• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,019 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2022 at 7:21 PM, podboy66 said:

Just in, this completes my All Select run.  Looks great in hand.

9530E513-35B1-40DE-81A6-6C8AD8B6463E.jpeg

Nice Vern! The Schomburg sig on my copy is cut off the same way - SCHOM.  One of my all time primetime books :preach:

On 4/9/2022 at 11:06 AM, Mike Bromberg said:

I could really use a copy of AS #1, if anyone is selling. Missed out on that 3.5 (that was posted the other day 😔).

PM sent

On 4/12/2022 at 2:40 PM, MrBedrock said:

That's a great story Bob.

I got mine sometime around 1976. I had just started subscribing to The Comic Buyers Guide. I used to run from the school bus to the mailbox every Thursday. One day The American Comic Book Co. had an add that included Human Torch 23. I don't remember the grade but it was probably nm. The price was $40. The next day I got a money order and sent it to them. A couple of weeks later it showed up...

ht23.jpg

Did you know you wanted that issue?  Were you familiar with the cover?  

On 4/12/2022 at 4:06 PM, buttock said:

Did you know you wanted that issue?  Were you familiar with the cover?  

Absolutely. It is prominently featured in the Timely chapter of Steranko's History of Comics.

On 4/12/2022 at 1:40 PM, MrBedrock said:

I got mine sometime around 1976. I had just started subscribing to The Comic Buyers Guide. I used to run from the school bus to the mailbox every Thursday. One day The American Comic Book Co. had an add that included Human Torch 23. I don't remember the grade but it was probably nm. The price was $40. The next day I got a money order and sent it to them. A couple of weeks later it showed up...

ht23.jpg

Sweet book and great story!

There is an outside chance that could be a San Francisco copy.

I remember the American Comic Book Company very well. David, Terry & Carl were the rock stars of comics in the LA area. They used to have so many books walk through the doors everyday they couldn't even process them. There were boxes and stacks of GA & SA all over the back room.

They were making a couple trips a month to the Bay Area buying from Bob, Redbeard and others in the area right in that time period.

I was in the back room one day and there was a large unbagged pile of mostly Timelys. David told me they were from "that Frisco collection" They were jaw dropping. I managed to scrape up enough to buy a couple of Marvel Mysterys. 

The Buyer's Guide and the American Comic Book Company...:x A great time and place to be a comic book collector!

Here's my meager copy...

comhumantorch23.jpg

On 4/12/2022 at 1:40 PM, MrBedrock said:

ht23.jpg

That's a quite respectable copy for 1970's "NM" Golden Age, as I recall that was a grade given to just about anything that looked better than FN by today's standards, but I'm even more impressed you held onto it since you were a kid. 

On 4/11/2022 at 8:53 AM, Robot Man said:

One of my favorite Timelys. Funny story how I got mine.

Years ago I decided to hit a used book store by my work. Went in and asked the little old lady if they had any old comics. She of course said no. I then noticed a box on a shelf behind her that said “old comic books”. So I asked her if I could take a look. She seemed surprised but pulled it down. This was the first book in the box. I about soiled myself. I had never seen it. It was unbagged with a bunch more. Mostly Dells and humor but there were a few DC and superhero books. I pulled out all of them. 5 or 6 and asked how much?

She looked me straight in the eye and told me that they were rare and expensive. I said ok how expensive and she said $100. In a firm voice. I tried to act like I was “thinking about it” then pulled out the cash and hit the door.

Pretty sure that was it so I never went back. Besides, I don’t think she was the owner and I didn’t want to get popped for being “that guy” if the owner found out. 

If they were all unbagged, chances are no one at the store really realized what they were worth, but tell us you weren't tempted to ask "Would you take $80?".

On 4/12/2022 at 4:47 PM, rjpb said:

If they were all unbagged, chances are no one at the store really realized what they were worth, but tell us you weren't tempted to ask "Would you take $80?".

Oh, hell no. Over many years buying junk, I have learned when some one offers you a deal, you just pay what they want and walk away happy.