• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

On 2/8/2022 at 1:47 PM, Straw-Man said:

pleased with the grades and the pq!

the first three are among my all time favorite Timely's, nice looking copies Billy!

Edited by podboy66

On 2/7/2022 at 6:13 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

I'm curious as to whether there were licensed rights involved in these editions (all appear to be B&W) or simply international borders presented an opportunity for foreign language publishers during wartime.  At any rate, this is a very detailed swipe of Schomburg's cover for Marvel Mystery #40, the most noticeable difference being that the parachute is partially redrawn.  It's worth noting that the Brazilian publisher seemed to follow the color guidelines very closely on this one.

:cheers:

Not all of them are BW. Depends on the publisher and whether it's a regular edition or an annual one. For Timely, all or nearly are probably BW.

On 2/7/2022 at 7:39 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

I'm not absolutely sure that international licensing wasn't involved, but I doubt the artists who worked on the original American comics received payment or attribution.  If any rights money changed hands it was likely directed into the publisher's wallet.  The Brazilian artists seem to have taken a lot of liberties with the characters on other covers I've seen, not that they're all badly done.   That thread is quite interesting if you haven't seen it.  If I can find the link, I'll send you a PM. (thumbsu

International licensing was involved, one cannot keep doing this for years, even for decades, illegally.

Publishers just didn't know or simple didn't care. I am fairly sure they didn't receive a copy of the vast majority of international editions. And even if they did know, they possibly wouldn't care. The books would never show up in the US anyway and probably only a few people were involved in international licensing.

The Brazilian artists seem to have taken a lot of liberties with the characters on other covers I've seen, not that they're all badly done

IMO, they are often better, wheter being partial redraws of the original cover like this...

human-torch.jpeg.547f1d7e8b93bcca36dcd875f16336bd.jpeg

gibi-mensal.jpeg.c86a436a8b51f4e84889f0c2ff643d9a.jpeg

....or inspired from an interior panel (or more than one) like thesegibi-30.jpeg.b0b3f697996fe99bc977adcc0b410386.jpeg:

gibi-mensal-3.jpeg.b5cf9039c257bd4c2e44a2cc94f43092.jpeg

gibi-mensal-5.jpeg.ac464dd61a80bfcb80591c37bdccf19a.jpeg

The above MM40 redraw was made by Gutemberg "Guto" Monteiro, that would in future, work on Creepy, Eerie and Tom & Jerry dailies. Apparently there is a guy that have some of his OA. By the way, there is certainly more than five copies of this Globo n°43.

Edited by Kromak