovered about Underground Comix, I thought I would post this item. Snatch is one of the big series in Undergrounds, but the print run it isn't really known. JK guide wasn't really clear and the UGComix.info site has errors also on this one.

Here's 2 copies of Snatch #2. Neither fall into any printing posted on UGComix.info.

Both have the juices page on page 15 (JK 3rd? print) but no color. These are both clearly different printings. They are both early printings as they are just blue/orange cover and are hand assembled. But the glossy cover one (paper is glossy, but thinner and faded/turning cream) is I believe the JK 3rd?/UGComix.info 3rd without juice color so they probably had both color and non-juice color variants. The other is a matte thicker cover stock (bright white that doesn't seem to be yellowing like the inside pages), but has only blue/orange cover inks (ignore the black marker scratched out cover price), this is probably a previously undocumented printing between the 3rd and Print Mint 4th printing.

Snatch2a.jpg

matte (orange is actually lighter than showing, but a little darker than the other one)

Snatch2z.jpg

glossy (orange is lighter than scanner is showing)

First time I've ever seen a picture of #2, seems to show up much less often and and I couldn't even find a picture of #2 anywhere until this one showed up. Nobody could verify what Wonder Wart-Hog story was in it until I verified it with the seller.

This just might be (more like probably or at least now known) the first non-self published (ProJunior) appearance of an Underground Comix Character. The oldest Underground related item I've been able to find reference to is Frank Stacks first issue work that appears in a issue of Texas Ranger in 1956. (I'm working on something else that might be older, but haven't got a copy yet so I'm holding off on releasing what that it until I do).

In case you don't know, the first appearance of Wonder Wart-Hog in the March 1962 issue of Bacchanal is on the left with the color first splash page, the story was reprinted in Charlatan #1 (1963) but with a B&W different first splash page on the right. The rest of the art/story is the same for each, save for slightly larger size of the Bacchanal and that the printing quality/shade is better on the Charlatan.

DSCF9193.jpg