• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,063 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2021 at 2:37 PM, Figment said:

I feel the same way about this one.  Had to do some SERIOUS value shifting within the collection to get it, but it was totally worth it.  Congratulations, that's a fantastic pickup!

mm4.jpg

I love your book....one of the all time great early Timely covers.  I also traded many long held amazing books to upgrade to my #2....totally worth it!

On 12/30/2021 at 1:16 PM, Timely & War Covers Fan said:

I enjoy this thread, but I don't really share.  But since I picked this one up recently, I wanted to show it.  I never thought I'd own this book.  I could never afford a high grade copy and according this this site, there are only 13 copies <= 2.5.   Anyway...this is one of the prides of my collection....

MMC2.JPG

Killer book and pride well deserved!:applause:

On 12/30/2021 at 2:37 PM, Figment said:

I feel the same way about this one.  Had to do some SERIOUS value shifting within the collection to get it, but it was totally worth it.  Congratulations, that's a fantastic pickup!

mm4.jpg

That is a really important book and one I'd love to have! Congrats!

I don't have a Timely book to post, but I hope to rectify sometime this year. I know there are many Timely aficionados that post in this thread. If I was trying to obtain a Timely super-hero book from the 1940s, what series or what issues would be best for me to pursue? I would be more than happy with a reader copy, but I don't want a coverless copy. My budget would probably be no more than $1,500. I know that won't buy much, but I'm hoping I can track down one Timely book from the 1940s that fits my budget.

On 1/1/2022 at 6:05 PM, Math Teacher said:

I don't have a Timely book to post, but I hope to rectify sometime this year. I know there are many Timely aficionados that post in this thread. If I was trying to obtain a Timely super-hero book from the 1940s, what series or what issues would be best for me to pursue? I would be more than happy with a reader copy, but I don't want a coverless copy. My budget would probably be no more than $1,500. I know that won't buy much, but I'm hoping I can track down one Timely book from the 1940s that fits my budget.

For investment purposes, get a Schomburg WWII cover, preferably from his later, busier cover period. The craziest one you can (MM46).

For me, I'm all about the Kirby, so I'd need a S&K Cap. If I could only have one Timely, it would be All-Winners #1; the only comic to have a Schomburg cover; and a Kirby Cap, Everett Subby, and Burgos Torch stories in one book. 

x2 on the Schomburg WW2 cover, you just can't go wrong with those regardless of title.  The good news is it's doable, and there's probably a few folks around here that may be able to help.

You might also look at Kid Komics and Young Allies with Schomburg art. They've gone up in price but are not as crazy, yet, as the other Schomburg stuff..

You'll get a variety of opinions on this and nearly all would be correct.  IMO, you can't go wrong with any pre/post or wartime Schomburg and $1500 should get you into the ballpark for an appealing mid-grade restored book or an ungraded reader that's complete.  Given the stratospheric prices Alex's covers can pull down, patience is required, but is usually rewarded.  

Enjoy the hunt and good luck! (thumbsu

On 1/1/2022 at 7:05 PM, Math Teacher said:

At the last local show a friend picked up a low grade but presentable Daring Comics 11 for $250.00!! All attached too. The dealer found it in a box he just bought and didn't know how to price it.

On 1/1/2022 at 7:19 PM, KirbyJack said:

For investment purposes, get a Schomburg WWII cover, preferably from his later, busier cover period. The craziest one you can (MM46).

For me, I'm all about the Kirby, so I'd need a S&K Cap. If I could only have one Timely, it would be All-Winners #1; the only comic to have a Schomburg cover; and a Kirby Cap, Everett Subby, and Burgos Torch stories in one book. 

Bill Everett  covers are pretty rare and few and far between in the entire run . Most timely hero books are getting very expensive 

On 1/1/2022 at 4:05 PM, Math Teacher said:

Here are some Timelys that might be in the $1500 or less range that I would recommend. There's not much in the market lately as they all seem to be locked up in personal collections.....You should get the Gerber Photo journals if you are remotely serious about exploring GA Timely covers. I studied them like SAT prep back in the day and look where it got me :wavingwhiteflag:

:xAll Select 2 - might be able to get an entry level 1.0 for $1500 range (a "prime" Cap cover)

(thumbsuAll Select 3 - might be had in a 2.0 (best "little" book cover in the run for me)

:manhero:All Winners 7-12 (all decent Cap and Company covers)

:headbang:Cap 33 maybe in a 1.0 - 1.5 (the best Cap cover in the later 26-39 run for me)

(worship)Human Torch 8 - I remember when $1500 could get you a FN copy lol good luck now...it was around $400-$500 a point for years, but I think a 1.5 raw sold on HA last weekend for $2200 range....the poor man's Marvel Mystery 9, and a titanic "in your face" Torch pose

:Rocket:Marvel Mystery 15, 36 - both probably in 2.0 range (I always thought the 15 and 36 were microcosms or each other with the under water tunnel)

:cool:Sub-Mariner Comics 6 - 1.5 to 2.0 range 

:applause:USA Comics 8 - Might be able to barely squeeze in a 1.0, these were pushing $2k entry level last I saw....my favorite in the Cap USA cover run (yes, I like it better than the 7)

:preach:USA 10 - 1.0 - 1.5 range (big, front and center Cap war cry cover)

On 1/1/2022 at 6:19 PM, KirbyJack said:

I did not realize this. That is good to know. I’ve never thought the cover looked like Schomburg, but my respect for the book has just gone up

Well, I was offered a copy of MMC #65 from a user on IG for $750. It does have a Schomburg cover, but there's a substantial amount of water damage on the back. I checked GPA, and a CGC 4.5 blue label of this issue sold for $990 in May, 2021. Unfortunately, it was a "this offer is good for 1 minute" type of offer. I told him that I would prefer to explore all my options before rushing into a purchase. Also, I thought $750 was a little high for a book in this shape. Hopefully, this will not be a decision that I regret in the future.

image.thumb.png.60a3740116d1d6a2bd4af12e7ab76972.png

image.thumb.png.4192e169cbb135665a0438dfe57af4d4.png

Edited by Math Teacher

On 1/3/2022 at 9:45 AM, Math Teacher said:

Well, I was offered a copy of MMC #65 from a user on IG for $750. It does have a Schomburg cover, but there's a substantial amount of water damage on the back. I checked GPA, and a CGC 4.5 blue label of this issue sold for $990 in May, 2021. Unfortunately, it was a "this offer is good for 1 minute" type of offer. I told him that I would prefer to explore all my options before rushing into a purchase. Also, I thought $750 was a little high for a book in this shape. Hopefully, this will not be a decision that I regret in the future.

That’s a good pass. I would try to stick with a war themed Schomburg cover. 

On 1/3/2022 at 11:45 AM, Math Teacher said:

There's a copy of that exact issue in 4.0 on eBay now for $1500.  I agree with pass though, water damage is my number one indicator for "run away".

Edited by Figment