• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,019 posts in this topic

I was thinking the same thing.  Just hit it lightly with an eraser?  I would hate to screw something up and I've never cracked open the newer style CGC cases before.  

On 8/6/2022 at 5:58 PM, Courageous Cat said:

looking at that pinwheel pencil drawing, that's an easy fix and would really improve the eye appeal and grade...but that's just my OCD kicking it

Love that Submariner 29. Such a Dali surrealistic cover. As far as that “pin wheel” pencil mark, I believe it is part of a large collection that Dale Roberts found years ago. And, yes, it could probably be easily removed although I probably wouldn’t. It is part of it’s history and pretty unobtrusive. 

On 8/8/2022 at 9:42 AM, Robot Man said:

Love that Submariner 29. Such a Dali surrealistic cover. As far as that “pin wheel” pencil mark, I believe it is part of a large collection that Dale Roberts found years ago. And, yes, it could probably be easily removed although I probably wouldn’t. It is part of it’s history and pretty unobtrusive. 

Great cover of a rare and highly desirable issue (only 17 unrestored copies in the CGC census).  

Devil's advocate approach on that pencil mark. It may be a roulette spin worth the risk.  Why? Because it is a distraction from an otherwise stellar cover.  Without being an indicator of pedigree the pinwheel on a white background draws too much attention to itself.  As long as it can be erased without impacting the surface patina of the book this seems like an entirely reasonable consideration if left to a professional. Dependent on other factors, it might even raise the Universal grade (the book does present very well for grade outside of that pencil mark). There are 7 higher graded copies and three of those are 5.0, so any kind of bump would be a major league win, IMO. It's a judgment call, but that's my two cents.

On 8/10/2022 at 7:53 PM, Ameri said:

I saw this ad in Cap 14. Besides the colors, the rough on the left is noticeably different to the finished cover like the coloring of the Japs and the Jap on the left with his eyes closed. Those crazy Timelys!

young allies 3 rough & finished.jpg

Goodman at his wildest and finest. 

On 8/10/2022 at 9:53 PM, Ameri said:

I saw this ad in Cap 14. Besides the colors, the rough on the left is noticeably different to the finished cover like the coloring of the Japs and the Jap on the left with his eyes closed. Those crazy Timelys!

young allies 3 rough & finished.jpg

Those changes are pretty dramatic.  Clearly the art was revised in several areas after Martin Goodman's review.  The street date for CA #14 was March 5th and for YA #3 was March 12th. To me that suggests these decisions were made on the fly and Al Gabrielle had a short TAT on the B&W art.  The fact that the color artist for the house ad chose subtler hues and less offensive stereotypes is interesting. From my perspective, it looks like two different colorists worked on this.  For the most part the less busy earlier version works well, although the red, white & blue color emphasis on the final version is best. Some changes merely tightened up the art a little, but "Remember Pearl Harbor" seems almost like a no brainer in early '42. 

On 7/10/2022 at 6:20 PM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Sub-Mariner Comics #26 a.jpg

Sub-Mariner Comics #28 a.jpg

Sub-Mariner Comics #29 a.jpg

Couple of my old Subbys nice to see they are in a new home . I sold my 32 issue run not long ago to Big B Comics in Ontario Canada most ended up on eBay . Issue 26,28 def were mine . I had lower grade 29 in my PC.