• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,308 posts in this topic

I think there would be more activity if the thread weren't in the least visited forum. But yeah, as compared to mainstream comics of the Silver and Bronze ages, there is far less interest. The general lack of long term continuing series and haphazard appearances of major characters probably doesn't help with fanboys used to easily filing their runs.

So who else picked up the Rand Holmes book from Fantagraphics? Lots of great info and misc. rarely seen art, as well as a nice selection of his stories, which I'd otherwise never get around to combing through my boxes to reread. My only complaint is that they didn't reproduce more Georgia Straight tabloid covers - and larger too, as those aren't something I'd ever get around to collecting myself.

Thanks Eggs for introducing me to Rand Holmes. Went out and purchased myself a lil addition to my comic illustrator library.

http://www.amazon.com/Artist-Himself-Rand-Holmes-Retrospective/dp/1606991701

The author is a great guy I value calling a friend (who I received a surprise from in the mail Friday). If you like this book, be sure to check out his book on another Underground artist, Greg Irons and of course the quintessencial book on the history of Underground Comix "Rebel Visions".

I bought this recently from Robert Crumb's brother in law, Alex. It is a New years card from the family. All are self portraits and it is signed , in pen, by Robert, Aline his wife, Sophie his daughter and Alex, his brother in law. I was told only 25 were made and given to friends/family. Pretty cool!

SCAN0007.jpg

A couple Underground related items...

A page dedicated to Plymell's The Last Times (issue #1 has the first Plymell printed Crumb item included).

http://realitystudio.org/bibliographic-bunker/charles-plymell-and-now/archive-of-charles-plymells-the-last-times/comment-page-1/#comment-130950

An early Branaman item (probably done before Robert Ronnie Branaman that Plymell printed in 1963).

cartunes.jpg

I finally got some Deitch art in the last ComicLink auction. Does anyone have any info on this exhibit, like what year?, or a scan of the published piece? Thanks.

And a Waldo piece at that! Very nice!