• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,019 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2023 at 3:05 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I like the attempt by Timely to create super villains in the later 40s. There was a villain who had 2 stories rather early, The Black Talon. He appears in Cap #9 and inside Young Allies #2, both of which are at the very end of 1941. Perhaps my favorite later villain was Asbestos Lady, first appearing in Cap #63 (with a Parrot cover), but then getting a fantastic cover on Human Torch #27. The Shark was another villain Subby got to deal with. They all had potential, but most were introduced too late to be fully explored. I just grabbed these random images from other places. These aren't my books.

Timely Captain America 9 9.0 ow (2).jpg

Human Torch 27 9.2 c-ow (2).jpg

Subby 23 (2).jpg

Captain America 63 (2).png

I like the idea of The Black Talon, ...you can't go wrong with an evil artist! :bigsmile:

The other characters should've been explored to a greater degree.  Asbestos Lady could've given rise to Cancer Girl, etc.  Alas, the Shark is a bit just too much like The Parrot in that it displays Syd Shores' penchant for nose fetishism (let's just call it sinus overreach). 

On 2/26/2023 at 3:16 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

I like the idea of The Black Talon, ...you can't go wrong with an evil artist! :bigsmile:

The other characters should've been explored to a greater degree.  Asbestos Lady could've given rise to Cancer Girl, etc.  Alas, the Shark is a bit just too much like The Parrot in that it displays Syd Shores' penchant for nose fetishism (let's just call it sinus overreach). 

Yes, the Black Talon should've made a return! 

Asbestos Lady could've easily been a long time Human Torch foil, perhaps giving birth to Wet Blanket Girl (never gets asked to the party) and Backdraft Boy (DEFINITELY don't wanna be around him on Taco Tuesday!!!).

The Shark and the Parrot had some snout, no doubt, but certainly no goofier that the Penguin at DC! I think the only "good" Penguin cover is the one where he has fire coming out of his umbrella, beyond that, they're just some dopey "spinning around in his umbrella or riding an ostrich", so silly I couldn't bring myself to buy one. 

On 2/26/2023 at 7:41 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Yes, the Black Talon should've made a return! 

Asbestos Lady could've easily been a long time Human Torch foil, perhaps giving birth to Wet Blanket Girl (never gets asked to the party) and Backdraft Boy (DEFINITELY don't wanna be around him on Taco Tuesday!!!).

The Shark and the Parrot had some snout, no doubt, but certainly no goofier that the Penguin at DC! I think the only "good" Penguin cover is the one where he has fire coming out of his umbrella, beyond that, they're just some dopey "spinning around in his umbrella or riding an ostrich", so silly I couldn't bring myself to buy one. 

Syd really liked BIG noses on his male villains; there are quite a few of his covers with nasal emphasis. I have no idea who he was using for a model, but they'd have been a rhinoplastic surgeon's dream. xD