• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Question. If someone makes an offer on something in your thread, you accept the offer, then the person making the offer ignores you afterwards, is that considered a problem that should be reported? (I know they read my acceptance as my PM was read). How long would you give the person to respond before considering them a deadbeat?

Question. If someone makes an offer on something in your thread, you accept the offer, then the person making the offer ignores you afterwards, is that considered a problem that should be reported? (I know they read my acceptance as my PM was read). How long would you give the person to respond before considering them a deadbeat?

Yes, that's a problem. One month.

I dont know if it makes a difference, but did they post :takeit: after you accepted the offer?

DRX

They made the offer via PM. Basically asked me if I would you take X amount of dollars for a book and I accepted. I guess one could say they were fishing but they made the offer by asking the question?

That's no different than sending an offer on ebay - if the seller accepts, the auction ends & you're on the hook for the offer. So I really don't see why it should be any different here ...

They made the offer via PM. Basically asked me if I would you take X amount of dollars for a book and I accepted. I guess one could say they were fishing but they made the offer by asking the question?

If you haven't heard a peep from them after a month, I would out them. If this happened to me, I would be OK with some communication from the other party to clear up the matter.

Wow... that's a tricky one.

If they deny it you would have to post the PM.

Did they say in the PM "Would you take $X for it?" but never actually said they would buy it?

They might have been fishing or just poking at you for your lowest level and never really interested in buying it.

"Tire kicking"

Should that be a list level offense?

I don't think we would want to eliminate PM chatter about books.

When a book would hang on a sales thread for more than a day I have gotten a few PMs along the lines of "What is your best price?" or "Would you sell it at cost?".

If I agreed to sell it at cost but they decided not to buy would they go on the list?

:devil:

"Would you take X dollars?" is a question, not a commitment.

If someone asked me that, and I said yes, I would then expect them to confirm that offer before holding them to the purchase. After all, they may still need to figure out their finances, or some other thing.

Yeah, just finished reading up on it. What a scumbag deadbeat. The litany of horror stories associated with dealing on this board seems to grow every day. Caveat emptor (and venditor) my friends.

An awful big deal to back out of. Some people don't make that much a year.

In Arkansas, they call those people "the rich folk"....

(duck)

Can't speak for either of them,

I'm sure you'll manage. :gossip:

Seeing that I don't know TFL nor have ever had any dealings with him, I sincerely doubt so - but don't let the facts get in the way of your trolling :gossip:

Them is a complex word. It contains more than one entity.

Therefore, I have used your word them correctly, as it concerns one of them, but not necessarily TFL.

Indeed you have no discernable trouble in manufacturing enormous amounts of sympathetic posts in regards to the other unnamed entity.

Now trolling also is another word that seems to be lacking in your overall ability of grasping certain concepts.

To accuse me of trolling you would need to show where I have followed you into this thread from a very recent thread.

This is not the case, as a simple search of my posts will reveal.

I merely arrived in a Discussion thread (of all things), and joined you in the ongoing discussion.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Wow.

Mild mannered mica layeth down the smack.

I wonder what BellaDonna would say about that.... hm

(thumbs u

Seeing that I don't know TFL nor have ever had any dealings with him, I sincerely doubt so - but don't let the facts get in the way of your trolling :gossip:

Therefore, I have used your word them correctly, as it concerns one of them, but not necessarily TFL.

Indeed you have no discernable trouble in manufacturing enormous amounts of sympathetic posts in regards to the other unnamed entity.

Now trolling also is another word that seems to be lacking in your overall ability of grasping certain concepts.

To accuse me of trolling you would need to show where I have followed you into this thread from a very recent thread.

I merely arrived in a Discussion thread (of all things), and joined you in the ongoing discussion.

Wow.

(thumbs u

...or Clive, or 8milereacharound, or........................

"Them", indeed, refers to more than one entity - which is exactly how I used the word seeing that I was making an educated guess as to why two members of the probation list were still posting on these boards. You, on the other hand, felt that "them" should refer to Comicsupply only because otherwise your little out-of-context jab wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.

Oh, give it UP, Schmidty! You said "either of them", which means EITHER, not both. Mica's usage was perfectly correct. lol

Wow.

(thumbs u

...or Clive, or 8milereacharound, or........................

We only need Domo to make this reunion complete...

:cloud9:

I'd say it depends an awful lot on the wording....

"Would you take $X? I can give that much, and would want it if you can go that low."

... is different from...

"Hey, just thought I'd check to see if you could go as low as $X."

The first is almost like a tentative :takeit: . And, the second is sort of a "feeler" question. I've made offers, and every single time the seller asks me to post a :takeit: if their ability to take that offer is accepted. I've had alot of people I accepted offers on, and in some cases I couldn't get back to them right away. By the time I did, they had already spent the funds they intended to use elsewhere. Or, they just changed their mind. Although I think it's important to have a standard on selling, I don't think the probation list should be incredibly grey. Otherwise I'd probably have put a half dozen people on it, and might have ended up on it myself. :insane:

I'd let the all mighty :takeit: rule the day, and make only serious phrases of acceptance control weather I put them on the list.

I almost feel like it's a, "If you have to ask if they should go on the list, they probably don't deserve to be there."

"Would you take X dollars?" is a question, not a commitment.

If someone asked me that, and I said yes, I would then expect them to confirm that offer before holding them to the purchase. After all, they may still need to figure out their finances, or some other thing.

+1

If I do send a PM to a seller about a particular item and question whether he/she would take a certain price for it, by that point I'm usually committed to paying that amount. I normally go about it like this:

"Hey seller! Would you be willing to accept an offer of $XX.XX for your XXXXXX? If so, :takeit:. "

So I make it clear up front that if the seller is willing to accept that amount, then I'll go ahead and buy. But that's just me. I'm sure a lot of people are just fishing to see how low the seller would go. Until they actually put up the :takeit: or stated it in words I wouldn't exactly call that a "deal" at that point. Seems the buyer would have to really commit to it first.

Here's my 2¢... The item is still active in your auction and available while the PMing is occuring. So it is still up for grabs and would not hold someone via a PM inquiry until they responded to your acceptance. With that said, personally, I would feel inclined to continue with the sale but that is just me.

He never really put up the I'll take it sign, did he?

No. The thread was closed when the offer was made. He has made offers before on my books wihch I countered with another number, nothing ever culminating in a sale. He has been a member of the boards for 9 months but never has made a post. The PM was "would you take $X and $X for these 2 books". I responded with "one book is no longer available but I will take your offer on the other book". He read the response but now will not read any further PM's. I think he should at least get back to me one way or the other. I am in limbo with the book. Is it possibly sold or not, should I take it off the market until I hear back?