• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,019 posts in this topic

On 4/12/2022 at 4:43 PM, rjpb said:

That's a quite respectable copy for 1970's "NM" Golden Age, as I recall that was a grade given to just about anything that looked better than FN by today's standards, but I'm even more impressed you held onto it since you were a kid. 

Indeed. I remember seeing books that were probably 8.0 today that we all considered nm-m. Then the Church collection appeared and our nm-m books looked like junk…

On 4/14/2022 at 8:20 AM, Robot Man said:

Indeed. I remember seeing books that were probably 8.0 today that we all considered nm-m. Then the Church collection appeared and our nm-m books looked like junk…

I remember one local dealer in Ohio in the early 70s, that seemed to have two grades, VG for anything complete and up to what would be a 3.0/3.5 by todays standards, and NM for anything nicer. Even as 12 year old, I knew his grading was garbage. The value spread from GD to NM was 3:1, then 4:1 in Overstreet, so accuracy in grading wasn't as critical, and I'd sometimes find things to buy from him, as he was willing to negotiate.

The criteria for GD though, doesn't seem much changed from those days, and I've seen more than a few 2.0 slabs of books that look rough enough to have been considered FR by many back in the 70s. VG probably included many books that would be 3.0/3.5 today, though I once found an old list of books I'd had from the mid 70s, and I used +/- and split grades even back then, so it was possible to be somewhat discerning, even if standards were looser. I can recall books being considered VF even if they had color breaking crease or two as long as they were not that large. NM was anything that looked more or less like it had been taken care of since purchase, with things like small spine bends or slight corner dings acceptable, and if it was nicer than that, it could considered MINT, and of course writing the price discretely on the back of a book, even in pen, had no effect on the grade at all.

Edited by rjpb

On 5/12/2022 at 4:30 PM, path4play said:

Most I've ever paid for a comic, and I'm looking for/in need of a back cover.  I'm actually questioning my sanity.

comics034-scaled.jpg

A 4.5 just sold for $10,727 (plus shipping and sales tax), so I don't think you've lost your sanity.

I've got a copy, and honestly, it's the highlight of my collection. I think it's one of the best covers of the entire Golden Age of comics.

MyComicShop.com has an incomplete copy with the back cover, at a crazy price - but it's been for sale there FOREVER! It didn't sell when they had it priced at $800, and it sure isn't selling now. Make them an offer, see where it goes. Sell whatever is left for whatever you can get for it. https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=51099815

On 5/12/2022 at 7:59 PM, Mike Bromberg said:

A 4.5 just sold for $10,727 (plus shipping and sales tax), so I don't think you've lost your sanity.

I've got a copy, and honestly, it's the highlight of my collection. I think it's one of the best covers of the entire Golden Age of comics.

MyComicShop.com has an incomplete copy with the back cover, at a crazy price - but it's been for sale there FOREVER! It didn't sell when they had it priced at $800, and it sure isn't selling now. Make them an offer, see where it goes. Sell whatever is left for whatever you can get for it. https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=51099815

Wow (thanks), the mycomicshop makes this one seem like a steal!  I agree its instantly a top of my collection and its one of the wildest and most iconic covers of the GA.

On 5/12/2022 at 8:10 PM, path4play said:

Wow (thanks), the mycomicshop makes this one seem like a steal!  I agree its instantly a top of my collection and its one of the wildest and most iconic covers of the GA.

I see that one on mycomicshop sold for $375 only last May 2020.  That would be some flip.  I pushed an offer that was instantly (programmatically rejected).  There are some sellers that simply are unreasonable and will sit on a book stubbornly for years - if not forever.  But I do appreciate the lead, it was worth a try.